Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Voom lawsuit moving right along.....

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

"Lawyers for Chuck Dolan’s Cablevision ripped into Dish Network yesterday, saying the pay-TV service wrongfully backed out of an HD service, leaving the Long Island cable company with “massive financial losses.”
Cablevision is seeking $2.4 billion in damages.

Four years after Dolan sued Charlie Ergen’s Dish, the heavyweight legal battle kicked off yesterday at Manhattan state court — with lawyers for both sides throwing legal haymakers before the eight-person jury."

http://www.nypost.co...hQuuFm77ffTCYSK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

If VOOM will prevail .. that would the end of dish as a company. Perhaps it would be good lesson to some ex-gamblers ...

#3 OFFLINE   dewzan

dewzan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

If VOOM will prevail .. that would the end of dish as a company. Perhaps it would be good lesson to some ex-gamblers ...

put down the crack pipe and step away from the computer, you are why to high

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

I'm OK ... no DUI :D

#5 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

This is why companies have insurance for issues like this....

Regardless of the outcome for this court appearance this issue will be stuck in courts for years with all the appeal options. If Dish wins, VOOM will appeal. If VOOM wins, Dish will appeal.

Lawsuits like this only hurt the consumer and these companies fail to realize this. :nono2:
Equipment: 2 Hopper, 1 Joey [soon to be 2 Joeys]

#6 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

As long as there are appeals AMC will never be on Dish.

If they reach an agreement before the case goes to the Jury both sides could win and we could see AMC back on Plus the much requested Monsters HD back.
Yes Monsters HD from voom is an option, it is still out there, just not broadcasting, all the content is there ready to go.

What typically happens in on week 3 one of the side will see that they are loosing based on the evidence presented or blocked and or testimony presented or blocked and they then make a choice.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#7 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

i bet they will settle

#8 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

I wonder if Cablevision ends up owning Dish? :sure:

#9 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

If VOOM will prevail .. that would the end of dish as a company.

Not while anyone alive now lives.....:lol:
Thank you and
Best of luck

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

Didn't Tivo win that case with DISH? Did DISH go out of business?

While DISH may be found guilty of breach of contract the damages Cablevision wants are too high. The Voom channels would have died with the Voom satellite service if it had not been for DISH picking them up. They were not worth the value that Voom has placed on them.

#11 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Voom channels were crap.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Voom channels were crap.

I'm not agree; many posters did disagree with you: read posts after dish pick Voom channels and when they start dropping them and when all lineup from Voom disappear from dish screen.
I had good time, especially first year of viewing full set of channels.

#13 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

The only Voom channel we ever watched was the one that had the concerts and even that was prone to lots of reruns of the same concerts.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#14 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

The only Voom channel we ever watched was the one that had the concerts and even that was prone to lots of reruns of the same concerts.

Rave HD?

#15 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

It's all the reruns that doomed Voom.

I wonder if Cablevision ends up owning Dish?

Cablevision owning Dish? :rolling: I was a customer of theirs in the 80's in N.E. Ohio where they purchased a large suburban cable system from Viacom. Let's just say that the reputation of cable systems in general suffered under their regime. The way they ran Voom was pitiful. When the complaints about reruns came in they could have done something to rectify the situation. Some posters here thought a "less is more" approach where several Voom channels combined content so as not to appear as a theater (same film 5 times a day). Before the days of DVR's a channel like that might have made sense, but no more.

#16 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

Voom channels were crap.

I loved, loved, LOVED Monsters HD. Too bad that at the end on Dish the channel was only showing two movies an evening and then immediately repeating them. After Dish dropped the Voom channels, Cablevision really cut down on the repeats though. It seemed to me that Cablevision almost wanted their agreement with Dish to fail...

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

An evening movie repeated or two movies repeated isn't unheard of on current channels. It works nicely for East Coast/West Coast viewing. The law comes when those movies are repeated again the next month. The total library for Voom just was not big enough to support that many channels.

#18 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Wow!!! I think this says a lot!

When the jurors were out of the courtroom today, lawyers for both sides argued about other Dish documents. AMC’s Snyder said he was “suspicious” that Dish was hiding evidence again. Dish’s lawyer, Charles Kerr, said these communications shouldn’t be shown to the jury because they represented attorney-client discussions.

“Considering the track record of your company,” (Judge) Lowe said to Dish’s lawyer, “you sort of lack credibility.” The judge ordered that the documents be presented to him.

http://www.bloomberg....d-hd-deal.html

#19 OFFLINE   paja

paja

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

I loved, loved, LOVED Monsters HD. Too bad that at the end on Dish the channel was only showing two movies an evening and then immediately repeating them. After Dish dropped the Voom channels, Cablevision really cut down on the repeats though. It seemed to me that Cablevision almost wanted their agreement with Dish to fail...

Another vote for MONSTER HD. It was one of my faves , ever, and it was one of several reasons I ended up dropping DISH that year. Is there any chance it will be back either on DISH or elsewehere as a single channel??

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

There was some sort of international movies channels - forgot it's name - many goods seen there.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...