Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Logitech "Harmony Touch" Universal Remote

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,798 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

I've been disappointed in Harmony for a couple of years now. They seem to have abandoned their mid-level remotes which are the ones that I like.

The 670/620 is by far my favorite remote and you just can't find them anymore. When you have kids and hardwood floors, remotes don't last very long and I don't want to drop a couple of hundred dollars on a remote.

I was able to find a couple of 676's on Ebay 2 weeks agao for $40 apiece and while I don't like them as much as the 670/620, they'll do for now.

I just have no need for a color screen, touch, rechargeable, etc., but that's all they seem to be making lately (that or their bottom tier that only handle 3-5 components).

Oh, and that touch looks like it only has one set of ff and rew, so you'd have to put the others on the touch screen I guess (for rewind and slip/skip).

I agree, thats why I'm still using my good old 688 (plus D* remote combo). Some of the buttons are faded but it still works great. Its mostly used to switch inputs and to control my PS3, Apple TV and AVR.

Owned one, not a fan.

Me either, I sent mine back after a week of use.

Also, I'm not seeing skip buttons on that remote.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

It's been a long time since I've programmed a Harmony (my 550 is currently in a drawer). Do I understand correctly that we can't do sequences at all? That doesn't make sense to me that they would abandon macros completely. Mike

Mike, you can still set up and use sequences on your 550. Any old remotes that had sequences still have sequences.

The new Harmony remotes don't have them. They've dropped macros completely.

I know, I know...it seems like a bonehead move to me, too.

The Harmony One was the last remote I remember with sequences although I could be wrong.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#23 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the PM -- I fixed the link to AVS in post #1.

#24 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

It is a really neat looking new remote with some very nice features.

That said, when I could get my Harmony 650 last year at the Black Friday sale for $39....the kind of price they're looking at for this new unit seems awfully pricey. After all...it's just a remote. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#25 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

Mike, you can still set up and use sequences on your 550. Any old remotes that had sequences still have sequences.

The new Harmony remotes don't have them. They've dropped macros completely.

I know, I know...it seems like a bonehead move to me, too.

The Harmony One was the last remote I remember with sequences although I could be wrong.

So, they took a feature that users complained was inadequate; that users wanted expanded and removed it altogether??!? :scratchin

Seriously though, I wonder if they received a lot of support calls about user customized functions so they decided to have the software control all of it and minimize the user selections. In the case of URC you’re dealing with the pro installer or doing it yourself. You have to be a dealer/installer to have access to URC’s CCP forums so URC doesn’t have the support issues Logitech has. Of course I’m just pondering the possibilities but I can’t think of another scenario that explains why it was removed.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#26 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

It is a really neat looking new remote with some very nice features.

That said, when I could get my Harmony 650 last year at the Black Friday sale for $39....the kind of price they're looking at for this new unit seems awfully pricey. After all...it's just a remote. :D

I kinda like the minimalist look. If it does everything you'd expect out of a universal, I'm of the mind that fewer buttons is a very good idea.

Of course I can't complain about the cost after what I paid for my MX-880. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#27 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Although only 18 devices, you might want to check out the Acoustic Research Xsight Touch.
Review here: http://www.remotecen...ouch/index.html

Thanks. Read the entire review. It appears, however, that it is no longer sold. Amazon only had one "seller" offering a new one (for $50 more than original list), and AR's website, which now lists it for only $149 list, has no "sellers" when you click the "where to buy" button. Seems it might be rather risky, since the review pointed out that you needed to program it on their website, which if taken down, would leave the remote rather unusable. Did sound like a good copy of my Harmony 900 though, but I didnt see any features it had that I dont already have.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#28 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,488 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

Seems that Remote Central is behind the times. I assumed that the AR remote was something new, since this was their newest review. I thought it might be a good remote, since it was made by UEI. Seemed to hold some promise.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#29 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

I went into my local Best Buy and they have the 1100, 900, One, 700 and a 3xx model on the shelves, but no sign of a Harmony Touch. An associate checked in their system and searched several ways, but sees no signs of it in stock or even on the way.

Oh well, I really wanted to get my hands on it to play for 45 days ...

#30 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

Seems that Remote Central is behind the times. I assumed that the AR remote was something new, since this was their newest review. I thought it might be a good remote, since it was made by UEI. Seemed to hold some promise.

I've had Harmony remotes for years, and have a drawer full of old models, so I used to live at Remote Central. I've found they have not had any "news" for a very long time now, and visit only a few times a year. :(

#31 OFFLINE   Fluthy

Fluthy

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

I would like a remote that is bluetooth capable, RF, and IR. Would love to see it have wi-fi capabilities also. This would be able to connect to anything from your PS3 or and HTPC to and old RCA CRT. 1 remote for EVERYTHING!

#32 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,798 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

I'm really surprised theres no skip buttons on there.

#33 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Logitech finally publicly acknowledged the Touch remote:

Blog here: http://blog.logitech...our-fingertips/

Product page here: http://www.logitech....ws_harmonytouch

YoutTube video:

It looks like they are positioning this as an upgrade to and replacement for the Harmony One, touting how easy it is to copy settings from the One to the Touch.

They are also obviously proud of the versatility of the touch screen for numeric keys and channel icons, and even Skype integration, and the on-remote customization of the channel icons is nice, much easier than plugging in a USB cable for "minor" chores like this.

The command keys on the screen are now in a vertical scrolling column, so that's different, but after watching the video, I now know why there's no REPLAY and SKIP keys: you don't need 'em!

You SWIPE LEFT on the touch screen for REPLAY, and SWIPE RIGHT for SKIP! You also simply tap the screen for PLAY and PAUSE.

These actually ARE the functions I use most, and as stated in the video, the touch screen is in a perfect thumb location. And you can even customize, right on the remote, the swipe behavior.

(You can even reorder activities directly on the remote.)

AND ... AND... you can import your SEQUENCES from your Harmony One to continue using them! Not sure if you can create new sequences on the fly, but Harmony One users looking for an upgrade will like this.

This video has completely changed my perception on this remote... I really want one now.

#34 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

I'll still pass.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#35 OFFLINE   KCWolfPck

KCWolfPck

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

I'm really surprised theres no skip buttons on there.

You skip via gesture on the touch screen.

#36 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

Yes, as pointed out 2 posts earlier.

I'd still rather have buttons than a touch screen. Just because you make things "fancier", doesn't make them better.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#37 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

You skip via gesture on the touch screen.

We know that NOW, but we did not know that when the Touch was first leaked on Engadget ...

#38 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

I'd still rather have buttons than a touch screen. Just because you make things "fancier", doesn't make them better.

Very true. This remote will have to be held and used to know if it's as good as or better than, and as easy to use, as the layout of the Harmony One/900 remote.

I've been sitting here with my cell phone in my hand playing with left/right swipes, and honestly, I don't think I can swipe right 6 or 8 times (for SKIP FWD) as fast as I can tap a button 6 or 8 times.

I definitely need to try this out to know for sure.

#39 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,483 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

Agreed. I love gadgets and tech, but will stick with my current Harmony. I like the peanut shape, buttons and button placement.

#40 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

I'll still pass.

Yeah, same here. I just don't like the placment of the transport controls.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...