Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mixing Ram

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

Are there any problems from mixing different speed RAM? I currently have Corsair CMG6GX3M3A1600C7 Dominator GT 6 GB 3 x 2 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 Core i7 and Core i5 Memory Kit installed in my motherboard. Thinking about adding G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ to it for a total of 12GBs. Would there be any problems doing this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,515 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

Looks like they have different CAS latency, maybe slightly different voltage. It's not something I'd recommend, could at least lead to instability.

I'm assuming you're running a 64 bit OS?

Of course depending on what you're doing, there is a reduction in benefit of more RAM. I can't believe I'm actually saying that, there was a time I'd think that was crazy :)

#3 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

Looks like they have different CAS latency, maybe slightly different voltage. It's not something I'd recommend, could at least lead to instability.

I'm assuming you're running a 64 bit OS?

Of course depending on what you're doing, there is a reduction in benefit of more RAM. I can't believe I'm actually saying that, there was a time I'd think that was crazy :)

64 bit Windows 7. 12 Gbs of RAM might actually be worse than 6 GBs of RAM (In this case)?!

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,515 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

Not worse, just a smaller gain than say going from 3 to 6. All depends on the programs used, etc.

Adding more than 3-3.5gb in a 32 bit OS, definitely issues.

#5 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

Sometimes when I'm playing Skyrim, I get close to hitting my 6GB ceiling though. Thinking an extra 6GBs would help with that?

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

Mixing speeds on RAM is never advisable however if you have to do it make sure you match your sets. Refer to your motherboard docs to see what DIMM slots go with each other. Some motherboards it will be slot 0,1 and 2 that go together and others it will be 0, 2, 4.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,515 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

Sometimes when I'm playing Skyrim, I get close to hitting my 6GB ceiling though. Thinking an extra 6GBs would help with that?

I believe Skyrim can address up to 4gb of ram. This was added in a patch last year. Since its not a 64 bit app, it can't go higher.

#8 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

I believe Skyrim can address up to 4gb of ram. This was added in a patch last year.

Yeah, but if something else is eating up my other 2GBs (Which is very likely), that could be what's leading to the slowdown?

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,515 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

True, though usually I make sure pretty much everything else is shut down so other things using memory are at the minimum.

I'm not saying don't do it, but set realistic expectations.

spam firewall