Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cancellation Watch 2012/13

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   ts7

ts7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

Because you like the show? :)

I don't plan on stopping watching shows just because I know they won't run long.

I watched the first episode of "Last Resort" and liked it but had serious concerns that it appealed to too small an audience. I have recorded every episode in hope that it would make it or at least be given an opportunity to tie up loose ends and make a graceful exit. Unfortunately that doesnt look to be the case so I will probably delete them all before I can get interested and even more disappointed.

Too bad a law couldn't be passed that forced producers and broadcasters to guarantee a series finale that tied up all the loose ends when a show was cancelled.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,289 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

Not watching a program because it might not garner sufficient viewership is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Dumping a season's recorded but unwatched episodes, or even half a season's worth is crazy.

Go figure! :rolleyes:

Too bad a law couldn't be passed that forced producers and broadcasters to guarantee a series finale that tied up all the loose ends when a show was cancelled.

That's what we need -- more laws!!! :nono:

Edited by Nick, 17 November 2012 - 08:45 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#143 OFFLINE   ts7

ts7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

Not watching a program because it might not garner sufficient viewership is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Dumping a season's recorded but unwatched episodes, or even half a season's worth is crazy.

Only if you are a Neilsen household

That's what we need -- more laws!!! :nono:

That was intended to be tounge-in-cheek. ;)

#144 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

I don't want waste my time on a story that has no end. Why start watching something you know not enough people liked to keep it from being cancelled?

Exactly.

Not to mention that I have a DVR full of shows that I don't have time to watch. I'm not going to spend that time on a show that is already cancelled when I can watch a show that has another season instead.

You only have to be bit by the "John Doe" bug once.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#145 ONLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

I too don't get this notion of not watching a season of a series just because it was cancelled. Last Resort will still air all its 13 episodes. Adhering to this standard means missing out on a lot of one-season wonders that were cancelled way before their time (see Freaks and Geeks, my own personal Top-10 series of all time).

#146 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

The show was on before my time, but I still have sleepless nights wondering what happened to Mr. Ed. ;)
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#147 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,848 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Because you like the show? :)

I don't plan on stopping watching shows just because I know they won't run long.

If you don't start watching it, which I haven't, it's impossible for you to "like the show". That's the whole point. Why start if you know it's a loser and was cancelled?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#148 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,848 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

I too don't get this notion of not watching a season of a series just because it was cancelled.

Starting to watch a show you know has been cancelled is comparable to going on a vacation with no destination. You just drive around and never go anywhere.

Last Resort will still air all its 13 episodes.

And I'll continue watching it since I've already started. I haven't even started watching "666 Park Avenue" so why start?

Adhering to this standard means missing out on a lot of one-season wonders that were cancelled way before their time (see Freaks and Geeks, my own personal Top-10 series of all time).

It's not a standard, it's a choice that I've made.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#149 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,848 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

The show was on before my time, but I still have sleepless nights wondering what happened to Mr. Ed. ;)

Glue factory
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#150 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

From IMDB Mr. Ed trivia: The horse that played Mr. Ed is said to have died in 1979 at the age of 30, 33 or 34 (depending on the source). Other, equally reputable, sources give the horse's date of death as 1968, 1973 and 1974.

http://www.imdb.com/...t0054557/trivia
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#151 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

We found out a little about Tabitha Stevens, but nothing about Wednesday Addams.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#152 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

We found out a little about Tabitha Stevens, but nothing about Wednesday Addams.

Here's Lisa Loring's (Wednesday Addams) bio on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0521006/bio
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#153 ONLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Starting to watch a show you know has been cancelled is comparable to going on a vacation with no destination. You just drive around and never go anywhere.

And I'll continue watching it since I've already started. I haven't even started watching "666 Park Avenue" so why start?

It's not a standard, it's a choice that I've made.

It's your right what you watch and how you spend your time, of course, but if something piques your interest and you decide to forgo it just because it was cancelled, well, I think you might be missing out. I'm not saying "666" is any kind of unrecognized masterpiece (I haven't seen it and never planned to), but TV history is full of shows that had the plug pulled on them way too soon, yet they still survive with fans rewatching the episodes they did get over and over (again, see Freaks and Geeks - I'm sure there are many others). So what I'm saying is, the fact that it was cancelled shouldn't be the only deciding factor.

#154 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,848 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

It's your right what you watch and how you spend your time, of course, but if something piques your interest and you decide to forgo it just because it was cancelled, well, I think you might be missing out. I'm not saying "666" is any kind of unrecognized masterpiece (I haven't seen it and never planned to), but TV history is full of shows that had the plug pulled on them way too soon, yet they still survive with fans rewatching the episodes they did get over and over (again, see Freaks and Geeks - I'm sure there are many others). So what I'm saying is, the fact that it was cancelled shouldn't be the only deciding factor.

The fact that it has been cancelled is the major deciding factor. I don't like wasting my time, do you?

You seem to be missing the big point here. I have never started watching "666 Park Avenue". Why start now?

What's the point it starting to watch a show that has subplots and mysteries if those subplots and mysteries are never solved? That would be like watching LOST only up until season 4. It would also be like taking your first bite of a Twinkie, falling in love with it, and then find out you can never have any more.

I don't see "666 Park Avenue" being the next Freaks & Geeks or Firefly.

I'll never understand why every year someone decides to question me and my decision to delete recordings of a show I've never watched because it's been cancelled. Last year I made a deal with someone giving me a hard time about deleting such a show and I actually watched it. Guess what? It was a complete waste of my time and was lame in the end. Oh, and I can't even remember what the show was called now.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#155 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,280 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

OK, my sister-in-law is officially furious that Last Resort has been canceled. When I told her, she yelled at me, "No f-in' way! How am I going to see the hottest guy on TV?!?"

She's apparently referring to Scott Speedman, who plays Sam the XO. I Googled him then told her she can always get all the Felicity reruns. :lol:

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#156 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

The fact that it has been cancelled is the major deciding factor. I don't like wasting my time, do you?

You seem to be missing the big point here. I have never started watching "666 Park Avenue". Why start now?

What's the point it starting to watch a show that has subplots and mysteries if those subplots and mysteries are never solved? That would be like watching LOST only up until season 4. It would also be like taking your first bite of a Twinkie, falling in love with it, and then find out you can never have any more.

I don't see "666 Park Avenue" being the next Freaks & Geeks or Firefly.

I'll never understand why every year someone decides to question me and my decision to delete recordings of a show I've never watched because it's been cancelled. Last year I made a deal with someone giving me a hard time about deleting such a show and I actually watched it. Guess what? It was a complete waste of my time and was lame in the end. Oh, and I can't even remember what the show was called now.

But there are plenty of shows that do wrap things up even after being cancelled. Life on Mars is one for instance. Also, Firefly was a terrific series that was cancelled after one season.

And while you might not see 666 Park Avenue as the next Firefly, how would you know that if you don't give it a try?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#157 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,848 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

And while you might not see 666 Park Avenue as the next Firefly, how would you know that if you don't give it a try?

Why take the risk? I already know it's a failure.

I tried that last year with whatever show it was and it wound up to be a waste of my time.

Guys, it's too late. You can stop berating me now. The episodes are gone!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#158 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,433 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

Go figure! :rolleyes:

Well, yes and no. We're not a Nielsen household and record everything for later viewing. So what we do is irrelevant to the survival of a show. And we belong to an irrelevant demo for live viewer statistics anyway. I've gotten pretty philosophical about the cancellation cycle and practical about recording new shows.

I've recorded most new drama shows this year, watched the first episode, and in some cases then moved the rest of the season to date to an external hard drive.

I judged "666" as a likely ratings disaster. So now I can dump the recordings. No loss. My wife liked "Last Resort", so we've been watching it partly because after watching the first episode I figured it should be a 13 episode show - it should be properly wrapped up in the last two episodes.

During the debate and baseball playoff/series period, we did get caught up on "Chicago Fire." The other two I've gambled on by watching some episodes are "The Mob Doctor" and "Elementary." I liked Jordana Spiro in "My Boys" and she's again proving to be a talented actor in "The Mob Doctor" which may or may not make it on Fox. "Elementary" is quirky enough to make it and is fun to watch. CBS is promoting it.

"Vegas" I wasn't sure about so it's all on the EHD along with "Revolution." If indications are they'll be picked up, we may watch them during the holiday rerun season. Or not. There's so much to watch anyway.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#159 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

Why take the risk? I already know it's a failure.

I tried that last year with whatever show it was and it wound up to be a waste of my time.

Guys, it's too late. You can stop berating me now. The episodes are gone!

I'm not berating you for not watching, but at the same time you can't berate people for watching. To me, TV is entertainment. If a show is cancelled, but the episodes I watched entertained me, that's fine with me.

And not all shows get that happy ending. There are plenty of shows that get a second or third year and then get cancelled without the ability to wrap everything up. Are they failures then too?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#160 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 530 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Watching a known cancelled show is like watching a show based on the Titanic. Pointless because you know how it ends so why bother?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...