Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3TB and 4TB Drives. The Danger!

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,004 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

Nobody has EVER accused me of being "normal". :lol:

I'm not against your idea.

I'm just trying to look at this:

What's the highest failure component?
Isn't this the drive?

Cloning a drive or going to RAID would seem to be what would help this.

With larger drive supported, RAID would seem to be the option to use.

RAID is definitely the way to go to combat drive loss, and that's why I went RAID 5. However that's all null and void if the 34 itself fails. I realize that when a DVR fails the majority of the time it's because the hard drive failed but it would be nice if recordings were tied to accounts and not devices should the device fail for a reason other than drive failure.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

I don't know about the cloud aspect, I just think that would be problematic. All we really need is the ability to plug an external drive into any DVR on the same account, and everything starts where it left off, all recordings accessible. And with no fee.

Seems much less complex.

#23 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,004 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

We need a DirecTV Cloud.

No, we really don't need to go to the "cloud" fad.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#24 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,004 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

I don't think they need to store the same show over and over again for all their customer. I'm pretty sure just one will do.

That's where you're wrong. At a minimum they'd have to have 1 copy of every show from every demographic. Can't cut out the local guys!

Then they'd need 1 copy of every movie from every movie channel. Can't just have 1 copy of "Cowboys & Aliens" from HBO, you'd have to have it from Cinemax, Showtime, etc.

You just can't do what Apple is doing with Match for TV shows and movies.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

while you guys joyful dragging the thread off-topic, it would be reasonable to ask the sat providers (dtv, dish, etc) for a few kilobytes of account's storage to series, times, etc what many is redo manually after each quirk with a box

#26 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

while you guys joyful dragging the thread off-topic, it would be reasonable to ask the sat providers (dtv, dish, etc) for a few kilobytes of account's storage to series, times, etc what many is redo manually after each quirk with a box

Now that cloud storage I'd be happy with.

#27 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Now that cloud storage I'd be happy with.

I really see no reason why, if we can sendreport to DirecTv, we couldnt also SendSettings.... Just stupid they havent implemented such a simple addition that even AOL had 10 years ago.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#28 OFFLINE   gimp

gimp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

I agree completely. As a long time D* DVR user with large external drives (currently 2TB) I can't count the number of times I've lost nearly full drive contents due to either bad DVR replacements or upgrades (the most recent being the HR34 upgrade). I don't know what's worse, loss of content or effort to recreate Series Recording list. Now that I've got 99 series recordings, the next DVR replacement will most certainly be a chore. Last upgrade I got a little smarter though and took pictures of the old list before kissing goodbye!

So, now it's common knowledge that the 34s can use 3TB & 4TB drives. My question is, what happens if the 34 fails and you have close to 3TBs of content stored on it? At the moment, you lose it!

Once again I ask for some support in our seemingly never ending quest to have D* authorize any HR within an account to read the HDDs recorded by any HR within that account.

Seems like a logical step forward, doesn't it? Seemed like it years ago when I started my first thread on this subject, too. Logic doesn't seem to have much of an impact on D*.

Now, things have changed. The 34s are on the scene and others of that ilk will follow. Some of the members are already running 3TB externals. Personally, I wouldn't do it because of the "marriage" of HR to its HDD. Bad enough to lose 2TBs of content. Can't imagine the frustration of losing much more content than that.

What can we do except raise our voices to D* and get this changed? If this thread gets enough support, perhaps D* will finally do the right thing. This is more important (I think) than DLBs or even the HD GUI.

I was offered a 34 without charge a couple weeks ago. The CSR could not believe that I wouldn't take it. When I explained to him what happens when an HR, any HR, goes bad, he understood my reasoning.

What do YOU think? Please give this some thought, it can't be that difficult to do. And it should be done with every HR, not just the 34s, I think.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,926 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

I hate to bring up the "t-word" but TiVo allowed you to move a recording from one DVR to another. I used that several times when one DVR's drive starting getting funky. It allowed me to save a few key recordings, and then replace the drive.

I fully support the idea of locking a DVR's recordings to the account, not the individual receiver. And it doesn't matter how small a percentage of users make use of the feature. I can't imagine it is any more complicated than changing the source for the unique encryption key from the receiver's ID number to the account number. If it takes a programmer more than half a day to make the code change they need better programmers.

By the way, if we could replace DVRs and keep our recordings, people might be more likely to upgrade to newer equipment, getting DirecTV more customers under commitment.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#30 OFFLINE   docderwood

docderwood

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

FWIW.....

They can create Nomad, linked to our account.

It seems logical to me that they could create a way to allow us to not lose everything when our DVR dies.

I understand the RAID external concept, but this is added expense and still doesn't fully protect you from the hassle of a DVR failure.

#31 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,849 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

Every time this has come up, I've been told there weren't enough people using the eSATA function for this change to be authorized by D*. I dealt with it my way and have ensured that, barring a catastrophe, I won't lose any recordings. Now with the 34s and whatever follows, surely more folks will want to put much larger HDDs on them. I think the time has come for a change. I know Dish has this feature, it can't be that hard to do.

How can we force their hand? Don't accept a 34 until this change is authorized for all HRs. I won't accept one. Not that I don't want one, but I'm kinda tired of having 12 HRs just so I can back up everything I value several times.

Rich

Do you record mostly series, or lots of movies as well, or more of a mix?

#32 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,849 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

That's what I'm afraid of, limiting the ability to just the 34s and whatever comes next. I'm not sure I'd support doing this and including the 20s, which are old and, at least in my case, failing and I think I'd also exclude the 21 series, thereby limiting it to the 24s and whatever follows the 34s. That should make it even easier for D* to do. Or would it? I don't know. Just a thought.

Rich

I would actually think that if there where to be any line drawn in the sand, it would be the hr34 and newer, simply because they appear to be the only receivers so far that can deal with larger hard drives. If that not a concern, then I would like to dream that it would work with any unit.

#33 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,849 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

No, we really don't need to go to the "cloud" fad.

I agree.. But then again, we kind of had cloud storage already for some stations. On demand, for example with HBO, has everything. If all the channels went the same route as HBO then we would have cloud storage in a way that I think most people would be ok with. Its just that on demand now, except for HBO, is extremely lacking... :(

#34 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,004 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

I agree.. But then again, we kind of had cloud storage already for some stations. On demand, for example with HBO, has everything. If all the channels went the same route as HBO then we would have cloud storage in a way that I think most people would be ok with. Its just that on demand now, except for HBO, is extremely lacking... :(

Cinemax also has all their series and a ton of movies as well, like MaxGo.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#35 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,029 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:34 AM

FWIW.....

They can create Nomad, linked to our account.

It seems logical to me that they could create a way to allow us to not lose everything when our DVR dies.

I understand the RAID external concept, but this is added expense and still doesn't fully protect you from the hassle of a DVR failure.

Yup...that is indeed true.

In fact nomad would be one of several ways to support archiving. It comes down to locking down copy protection within the framework of a storage device - the logical path would be to assign storage based upon an account number, not a specific HD DVR RID as it's done today. There are no technical barriers to doing it.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#36 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:22 AM

RAID's no good if you can't transfer it to another DVR. I don't use any external HD for the same reason.

If the HD was transferrable I would use it and I think many other people would as well. My greatest fear is having a lot, or almost any, stuff to watch and having the unit fail with no chance of recovery.

What would be cool to me is a DVR with a transferrable, external HD and no internal HD. Then RAID (or backup) would become interesting.

#37 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

HDD failures are probably by far the most common failures. If you are using an external HDD, then if you suspect that the drive is beginning to fail, you just copy it to a new drive, and voila, back in business. To me, that is currently one of the best reasons to be using an external HDD, along with all the extra space you have.

#38 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

True, but having had a fan failure in an HR34, I still want more support before taking that plunge.

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

And someone with 12 DVRs just to not miss anything, is perfectly "normal"? [I kid]

I don't know what is in the works. There was "some buzz" about this subject but nothing that suggested what or when.

The move to supporting drives larger than 2TB is something wanted for a long time.

Supporting larger drives is fine with me, all I want is the ability to play those drives on any HR within my account. Seems so simple, why the delay? It's been well over 5 years since we started asking for this.

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

No, that would be bad limitation.Please do not push the idea.

Make it simple: moving an EHD in one account should include all compatible DVRs.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Just throwing some ideas out there.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...