Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Logitech "Harmony Touch" Universal Remote

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,782 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Logitech has a new high-end remote for 2012, the "Harmony Touch".

AVS forum has the post (link) and Engadget picked up on it (link), after someone snapped pictures of it at Best Buy. It's not on BB's web site yet, nor is ot on Logitech's web site, so I wonder if it was put out too early at that Best Buy.

From the box it has a large screen in the center with some hard keys above and below it, and the screen is apparently swipe sensitive.

It supports 15 devices, says it has onscreen customization with an asterisk. I presume that's for things like screen on/off duration, brightness, contrast, theme, and not programming devices, but it will be interesting to find out more.

No mention of RF, like the 900, but I do like the charging cradle holds the remote upright instead of prone. That could save some space on my end table. :)

Everything I watch is DVR'd, so I don't the location of the transport keys, all the way at the top, but I'd have to hold it to see if that would really be a problem.

I also don't like the location of the color keys at all, all the way at the bottom of the remote, nor can I tell if there are hard buttons for Guide/Info/Menu/Exit, some other critical keys.

Looks like I'll be making a field trip to Best Buy to see if it's in stock and how much it costs.

Any other Harmony remote users out there want to share your thoughts on this? Or if not a Harmony user, what do you think of this new mysterious remote?

Posted Image

Edited by Drew2k, 30 September 2012 - 09:22 AM.
Fixed link to AVS thread

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

Looks like my 900 with the keys moved. Like you, I am not excited about those key placements.
My Vizio Co-Star remote also has the transport keys on the top, and its a P.I.A.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

I found a pic of it from a cached page through a Yahoo search.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1348967585

Attached Thumbnails

• medium.jpg

#4 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,782 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

Great find David... that remote actually looks more compact than a One or a 900, so maybe the hand/finger-travel from bottom to top won't be so bad.

And it does have Menu and Exit above the navigation keys, but Info and Guide are way at the bottom. That makes no sense!

I also see a dedicated DVR key - I presume that is like List for many systems.

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

That does not look the slightest bit enticing. It would have to have some pretty substantial bells and whistles for me to put up with that layout.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,782 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

That does not look the slightest bit enticing. It would have to have some pretty substantial bells and whistles for me to put up with that layout.

I wonder if sequences ("macros" to the rest of the world) have returned - but even then, at a limit of 5 keys, they weren't that much of a bell or a whistle...

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

They should just write an Ipad or android app, have it sent wireless IP to a wireless router and then have a wireless receiver IR AND RF transmitter hidden somewhere in the room.

Let people configure their own layouts and activities and macros. Just use their database for the inital programming of the devices. A USB IR receiver could be included to allow the Ipad or android device to learn new commands from original remotes.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

I wonder if sequences ("macros" to the rest of the world) have returned - but even then, at a limit of 5 keys, they weren't that much of a bell or a whistle...

I don't think macros will ever return to Harmony remotes unfortunately. That's the only thing I don't like about my 900.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

They should just write an Ipad or android app, have it sent wireless IP to a wireless router and then have a wireless receiver IR AND RF transmitter hidden somewhere in the room.

Let people configure their own layouts and activities and macros. Just use their database for the inital programming of the devices. A USB IR receiver could be included to allow the Ipad or android device to learn new commands from original remotes.

You may want to look at the "Harmony Link" then. Still no macros though...

http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

I've been disappointed in Harmony for a couple of years now. They seem to have abandoned their mid-level remotes which are the ones that I like.

The 670/620 is by far my favorite remote and you just can't find them anymore. When you have kids and hardwood floors, remotes don't last very long and I don't want to drop a couple of hundred dollars on a remote.

I was able to find a couple of 676's on Ebay 2 weeks agao for $40 apiece and while I don't like them as much as the 670/620, they'll do for now.

I just have no need for a color screen, touch, rechargeable, etc., but that's all they seem to be making lately (that or their bottom tier that only handle 3-5 components).

Oh, and that touch looks like it only has one set of ff and rew, so you'd have to put the others on the touch screen I guess (for rewind and slip/skip).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#11 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Yea, I saw that one. Only 8 devices. Not even CLOSE to my needs :) They are on the right track tho. Give it 32 devices, and macros...and RF in addition to IR, and we are talking.

#12 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,458 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

Although only 18 devices, you might want to check out the Acoustic Research Xsight Touch.
Review here: http://www.remotecen...ouch/index.html

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#13 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 543 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

Not a fan of the buttons above the screen. Seems you would accidentally hit one of the screen buttons reaching for one. Ill stick to my one.

#14 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,782 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

Looking more at the touch screen image itself, posted by David Ortiz, it looks like there's one activity per screen and you swipe left or right to see additional activities. I'd hope that's a user-customizable option, so if desired you could see 6 activities per screen, but if it's locked at one activity per screen that yet again would make no sense.

With support for 15 devices you'd think this is targeted towards the higher-end, but I'm completely underwhelmed by what I see so far.

Maybe the price will be a nice surprise. Under $200 maybe?

#15 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

I forgot that Harmony has dropped Sequences from their systems. I dread the day my 890 dies. I have that thing customized up the wazoo.

I'd probably go with an RTI remote when I need to replace my Harmony.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

Although only 18 devices, you might want to check out the Acoustic Research Xsight Touch.
Review here: http://www.remotecen...ouch/index.html

Owned one, not a fan.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

Figures, I just replaced my old 700 with another 700. I wonder though... Is it as customizable? When I set up my new 700 I started with logitech's new myharmony portal, only to realize it didn't support macros or sending additional commands during startup. I went back to the old harmony software. Will the old software support this new remote, or will there be new software to add macros and other customizations to this remote?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#18 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:24 PM

There are three more pics posted at Engadget:

http://www.engadget....-best-buy-leak/

The person who took the pictures has commented in the article and is answering questions.

#19 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,016 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:06 AM

That's how my Redeye Remote works. Control it with a computer, iDevice, or Android. I love it.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#20 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,914 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

It's been a long time since I've programmed a Harmony (my 550 is currently in a drawer). Do I understand correctly that we can't do sequences at all? That doesn't make sense to me that they would abandon macros completely. I was planning on pulling the 550 out to use with the setup in the bedroom but now I’m not so sure.

I have a few URC remotes and I love my macros (Menu Restart, To-Do, changing audio/video settings on the AVR, etc.). I can also use variables and if/else statements. I know the Harmony’s can’t do that.

I'm not sure I like the transport buttons above the touch screen.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...