Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3TB and 4TB Drives. The Danger!

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

Having 5 tuners isn't going to change the reliability and for me, is a big plus over having them spread across twin HR24s.

Don't you suppose that thrashing the hard drive with "up to" five streams isn't considerably more stressful (mechanically) than two? I'm thinking in terms of exponential increases.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

Don't you suppose that thrashing the hard drive with "up to" five streams isn't considerably more stressful (mechanically) than two? I'm thinking in terms of exponential increases.

Technically that would be 6 in and 3 out, but I kind of doubt the increase is going to cause any significant change. Just the act of writing/reading may be the failure mode.
A.K.A VOS

#43 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

They can create Nomad, linked to our account.

Would you sit still for a DVR that was as reliable as a nomad setup?

There is very clear precedent for a system that works so I suspect that it is a business decision that they haven't made the feature widely available already. One wonders if Echostar has a patent on the feature.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#44 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

Technically that would be 6 in and 3 out, but I kind of doubt the increase is going to cause any significant change. Just the act of writing/reading may be the failure mode.

I hadn't contemplated with idea of doing trick play with clients while all the recordings were in progress. With a few streams, it shouldn't be doing a lot of seeking, but with "up to" nine, I would imagine some of the noisier drives are protesting audibly.

Buffering works well for recording linear content but it doesn't work all that well for non-linear playback.

#45 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

Supporting larger drives is fine with me, all I want is the ability to play those drives on any HR within my account. Seems so simple, why the delay? It's been well over 5 years since we started asking for this.

Rich

OK, I'll tell you my speculation as to why it won't happen or What DirecTV won't tell you :lol:

1. Dishes implementation is simpler as they only store video on the external drive.
2. All the external drives in use now are encrypted and tied to the individual DVR.
3. That tying to a specific DVR means that to go to a whole house key so that any External will work on any DVR in the house would mean wiping any External drive now in use. Can you imagine the backlash if everybody had their external drives wiped or the content rendered useless?

I can think of one scenario that would work and the programming might be tricky. Have the DVR detect that the video is tied to a specific unit for playback on old titles and any new titles stored on the drive use a whole house key. Plus that would lead to complaints that some of my videos don't play and others do.

Or slow down the HR series converting the encryption, if possible, to a whole house key.

That's off the top of my head.

Good Luck with your endeavor Rich
Roger

Edited by TBoneit, 01 October 2012 - 12:39 PM.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#46 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

... wonders if Echostar has a patent on the feature.

No they don't.

#47 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

HDD failures are probably by far the most common failures. If you are using an external HDD, then if you suspect that the drive is beginning to fail, you just copy it to a new drive, and voila, back in business. To me, that is currently one of the best reasons to be using an external HDD, along with all the extra space you have.

How do you copy it? Can it be mounted as a drive on your computer and if so will your computer recognize it? I don't know how these things are formatted but I know they are encrypted in some way.

This still leaves the problem of a DVR failure. Unless the HD can be made recognizable by another DVR anything on the HD is gone.

My favorite solution would still be a RAID system and receivers you can plug into. Actually, if you cold plug into any receiver on your account you could have a form of whole home, sort of like carrying a flash drive from one computer to another.

#48 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

How do you copy it? Can it be mounted as a drive on your computer and if so will your computer recognize it? I don't know how these things are formatted but I know they are encrypted in some way.

http://www.dbstalk.c...174&postcount=1

Pretty simple actually.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#49 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

Easy for you to say. It looks like you need to be running Linux. I'm not. I am running OS X. Any instruction pages for that?

#50 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

while you guys joyful dragging the thread off-topic, it would be reasonable to ask the sat providers (dtv, dish, etc) for a few kilobytes of account's storage to series, times, etc what many is redo manually after each quirk with a box

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

As someone who just lost an HR24-500 because of a bad hard drive, this is the biggest PITA of the process. While I didn't like losing my recordings, especially for old series that don't come on any longer, having to go back in and rebuild my series list and favorite lists was a major chore.

On the plus side, at least the caller ID in my HR24-100 works better than the HR24-500

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#51 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

Easy for you to say. It looks like you need to be running Linux. I'm not. I am running OS X. Any instruction pages for that?

Yes, you download the Mac OS X version and make a bootable GParted Live CD version 0.3.7-7. Don't use the current release - if you look in that thread you'll see people have problems using anything newer than about 0.4.x.x - can't remember exactly how new it still works.

I haven't tried this myself but I read the thread getting ready.

#52 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

You don't need to be running Linux. You just need the gparted live disk and a machine you can put the drives into.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#53 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

As I read the information about GParted I wonder if the same thing could be accomplished on an OS X machine using Disk Utility and various Unix tools. Does anybody know?

What does xfrestore do and might there be a similar Unix program? I recall there was a dump, and I believe, restore in older Unix releases but neither appear to exist in the 10.8.2 release of OS X. Could cpio or dd be used?

This may be relatively straight-forward, but I know nothing about Linux and how it relates to Unix and OS X.

#54 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

As I read the information about GParted I wonder if the same thing could be accomplished on an OS X machine using Disk Utility and various Unix tools. Does anybody know?

What does xfrestore do and might there be a similar Unix program? I recall there was a dump, and I believe, restore in older Unix releases but neither appear to exist in the 10.8.2 release of OS X. Could cpio or dd be used?

This may be relatively straight-forward, but I know nothing about Linux and how it relates to Unix and OS X.

YOU should really have a respect to the thread's starter and do not continue drag offtopic.
You got right thread's URL to discuss the matter, so please continue there.
:backtotop:

#55 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

OK, I'll tell you my speculation as to why it won't happen or What DirecTV won't tell you :lol:
3. That tying to a specific DVR means that to go to a whole house key so that any External will work on any DVR in the house would mean wiping any External drive now in use. Can you imagine the backlash if everybody had their external drives wiped or the content rendered useless?

Nah, in the same programming update that starts it encoding with an account code instead of a unit code, you have the playback check to see if it was recorded with EITHER code. Couldn't take but one or two lines of code. What is lacking is the willingness to do it.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#56 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

Nothing can be done using OSX because OSX does not have any XFS tools. You need to use the xfsdump/xfsrestore method.

FYI, OSX is BSD which is a variant of Linux.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#57 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

This is a feature I would like to see...

My experience since my first HR...

1 upgraded 2TB drive died... (replaced and lost all content)

1 CE Download erased all content on 1 DVR (2TB FULL drive)

1 HR20-700 died (Internal drive)(DVR lost tuner 2) replaced with HR21 :(

1 750GB drive died in my HR34 (I put 4 OLD 750's in my RAID5 enclosure)... replaced the drive and kept on going as if nothing was wrong...

so, If I could get another RAID enclosure, i might just load it up with 4 3TB or 4TB drives. and IF I could move the existing to another DVR that would be great... but there is another issue to code for...

move a drive from HR34 to HR2x what would happen with SL 51+? not to mention the Genie "space"

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#58 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

RAID is definitely the way to go to combat drive loss, and that's why I went RAID 5.

The best way to reduce wear and tear on a drive is to have it turned off. That's why being able to copy content to a drive for archiving is cool.

#59 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

move a drive from HR34 to HR2x what would happen with SL 51+? not to mention the Genie "space"

The Genie space would stay with the hard drive and be used for PPV stuff like the HR2X's do now with DirecTV's partition. I don't think they'd be able to allow moving a drive from an HR34 to say an HR24 due to compatibility issues. One being the amount of SL's and the other being the 2TB limitation on the HR2X's that the HR34's no longer have.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#60 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

The best way to reduce wear and tear on a drive is to have it turned off. That's why being able to copy content to a drive for archiving is cool.

Huh? What does that have to do with what you quoted me saying??
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall