Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cancellation Watch 2012/13

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Watching a known cancelled show is like watching a show based on the Titanic. Pointless because you know how it ends so why bother?

That's why the movie failed at the box office.
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 483 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

That's why the movie failed at the box office.

Different theory as to why it didn't: people are dumb and if you throw sappy crap at them they eat it up.

#163 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

I'm not berating you for not watching, but at the same time you can't berate people for watching. To me, TV is entertainment. If a show is cancelled, but the episodes I watched entertained me, that's fine with me.

And not all shows get that happy ending. There are plenty of shows that get a second or third year and then get cancelled without the ability to wrap everything up. Are they failures then too?

- Merg

I haven't berated anyone for watching anything. Watch whatever you want, I don't care. I'm just getting tired of the people who think they need to force me to watch a show that we know has been cancelled.

Yes. Any show, no matter how long it runs, that has some sort of "mystery" to it, that you have to figure out, ending before its time is a failure. Imagine if Dallas would have been cancelled before learning who shot JR.

Edited by RunnerFL, 18 November 2012 - 07:10 PM.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#164 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Watching a known cancelled show is like watching a show based on the Titanic. Pointless because you know how it ends so why bother?

Exactly! Same thing can be said about movies/shows based on The Hindenburg, any real life airline crash, any real life train wreck, etc.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#165 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

ABC Cancels "666 Park Avenue," "Last Resort"

http://www.deadline....bc/#more-373243

Last Resort had so much potential. The story peaked at the pilot and slowly floundered each episode that followed.

I knew 666 wasn't going to make it after seeing the pilot at comic-con. It just wasn't interesting at all to me.

#166 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,357 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Yes. Any show, no matter how long it runs, that has some sort of "mystery" to it, that you have to figure out, ending before its time is a failure. Imagine if Dallas would have been cancelled before learning who shot JR.

In some of those cases, I think it's fairer to say that the show isn't a failure, the network failed the show.

#167 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

In some of those cases, I think it's fairer to say that the show isn't a failure, the network failed the show.

+1

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#168 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

True, let's just say there was a failure somewhere that led to the show's demise.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#169 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

The producer of Last Resort is promising a bang-up series finale. So if you're still watching, it sounds like they're going to try and wrap things up in a satisfactory way.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#170 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,116 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

The producer of Last Resort is promising a bang-up series finale. So if you're still watching, it sounds like they're going to try and wrap things up in a satisfactory way.

Thanks for updating us on this! I love this show and can't wait for a "bang-up" finale. :)

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#171 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Awesome, good news!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#172 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Why take the risk? I already know it's a failure.

I think you're missing the point. It's a "failure" because it was canceled, but once again, there are numerous examples of great series that were canceled which are great series and have lived on long after being pulled off the air. Again, I'm not saying this particular case is such a case, I'm talking hypothetically. I always start watching a new series if I find its premise interesting. If I like it, I'll continue watching. If not, I'll "cancel" it myself. But just because the network canceled it, that's not a reason for me not to watch it, if it's something that seems to be of interest to me (but, apparently, not the network).

#173 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

I think you're missing the point. It's a "failure" because it was canceled, but once again, there are numerous examples

No, you've missed the point. It's my choice and I've made it.

Your example requires you to start watching the show, I never started watching the show. You seem to always miss that point too.

If you were told starting a diet would result in no weight loss would you still start it because "hey, it could be fun and entertaining"?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#174 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

I think you're missing the point. It's a "failure" because it was canceled, but once again, there are numerous examples of great series that were canceled which are great series and have lived on long after being pulled off the air.

Perhaps for you.

I typically delete unwatched recordings every year when I find out a show's been cancelled - and there's many since I usually let new shows pile up before watching them.

There's not a single show I regret deleting. Additionally, I don't watch reruns of anything so "living long after being pulled off the air" has no appeal for me, and with the possible exception of "It's Your Move", can't think of a single show that I've enjoyed that lasted only 1 season.

I do, however, regret watching several first seasons of shows that ended up being cancelled. If I would have known ahead of time that they were being cancelled, I would have deleted them too - which is the main reason I rarely watch new shows until I know they've been renewed.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#175 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:23 AM

I watch episodes, each one into itself. I don't care if they lead to anything or not.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#176 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,808 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

I watch episodes, each one into itself. I don't care if they lead to anything or not.

You can't do that with shows like Lost, 24, Prison Break, and others. That only applies to shows like L&O, CSI, etc.

As for the other debate, I'm with Runner... it's a waste to even watch a show going nowhere.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#177 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Some shows you can do that with, but most these days (thanks to LOST) you can't.

Like it or not LOST changed TV. Everyone is now trying to be "the next LOST", even JJ Abrams himself.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#178 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'm glad I stuck all the way through 13 episodes of Journeyman a few years ago, even after it was officially canceled. I was sad that it was over, but the finale was amazing.

#179 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

ABC Cancels "666 Park Avenue," "Last Resort"

http://www.deadline....bc/#more-373243

I knew that was coming after the first episode despite the fact I semi-enjoyed it.

#180 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,135 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Political drama Boss is canceled.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

spam firewall