Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cancellation Watch 2012/13

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#61 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

"The Mindy Project" was picked up for a full season, so strike that from the watch list I guess...

Unreal! all yak, yak, yak and not funny. I mean come on, I watched a bit of the first episode, and a little bit of subsequent ones and it was all the same. yak, yak, yak and not funny!

I suppose that means that old farts like me just don't understand 'modern' sitcoms... :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

My wife has been trying to watch it. She's not very impressed with it, but then she keeps reminding herself that The Office and Parks and Recreation were also not very good in the beginning either. It's possible that it just needs to find its footing. She was one of the head writers for The Office, so she does know comedy.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#63 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

She was one of the head writers for The Office, so she does know comedy.

Considering NBC destroyed The Office, like they do every other show they steal from the UK, and it's not funny at all I would say she doesn't know comedy. Her new show backs that up.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#64 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,653 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

And the winner is .........

'Made In Jersey' cancelled
Entertainment Weekly
37 minutes ago

Written by
James Hibberd

CBS is pulling Friday night legal drama Made In Jersey from its schedule after only two episodes. That makes Jersey the first cancelled TV show of the fall.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#65 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

I was predicting Mob Doctor, but there was speculation that Fox didn't want the publicity of having the first cancelled series of the season. Well, now that CBS has that honor, I suspect that FOX will very quickly follow with Mob Doctor. The end of the EW article above speculates that FOX will show all episodes of Mob Doctor, but it depends on how much money they are prepared to lose on it.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#66 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,132 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Damn, I was liking that one.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#67 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 612 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

About Community, it is interesting if you look at shows with a canned laugh track versus those without the laugh tracks usually yield better ratings. Then watch the clips of those shows with the laugh tracks removed and see how bad they are. Makes you wonder how that reflects on the people who watch these shows that let you know when to laugh versus those like Community that demand you pay some kind of attention to what is going on.

#68 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

That's one I hadn't even started watching. Guess I'll just delete the recordings.

And I was looking forward to seeing Janet Montgomery. :(
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#69 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

I watched the pilot of Made in Jersey on the CBS website a couple of weeks back, and had a strong feeling it would be cancelled fast, but not that fast! The title was stupid and the plot bland.

#70 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

About Community, it is interesting if you look at shows with a canned laugh track versus those without the laugh tracks usually yield better ratings. Then watch the clips of those shows with the laugh tracks removed and see how bad they are. Makes you wonder how that reflects on the people who watch these shows that let you know when to laugh versus those like Community that demand you pay some kind of attention to what is going on.

I refuse to watch any show with a laugh track (which eliminates 99% of the sitcoms). I find laugh tracks even more irritating than listening to the repetitious stump speeches of the candidates.

#71 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

Considering NBC destroyed The Office, like they do every other show they steal from the UK, and it's not funny at all I would say she doesn't know comedy. Her new show backs that up.

While it was defintely rocky at the start, The Office did find it's voice for a good many seasons. Part of the issue with the show (and other British show remakes) at first is that it tries to rehash the same episodes from the British version. Once they go off onto their own story lines, the show gets a lot better. I think with Steve Carrell leaving that it has finally hit its end though.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#72 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,092 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

While it was defintely rocky at the start, The Office did find it's voice for a good many seasons. Part of the issue with the show (and other British show remakes) at first is that it tries to rehash the same episodes from the British version. Once they go off onto their own story lines, the show gets a lot better. I think with Steve Carrell leaving that it has finally hit its end though.

- Merg

Agreed and I believe this is the final season.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#73 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

While it was defintely rocky at the start, The Office did find it's voice for a good many seasons.

I've watched a couple of episodes from every season so far just to see how it has progressed and I've been less than thrilled each time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#74 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

I'm still expecting the announcement of "The Mob Doctor" being cancelled at any time.

I guess "The Neighbors" got an additional order for more scripts. It isn't for more shows, but that indicates it isn't being thought of for cancellation.
Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#75 OFFLINE   pfueri

pfueri

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

I'm still expecting the announcement of "The Mob Doctor" being cancelled at any time.

I guess "The Neighbors" got an additional order for more scripts. It isn't for more shows, but that indicates it isn't being thought of for cancellation.

I think the Mob Doctor is a good show . This should be good for FOX .

#76 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'm not saying it's a bad show, just that its ratings are so bad I fully expected it to be the first cancelled show of the season, and since it isn't first, I expect it to be second.
Luke

#77 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,355 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

Laugh tracks remind me of why I simply loved shows like the Carol Burnett Show. Carol was on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno last week, talking about the newly released Time Life DVD of her show (the DVDs used to be via mail order only). Carol was discussing with Jay the lack of good comedy shows today, especially good sketch comedy.

I grew up with the Carol Burnett Show and still find it hysterical, especially when you knew a lot of the acting was unscripted. Tim Conway especially was good at that. Carol explained that they'd do two shows on Friday, the first taped in front of an audience, and Conway would do his scenes to the letter of the script. For their 2nd show that evening, they went live and Conway did a lot of his own stuff, often causing his scene partners to simply break up laughing their butts off.

Jay played an example of this as Carol explained the scene where Conway played a dentist and Harvey Korman the patient. Harvey was in the chair and Conway was trying to treat him, but Tim accidentally injected novacaine into his own right hand then his right leg, and the mannerisms Tim acted out were unscripted and making Harvey crack up in the chair as the audience was going hysterical as well.

And who could ever forget the famous "Went with the Wind" scene where Harvey is staring in costume at Carol Burnett, also in costume, who just walked down the spiral stairs of a mansion set to look like the one in Gone with the Wind, and who was dressed in an elaborate dress that featured a large curtain rod Carol ripped from the window and used to prop up the rear top part of her gown. Harvey commented on that, to which Carol responded something like, "Thank you. I saw it in the window and just had to have it."

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#78 ONLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

Second show to be cancelled. But it was not predicted by anyone in this thread. Next Caller on NBC is done before it even begins.

http://blog.zap2it.c...led-by-nbc.html

#79 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:48 AM

Second show to be cancelled. But it was not predicted by anyone in this thread. Next Caller on NBC is done before it even begins.

http://blog.zap2it.c...led-by-nbc.html

Wow, it must have been really awful if they were willing to flush that much investment down the toilet. Maybe NBC is starting to wake up.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#80 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

Wow, it must have been really awful...

Two words, Dane Cook.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...