Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Logitech "Harmony Touch" Universal Remote

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

After bouncing through a few remotes I always find myself going back to my Bears remote.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,717 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Best Buy and Amazon each have the Touch available for pre-order. It comes out 10/10/12.

#43 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,580 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

I like Drew2K will have to play with this thing before deciding. I love my Harmony One and don't think I could get use to the whole touch swipe thing but i'll wait till I can play with it before making a final judgement.

#44 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

I like Drew2K will have to play with this thing before deciding. I love my Harmony One and don't think I could get use to the whole touch swipe thing but i'll wait till I can play with it before making a final judgement.

It would have to have a lot better response than my Harmony 900. It misses touchpad taps, and then will turn around and accept one when I am trying to hit the < or > arrow to change pages. Gets rather annoying sometimes.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#45 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,580 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

I know exactly what you mean. I've hit the turn on Directv touch only to find the blu ray turning on instead. I tried to turn off the touch sounds for the bedroom but I never knew if I pressed hard enough so its back on. :)

#46 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,187 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

According to Amazon's description of this product, it does sequences:

Includes advanced features, like sequences (or macros) to create the shortcuts you desire

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#47 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

I would think the whole swipe to skip thing would wear out your thumb very quickly.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#48 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

I kinda like the minimalist look. If it does everything you'd expect out of a universal, I'm of the mind that fewer buttons is a very good idea.

Of course I can't complain about the cost after what I paid for my MX-880. :grin:

I can see all those points.

While we have a very expensive remote in our Home Theater (icon controls) - in the rest of our home...it's tough to beat a $39 Harmony that controls all the equipment in one location with 1-3 keystrokes for many commands.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#49 OFFLINE   liquidsense

liquidsense

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

Very true. This remote will have to be held and used to know if it's as good as or better than, and as easy to use, as the layout of the Harmony One/900 remote.

I've been sitting here with my cell phone in my hand playing with left/right swipes, and honestly, I don't think I can swipe right 6 or 8 times (for SKIP FWD) as fast as I can tap a button 6 or 8 times.

I definitely need to try this out to know for sure.

I agree. I usually end up using the SKIP FWD button on my One much more frequently than FFWD because it's just easier to stack four to five quick button presses and get around the right place to skip the commercial. Swiping four to five times to the right is going to be a pain. I wonder if you can simply tap the right edge of the touch screen to accomplish a SKIP FWD. But, then I worry that you'll get unwanted skips from time to time.

#50 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,717 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

My local Best Buy had two Harmony Touch remotes locked up behind the counter, so I bought one at 10 AM ET this morning to try it out.

I’ve owned many Harmony remotes (300, 360, 520, 550, 676, 700, 880, One, 900) so I’ve had a lot of time to examine the changes in both the hardware and software, and was really looking forward to the Touch, but I can honestly say I see a lot of missed opportunities with this new remote.

The Good
  • One login at myharmony.com for multiple remotes
  • Sequences can include up to 10 commands and delays
  • Charger - holds remote in upright/vertical position; easy to grab and use

The Bad
  • No client software; requires installation of Silverlight through browser
  • Battery removal requires disassembly of remote
  • No motion sensor; have to tap screen or touch a key to turn on backlight and screen
  • Top edge of remote is not rounded, so digs into heel of your palm
  • Color keys far too low to be useful; have to really hold remote in awkward position to be able to use thumb on these keys
  • Hitting PAUSE with left thumb often activates the FAV icon, switching screen to favorites
  • Hitting PAUSE with right thumb often activates the Home screen, so you leave whatever screen you were on
  • Access to activities takes more effort than the One and 900: 3 activities per screen before, now one activity per screen; takes 15 swipes to get to my last activity, versus 5 on previous remotes
  • The setup of the Touch copied settings from my Harmony 900, but misnamed most of my DIRECTV devices, and I can’t rename them
  • Screen only shows 5 commands at a time, one per row, so waste of space. It could be showing 10 commands at a time!
  • Swipe actions are only active when the user activates “Gesture” mode. So you have to switch modes to see numbers, see commands, see favorites, or use gestures

The 10-step Sequences are really the best part of the remote, so I’m going to create several sequences and learn them as raw commands to my 900, and then return the Touch.

It’s not comfortable to hold long term, it’s a pain to have to switch into and out of gesture mode, and the accidental touch of the Home and Favorite soft keys makes use of Pause a major nuisance.

I like where Logitech was going with the touch screen and gestures, but this needs a major overhaul, especially for someone who maxes out 15 devices and has as many Activities. I’m sticking with my 900 …

Edited by Drew2k, 07 October 2012 - 06:16 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...