Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Premium Channel Movie Release Dates?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dismayed

dismayed

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

So there are tons of websites and apps out there to find out where a movie is showing, when it will hit Blu-Ray or PPV... but something I can't seem to find, and I am hoping one of you will have a suggestion on, is where I can find a list of when major blockbusters are going to cable, when they are airing, and what network they will premiere on (e.g. HBO, Starz, Cinemax, etc.).

The reason I ask is because I hardly ever use Netflix anymore, now that I subscribe to darn near everything DirecTV has. I'm looking for a way to dump my 'queue' and to keep up with things through DTV only.

I know there's a feature in the DTV menu where you can keyword a movie, but the annoying thing about that is that if the movie is available on PPV, it seems to always add that to the list and there seems to be no way to override it to go for premium cable instead.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

Not all new movies come to Directv first due to not having EPIX. As a result some films don't come tell commercials have been inserted.

#3 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

I never even heard of Epix, but I just googled it and went to their website and saw a fairly decent mix of first-run movies, at least better than what's found on Showtime IMO.

HBO and Starz use to have all of the big box office first-run movies, I guess they still do, but I really don't follow movies as much as I use to.

However, I remember the days of me contemplating buying a DVD or waiting for it to hit HBO and from what I remember, most studios are different in how they release their movies in terms of timing, with some delaying it up to a year after it hits DVD, I think, while others will sell it quickly to these stations. But yeah, there's really nothing out there that discusses this and so many movies (that are "great" but not necessarily big box office hits) that never even make it anywhere beyond DVD.

#4 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

Epix is better than any of the premium channels like HBO etc ,etc

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,791 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

Not all new movies come to Directv first due to not having EPIX. As a result some films don't come tell commercials have been inserted.

I never even heard of Epix, but I just googled it and went to their website and saw a fairly decent mix of first-run movies, at least better than what's found on Showtime IMO.

HBO and Starz use to have all of the big box office first-run movies, I guess they still do, but I really don't follow movies as much as I use to.

However, I remember the days of me contemplating buying a DVD or waiting for it to hit HBO and from what I remember, most studios are different in how they release their movies in terms of timing, with some delaying it up to a year after it hits DVD, I think, while others will sell it quickly to these stations. But yeah, there's really nothing out there that discusses this and so many movies (that are "great" but not necessarily big box office hits) that never even make it anywhere beyond DVD.

Epix is available on Roku and also on Amazon Prime recently signed a deal for the rights to stream their titles.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,875 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:45 AM

Keep your eye on the calendar. (http://www.dbstalk.c...alendar.php?c=3)
Hopefully more movie premiers get posted. If you see one coming up, post it at (http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=191409)

#7 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

If all I wanted was the big Hollywood blockbusters, I wouldn't count on the premium channels. I'd use Redbox or Netflix. Where the premiums excel, IMHO, are the lesser-known independent and foreign films that I probably wouldn't even know about, if I did not see them in the guide and then look them up on the web.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#8 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

Epix is available on Roku and also on Amazon Prime recently signed a deal for the rights to stream their titles.

Epix is available on Roku if you have a subscription through you Sat or Cable provider.

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,791 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

Epix is available on Roku if you have a subscription through you Sat or Cable provider.

Sign up for the free 14 day trial. I did it during a free weekend for Dish (I have DirecTV) and it stuck.

I just signed for a free trial with another email, picked DirecTV and it worked.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Epix is better than any of the premium channels like HBO etc ,etc

Epix is basically Paramount studios, a bit of Lion's Gate, etc....movies.

Showtime and HBO are about original series. In fact, Showtime has very few studio deals left, they aren't intended to be a movie service first and foremost, though they do carry some library studio content. HBO still has some major studio deals, but their business is driven mostly by their unique series like Game of Thrones, Boardwalk, etc, etc.

Starz even has some original series...Boss is outstanding, one of the best on television, but they are primarily a movie distributor.

To each their own, but they are definitely not the same in content, breadth of programming etc,. As an example, HBO has 10 channels on D* plus all the past seasons original episodes on VOD. If Epix were to appear on D*, it would at max be 4 channels (that's all they have) and basically we're talking movies and some niche boxing (super heavy weight for example).

All different, all serving different types of constituencies.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

To each their own, but they are definitely not the same in content, breadth of programming etc,. As an example, HBO has 10 channels on D* plus all the past seasons original episodes on VOD. If Epix were to appear on D*, it would at max be 4 channels (that's all they have) and basically we're talking movies and some niche boxing (super heavy weight for example).

All different, all serving different types of constituencies.

Would be nice to have though still.

#12 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

EPIX didn't help its chances of reaching new distribution deals with service providers when they announced their Netflix and Amazon Instant deals.
DTV = Digital Television

#13 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

Subscription for the on-line edition is only $20 per year. Good TV guide and a great A to Z movie listing for all channels, except locals of coarse.

#14 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

Starz even has some original series...Boss is outstanding, one of the best on television, but they are primarily a movie distributor.

Don't forget, Satelliteracer, that Starz has the contract with Disney for first run on all their movies.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#15 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

I've seemed to subscribed to Starz and Showtime, for most of the year. Why? Cheaper and sometimes free. I'd like to subscribe more on HBO/Cinemax, but find their price prohibitive. They may be the best out of the three, but not to the extent of the difference in price.

spam firewall