Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Which dish

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mrsamman

Mrsamman

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

I have an Hd DVR receiver and need to know what dish and equipment I need to get it working at my cabin.
Thanks
Scott

Ps I've had driectv for 15 yrs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

call CSR and check

Edited by P Smith, 30 September 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

Slimline dish with either 3 or 5 LNB assembly. Match what you have at home.

http://hr20.dbstalk....d Cable FAQ.pdf

#4 OFFLINE   Mrsamman

Mrsamman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for the replies.
At home I have four receivers and I have a really big dish, so I didn't know if I needed one that big for just one receiver. I'll check and see what model I have at home.
Thanks
Scott

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the replies.
At home I have four receivers and I have a really big dish, so I didn't know if I needed one that big for just one receiver. I'll check and see what model I have at home.
Thanks
Scott

Picture of it and what your receivers had in setup about the dish and switch would help to understand what you have.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Thanks
Scott

The size of the dish is not related to the number of receivers, but rather to the number of satellites it is capable of seeing. For HD you need the Slimline dish, which is what you would have at home. If you can live with SD channels only, then you could use a 19" round dish at your cabin.

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

I wonder if he has the old AT9 sidecar dish?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,557 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

I wonder if he has the old AT9 sidecar dish?

The AT9 is only ~3% larger than the Slimline. The AT9 is 3" taller but 3" narrower.

Either way, there are only a couple of dishes used for CONUS DBS that are bigger.

The only way to get a smaller dish is to modify a smaller dish and install it yourself.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   Mrsamman

Mrsamman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

I have a slimline dish without SWM. My receiver is a HR24, I was thinking of ordering a slimline with SWM.
Thanks
Scott

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

If you plan to move this receiver back and forth between the two locations, you want to be the same at both places. It is sometimes difficult to get a receiver to switch from SWM to "multiswitch" mode.

Also, just to be on the safe side here, I should point out that your terms of service do not permit having receivers/service simultaneously at two locations under a single account. The general feeling is if nobody is using DirecTV at home while you are using it at the cabin, you are at least meeting the spirit of the rule. You would be in violation of your terms of service if it was being used at both locations at the same time.

#11 OFFLINE   Mrsamman

Mrsamman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

This receiver will be used on the weekends when we are not at home. So I need a slimline without SWM. That means I have to run multiple line of RG6 to a switch and then to the receiver.
Thanks
Scott

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,557 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

That means I have to run multiple line of RG6 to a switch and then to the receiver.

A switch is not needed. You can drive up to four tuners from a non-SWIM dish with a cable for each tuner.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall