Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR24-500 skipping audio/video. If I get a replacement, is there a 2-year commitment?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

I've noticed that many recordings on one of my DVR's has skipping issues. It happens whether I watch over Whole House or at that particular TV.

If I call to get it repaired/replaced, does the new DVR trigger a new commitment? I've been out of contract for about 3 months now, and I'm trying to save my bargaining chips until I'm ready to pull the trigger on an HR-34.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

Replacing a defective receiver doesn't trigger a new commitment.
Adding another leased receiver does.
A.K.A VOS

#3 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

Well, that is the policy, but we've all read right here of the many times it has in fact added to the commitment usually due to incompetent CSRs.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#4 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

There have been issues with improperly added commitments, but I haven't heard about any recently. OP, make sure that they mark the replacement dvr as a defective exchange.

#5 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

I've noticed that many recordings on one of my DVR's has skipping issues. It happens whether I watch over Whole House or at that particular TV.

If I call to get it repaired/replaced, does the new DVR trigger a new commitment? I've been out of contract for about 3 months now, and I'm trying to save my bargaining chips until I'm ready to pull the trigger on an HR-34.

If the CSR processes it correctly, as a warranty then you'll not have the 24 month commitment. In a few, very rare case, the CSR could process it as a replacement upgrade that would lock you in.

"How will I know if it got processed correctly?"

I'm glad you asked that question.

If you get transferred to another department, called Third Party Verification, after placing the order, then it's an upgrade and NOT what you want. The entire warranty replacement process will be taken care of, in its entirety, by tech support without transferring to anyone else at any point.

#6 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Great answers. Thank you everyone.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce

Cool Member

• Banned User
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

Yea........even if an agent incorrectly activates the receiver under upgrade when its actually just a replacement, if you were to cancel the account and they said you had a commitment then you could let them know about the swap and they would look into it, if it was incorrectly placed onto the account they would let you out.
I'm that person you talk to on the phone when you call DirecTV
I Do Billing For DirecTV ;)
My posts reflect my OWN opinions, not those of DirecTV

#8 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

Yea........even if an agent incorrectly activates the receiver under upgrade when its actually just a replacement, if you were to cancel the account and they said you had a commitment then you could let them know about the swap and they would look into it, if it was incorrectly placed onto the account they would let you out.

Maybe. I work at DirecTV and I know better than to ever take that chance.

#9 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

Maybe. I work at DirecTV and I know better than to ever take that chance.

Wrong..happens every day
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#10 OFFLINE   deardeva

deardeva

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

you also must activate the receiver on your acct as soon as possible after getting it, delaying by say 30 days will remove the pending receiver from your acct, that is what makes it pop up with a committment, just make sure and ask the person activating it, to notate in the acct, that this is a replacement receiver for the failed rid number and have them list the date of the order for the replacement in the notes...this helps chasing down information later, and you can always dispute agreement end dates, they have special people that verify the validity of agreements

#11 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

OP here. I'm upgrading to an HR34 in a couple of weeks (install scheduled for 11/17). I've heard of installers doing on-the-spot replacements for older and/or malfunctioning receivers. Do you think I could talk the tech into replacing this unit while he's here? I don't want to deal with customer service because I'm afraid I might not get an HR24 as a replacement unit.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

OP here. I'm upgrading to an HR34 in a couple of weeks (install scheduled for 11/17). I've heard of installers doing on-the-spot replacements for older and/or malfunctioning receivers. Do you think I could talk the tech into replacing this unit while he's here? I don't want to deal with customer service because I'm afraid I might not get an HR24 as a replacement unit.

You could try, but you could run into the problem 'not on my work order, can't do it.' Also, will they have an extra 24 on their truck? We've read here many times if a 24 fails and it is being replaced, you'll get another 24. And when my 24 died last spring, I was told by the CSR I would get another 24, and I did.

#13 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

You could try, but you could run into the problem 'not on my work order, can't do it.' Also, will they have an extra 24 on their truck? We've read here many times if a 24 fails and it is being replaced, you'll get another 24. And when my 24 died last spring, I was told by the CSR I would get another 24, and I did.

Thanks for the reply. If the tech does not have one, it's no big deal. I'll just call it in and have a replacement shipped to me. I'm in no rush since the DVR is 99 percent functional. It just hiccups every once in a while. I just thought that I might have better luck getting an installer to handle it rather than a telephone CSR.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom

#14 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

I'm not sure what the skipping issue indicates. I had one that paused all the time. After a couple weeks, the hard drive failed.

So I suggest you watch everything that is on that DVR in the event it does stop working completely.

Oh, and maybe write down all your Series Links so when you get a new unit, you can reprogram it.

Edited by trh, 04 November 2012 - 10:01 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...