Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cancellation Watch 2012/13

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

My watch list... so far:

KEEPERS!

NBC:
"Go On"
"Revolution"

ABC:
"Last Resort"

FOX:

CBS:
"Elementary"
"Made In Jersey"

The CW:
"Arrow"

BUBBLE SHOWS

NBC:

ABC:

FOX:
"Ben And Kate"

CBS:

The CW:

UNKNOWN

NBC:
"Animal Practice"
"Guys With Kids"
"The New Normal"

ABC:
"666 Park Avenue"
"Malibu Country"
"Nashville"
"The Neighbors"

FOX:
"The Mindy Project"
"The Mob Doctor"

CBS:
"Partners"
"Vegas"

The CW:
"Beauty And The Beast"
"Emily Owens, M.D."

You can pretty much bet that anything on my "KEEPERS" list will have a good chance of being cancelled... :rolleyes:

~Alan

Yeah, when you don't control the process, you just sorta have to speculate on what will still be there next week. We both have Elementary on our "Keepers" list, so maybe it'll have a chance. But, as you say, it also "...has a good chance of being cancelled".
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,954 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

Yeah, when you don't control the process, you just sorta have to speculate on what will still be there next week. We both have Elementary on our "Keepers" list, so maybe it'll have a chance. But, as you say, it also "...has a good chance of being cancelled".

"Elementary" had decent ratings... so it stands a good chance. I like JLM (still think it's funny he was married to Angelina Jolie), so that's good. It was a lot better than I expected.

"Made In Jersey" will most likely be cancelled shortly. The dialogue needed a lot of work, but I thought it had a LOT of charm. Sadly, a lot of the dialogue that needed work was used in the commercials, so that probably turned a lot of people off...

~Alan

#23 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

"Elementary" had decent ratings... so it stands a good chance. I like JLM (still think it's funny he was married to Angelina Jolie), so that's good. It was a lot better than I expected.

"Made In Jersey" will most likely be cancelled shortly. The dialogue needed a lot of work, but I thought it had a LOT of charm. Sadly, a lot of the dialogue that needed work was used in the commercials, so that probably turned a lot of people off...

~Alan

Wow, learn something new every day - didn't realize Jonny was connected to Angelina!

I haven't watched "...Jersey" ... something about the name of it sorta makes me cringe.

Like most folks here, I'm a bit jaded with all the network hype about their line-ups. History has a way of repeatedly proving them all collectively wrong. My defense mechanism (admitedly, with some Elementary exceptions) is to avoid them until the 2nd or 3rd season - once all the hoopla settles down and I see how they're really doing.

I'm sometimes tempted to take peek at on or two of them (Go On, Last Resort), but that usually ends badly.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#24 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

Wow, learn something new every day - didn't realize Jonny was connected to Angelina!

well...he was Zero Cool.

Angelina couldn't turn him down after that.

:)
3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#25 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,122 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

The Mob Doctor. Most critic reviews weren't very favorable, but it will be cancelled based on ratings alone.

Mob Doctor didn't even make it to my DVR, so I second this one.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#26 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Looking forward to the Arrow on 10/10.
The CW sure could use a hit.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#27 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

The Mindy Project though... wow... I couldn't stand it. I know how I give people a hard time for deciding a show is no good after only seeing 5 minutes of it but I really hated it 5 minutes in. She just wouldn't shut up! I didn't laugh once, not even a chuckle. I forced myself to watch the whole episode though so I wouldn't be a hypocrite. :D

I think I was one of those you said you couldn't understand the 5 minutes in and decide. :)

How does it feel to have wasted the extra 25 minutes watching the whole thing? :lol:

Life is to short to watch a dud. Not to mention I don't enough time to watch all the new shows If I give a loser of a show longer than it deserves.

You have to wonder who picked that bomb and why.

Some other losers Animal Hospital, I watched 5 minutes of that turkey.
666 Park Avenue, I watched the whole thing, won't watch another episode however.

Cheers
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#28 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

I think Last Resort would do better in a later time slot... maybe following Grey's Anatomy instead of in front of it...

but time will tell, and I hope that they do NOT cancel it..

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#29 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

How does it feel to have wasted the extra 25 minutes watching the whole thing? :lol:

At least I can say I gave it a fair shot. :)

You have to wonder who picked that bomb and why.

I think someone at FOX thought she could write since she writes some stuff for The Office (US). She's one of the reasons I didn't like The Office (US).
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#30 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

I think Last Resort would do better in a later time slot... maybe following Grey's Anatomy instead of in front of it...

but time will tell, and I hope that they do NOT cancel it..

I hope they don't either. I liked the Last Resort pilot better than the LOST pilot and LOST went on to be my favorite show of all time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#31 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

ome other losers Animal Hospital, I watched 5 minutes of that turkey.

I suffered through the whole thing just to see more of that monkey. She deserves her own show, IMHO. :P

Crystal is a veteran of movies and TV with an enviable IMDB credit list that includes "The Hangover Part II," "Dr. Dolittle" and "Community," and "Animal Practice" is her first gig as a TV series regular. [more]

Edited by Steve, 02 October 2012 - 01:45 PM.

/steve

#32 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

NBC gave full season orders for GO ON, REVOLUTION and NEW NORMAL. So those are safe for the rest of the year.

Reuters report on NBC pickups

#33 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

The Mob Doctor. Most critic reviews weren't very favorable, but it will be cancelled based on ratings alone.

Mob Doctor didn't even make it to my DVR, so I second this one.

I have to agree, if any show is going to cancelled because of ratings it's this one.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#34 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

The CW sure could use a hit.

CW could use a hit? Or do you mean a show YOU would want to watch?

Just to name a few, not like they are CBS and are turning out high quality shows they are a small network after all but still

Vampire Diaries.........Nikita......Supernatural
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#35 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,341 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

NBC gave full season orders for GO ON, REVOLUTION and NEW NORMAL. So those are safe for the rest of the year.

Reuters report on NBC pickups

I can understand Go On and Revolution getting the full season order, but the New Normal certainly doesn't deserve it imo.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#36 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

I'm not normally the touchy guy, but The New Normal (the mom at least) is so horribly over the top offensive that I can't believe the show's still on the air.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#37 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

CW could use a hit? Or do you mean a show YOU would want to watch?

Just to name a few, not like they are CBS and are turning out high quality shows they are a small network after all but still

Vampire Diaries.........Nikita......Supernatural

While those may be quality shows, their overall ratings are fairly low. The CW is now barely an asterisk on the ratings charts. Here are last season's ratings for those three shows:

Vampire Diaries #139 of 195 shows, 1.30 rating in the demo (CW's highest ranking show)
Supernatural #167 of 195 shows, 0.89 rating in the demo
Nikita #184, 0.61

For the full 2011-12 chart, go to TV By the Numbers

#38 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

I'm not normally the touchy guy, but The New Normal (the mom at least) is so horribly over the top offensive that I can't believe the show's still on the air.

It's not on the air in all markets.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#39 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

Terra Nova was #26 but still got canceled. Wow.

#40 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,341 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

While those may be quality shows, their overall ratings are fairly low. The CW is now barely an asterisk on the ratings charts. Here are last season's ratings for those three shows:

Vampire Diaries #139 of 195 shows, 1.30 rating in the demo (CW's highest ranking show)
Supernatural #167 of 195 shows, 0.89 rating in the demo
Nikita #184, 0.61

I think that the CW would get more viewers if it was in HD in more markets. It is only SD here.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...