Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cancellation Watch 2012/13

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

I can understand Go On and Revolution getting the full season order, but the New Normal certainly doesn't deserve it imo.

I like the New Normal. It catches me off guard all the time, which is rare for a comedy in this day and age where you can usually see the punchline coming well before it arrives. Haven't watched Go On since the initial Pilot after the Olympics and thought that was horrible. Still recording them and might give it another shot.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,537 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

I like the New Normal. It catches me off guard all the time, which is rare for a comedy in this day and age where you can usually see the punchline coming well before it arrives. Haven't watched Go On since the initial Pilot after the Olympics and thought that was horrible. Still recording them and might give it another shot.

My wife loves Matthew Perry, so we kept the show, in spite of the fact I wanted to delete it halfway through the first episode. Watched the 3d episode yesterday, and we actually laughed out loud a couple of times, so it might now be a keeper. :shrug:
/steve

#43 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

The Mob Doctor. Most critic reviews weren't very favorable, but it will be cancelled based on ratings alone.

This
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#44 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

While those may be quality shows, their overall ratings are fairly low. The CW is now barely an asterisk on the ratings charts. Here are last season's ratings for those three shows:

Vampire Diaries #139 of 195 shows, 1.30 rating in the demo (CW's highest ranking show)
Supernatural #167 of 195 shows, 0.89 rating in the demo
Nikita #184, 0.61

For the full 2011-12 chart, go to TV By the Numbers

That's for the overall season, how did those shows do week to week in the core demos? Again for one of the Big Three, they are drops in the bucket. But for the CW, they are gold and that's why I personally consider them to be hits.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#45 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

I usually give new series at least 3 episodes, because Pilots are just setting the stage and usually don't get everything right, the 2nd episodes attempt to fix what didn't work in the Pilots, and the 3rd episodes are when the writers and casts are starting to understand the characters and the direction the show is going.

Go On was good this week, and this week's New Normal was the best to date, filling us in on the background of two significant characters and rounding them out more.

And I think this is the 4th episode of each?

#46 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

mob doctor is on fox not cbs like someone posted earlier,it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be but still not good enough to keep me watching,the new show partners was better than i thought it would be. and i couldnt get through the whole episode of neighbors didnt like it at all! looking forward to chicago fire!

#47 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

I'm not normally the touchy guy, but The New Normal (the mom at least) is so horribly over the top offensive that I can't believe the show's still on the air.

What? Why? I'm loving it. A funny and different series. I didn't expect to like it from the silly previews, so I didn't even set up a series recording, but just caught up with three or four episodes via the NBC iPad app and quickly set up the DVR. Glad it's been picked up for a full season. Hopefully, it gets renewed as well.

#48 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

Anybody have any thoughts on The Last Resort surviving? Saw ep 1 and thought it might be worth watching ep 2, maybe. Wish they had way more global politics/7 Days in May stuff (and missiles) and way less mindless blabbing and idiotic gunplay standoffs and fistfights on the generic, stereotype island.

In fact, a new version of Seven Days in May would make a fantastic series. The idea of the military/industrial/banking/energy complex taking over America isn't that farfetched anymore. K Street has way more clout than Pennsylvania Avenue.

That's the trouble with Last Resort. They kind of bury their lead under the weight of the douchebag island gangster guy and all this feminist palaver with the Admiral's daughter. They need to stick to the point: the country is in crisis and the more direct involvement these characters have with it the better. Unfortunately it seems to be headed for Gilligan's Island territory.

#49 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

I did find myself skipping over several minutes of Last Resort this week, don't care about one character telling the other how they need to stop drinking or how a family member feels. I think I skipped the last 5 minutes altogether. The Stateside part of the story would be great to get into more but I doubt they will, guess I still have Homeland for that kind of stuff.

Just looked Seven Days in May up, going to try and find it and watch it, never heard of it before looks like it should be good.

#50 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

[...] Just looked Seven Days in May up, going to try and find it and watch it, never heard of it before looks like it should be good.

You won't regret it. Gripping.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#51 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

I can understand Go On and Revolution getting the full season order, but the New Normal certainly doesn't deserve it imo.

I agree. Spent 10 min. with New Normal, laughs seemed forced & the characters weren't likeable. Go On is one of our fav's so far. Neighbors seems like a 3rd Rock from the Sun. 1st episode ok.

#52 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Yeah, the brilliant Seven Days in May--and to some extent even Last Resort--is almost shockingly relevant today in a time where certain politicians are routinely using phrases like "Second Amendment solutions" and "the President is not really an American". The extrapolations from that mentality lead directly to takeover conspiracies, nothing subtle about it.

I would say I hope for Last Resort to get another go-round just based on its bold and all-too-relevant premise. Just lose the Gilligan crap.

#53 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

"The Mindy Project" was picked up for a full season, so strike that from the watch list I guess...

#54 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

"The Mindy Project" was picked up for a full season, so strike that from the watch list I guess...

The same goes for "Ben And Kate"...

~Alan

#55 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Mindy was mildly clever but I can't stand looking at her. Ben & Kate has 2 babes. Done deal.

#56 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

NBC has decided to delay the season 4 premiere of Community.

http://insidetv.ew.c...emiere-whitney/
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#57 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Mindy was mildly clever but I can't stand looking at her. Ben & Kate has 2 babes. Done deal.

TMP has Anna Camp in it though (:blush:)...

I liked the first episode of TMP so-so... but the second episode was far superior to the first episode in my mind, and has earned additional chances.

While I find Dakota Johnson attractive, I find B&K very boring. The commercials for it looked really cute, but it's not entertaining to me at all. I'm not a violent person, but Ben could change that about me...

I'll give it a few more tries, but I'm not sure it's Series Link is long for my DVR...

~Alan

#58 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

Maybe I'll give TMP another shot. And B&K could go South pretty fast, it's on the bubble on my DVR. Tried to watch a new Up All Night, and I really like Applegate and Arnett as comic talents, but Maya Rudolph is just beyond insufferable and kills the show for me. And the writing is crap, although those individual uber-hipster throwaway gags and bits remain strong. If the show just lost Rudolph I'd be back.

Bummed they delayed the onset of Whitney as well. Really looking forward to it.

#59 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

Well crap...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#60 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

http://insidetv.ew.c...emiere-whitney/

That doesn't surprise me. NBC loves to abuse Community...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall