Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cancellation Watch 2012/13

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Raising Hope is in no danger of cancellation.

Just wait ... the show will "jump the shark" when they send the main character to prison for a season .....

Seriously, it's a very funny show. I'm a couple of seasons behind watching it on NetFlix.

"Whitney" .... blech. Her other show, "Two Broke Girls" is better.

-- Roger

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

You mean like the one dealing with Alcatraz? One of two Fox Shows I watched last year.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#103 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,206 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Just cancelled Animal Practice. Cute monkey and girl, ugly show.

I really thought NBC was going to pull the plug when it did that sneak preview during the Olympics.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#104 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:54 AM

Raising Hope -- Zero eye candy and the O Look, a dysfunctional family, ha ha! syndrome. El paso.

The Big Bang Theory -- One gag, over and over. Obnoxious, like Chinese water torture.

2 Broke Girls (oddly enough created by Whitney and better than her own show) -- Much worse than her own show. Has some witty lines but the endless cupcake situations with the girls are uber-boring and everytime the grotesque and nauseating Polish blob enters the room I have to fast-forward. Not funny.

Modern Family -- Endless flat and stereotyped gay jokes, a barely updated Charo racial stereotype, and "aren't we funny cuz we're so weird" isn't funny. At all. It's just depressing.

New Girl -- O please. Imma soooo jerky quirky and adorkable! (pout) GACK! Plus she's got an awful sack o flour stumpy bod. El Paso.

Suburgatory -- The girl and dad are so sexy together it's confusing when they never actually pull a Chinatown. This almost makes it but the "fish outa water" plots end up flat and uninventive, and then all you're left with is the snarky dialog, which is ok, but just not enough.

Happy Endings
Don't Trust the B**** in Apartment 23 -- Okay, I admit, they both look promising, fresh, sexy, and fun. I'll check em out.

#105 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,127 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

The Big Bang Theory -- One gag, over and over. Obnoxious, like Chinese water torture.

I did think that the episodes this season have been at least fairly week, though not obnoxious to me. That changed with the last new episode. Hilarious (and sad at the same time.)

But don't a lot of shows have the same kind of thing? Murders committed, solved. Someone has strange disorder no one can figure out, try something doesn't work. Solved at end of show.

I remember back in the 80s, watching Murder, She Wrote. Likable character on the show, all the characters liked her. Always wondered why no one said "Stay away! Whenever you show up, someone gets killed!"

Looks like Private Practice was cancelled too.

Edited by dpeters11, 20 October 2012 - 08:18 AM.

#106 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

That's why I've never been able to get past crime shows. The strict formula is so up front and heavy-handed it's like hearing the same "knock-knock" joke over and over. And the bad guys are always so much more interesting than the good guys, but they always lose. I guess that's why Dexter has hung in there so long.

#107 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

That's why I've never been able to get past crime shows. The strict formula is so up front and heavy-handed it's like hearing the same "knock-knock" joke over and over. And the bad guys are always so much more interesting than the good guys, but they always lose. I guess that's why Dexter has hung in there so long.

The biggest gripe I have about crime shows is that once you reconize the actor playing one of the suspect he is almost the guity one.

#108 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,047 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

The biggest gripe I have about crime shows is that once you recognize the actor playing one of the suspect he is almost the guilty one.

So true. And other give away is a large early talking scene.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#109 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,887 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

Looks like Private Practice was cancelled too.

It's not listed as cancelled by the futon critic. It would be odd to cancel a show this soon into its 6th season.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#110 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

It's not listed as cancelled by the futon critic. It would be odd to cancel a show this soon into its 6th season.

Private Practice Ending - Deadline.com

After this season's 13-episodes, it's curtains for PP.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#111 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,887 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

Private Practice Ending - Deadline.com

After this season's 13-episodes, it's curtains for PP.

Ahhh, that's "ending", not "cancelled" in my book. Cancelled is when they yank it off the air, not when they let it end with a full season, also known as not renewed.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#112 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

Same for Gossip Girl, last season (6th). Had a great run, very successful. But this last season it's totally jumped the shark. It's like the awkward conversation you have with the one-night-stand during your walk of shame. You just wanna get the frick outa there.

#113 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

The biggest gripe I have about crime shows is that once you reconize the actor playing one of the suspect he is almost the guity one.

I think thats why I always liked Law and Order:SVU, they did fall for this trope a few times but they would throw curveballs every now and again too and make a celeb a victim.

Or my favorite is when they foreshadow a celeb as a future suspect :)

#114 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:27 AM

So true. And other give away is a large early talking scene.

That was one thing I liked about Law & Order. The major guest star was not always the one that did it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#115 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

That was one thing I liked about Law & Order. The major guest star was not always the one that did it.

- Merg

I also loved that they would generally have one star play multiple suspects through out the years xD.

I forgot his name but theres this one older gentlemen with white hair, kind of chubby. Im pretty he has always been a suspect on every appearance lol.

#116 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Zooey Deschanel lost about 5 lbs this year so she's a touch more adorkable and a shade less tweenpulsive.

#117 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

NBC cancels 'Animal Practice,' sets Nov. 14 return for 'Whitney'

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#118 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,306 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

NBC cancels 'Animal Practice,' sets Nov. 14 return for 'Whitney'

That's nothing to crow about imo. Both suck.

I've added my own cancellation to a few shows this year. First on the list of returning shows that I removed timers for is Hawaii Five-O. For me if you can't care about any of the characters on a show, especially by the 3rd season, then it isn't doing anything right. I'm tired of the overacting by both the male leads and the mostly idiotic story lines they come up with. Frankly they could kill any of the regular characters off and they wouldn't be missed.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#119 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,627 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

That's nothing to crow about imo. Both suck.

I like Whitney. While it's not in the same league as I Love Lucy, I do enjoy the occasional Lucy-Ricky dynamic between Whitney and Alex. Hopefully there will be more of it this year.
/steve

#120 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, the Whitney-Alex stuff works great, they have real chemistry. The rest of the cast and what they do with them...meh.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...