Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New unannounced Slingboxes

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

And most of the reviews I've read about the new interface and related features have been bad. I have the Slingbox PRO HD and love it. I can't see any reason why, putting price aside, I'd ever go with any of these newer models.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   djwww98

djwww98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

Hooked up to a DirecTV DVR (HR24) will the slingbox allow remotely watching something that has been recorded, or does it just stream real time stuff? Hooking it up to my non-DVR reciever would be easier because of the location, but if DVR functions work, I'll do what I have to do to install it with the DVR instead.

#23 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

You can do everything with your Slingbox that you can do with your DVR, so the answer is yes. You just use the DirecTV remote feature on the Slingbox and away you go. It's very easy, too.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#24 OFFLINE   ka7gzr

ka7gzr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

Has anyone figured out how to set up AV1 on the new models yet? I can control the primary input but don't see a selection for AV1. I have a 500, ProHD, Pro and the orignal slingbox with 2 HR24s and a HR-21 Pro.
Jim

#25 ONLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Got a pretty good upload speed (3.5) and Verizon LTE so I'm going to try a 350 to replace the Solo and stream better quality video to the phone. It'd be nice to at least be able to make out the score on a ball game.
Shows up from Amazon Monday.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#26 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

If you can find the Slingbox Pro HD around somewhere, I'd recommend that highly. I have it, and it's simply awesome.

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,974 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

Fry's start selling both new models too.

#28 ONLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

If you can find the Slingbox Pro HD around somewhere, I'd recommend that highly. I have it, and it's simply awesome.

Wasn't discounted yet (or much) on Amazon when I placed my order. Still priced at $260, only 3 left.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#29 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

They're better than the 350 and 500, IMHO, and based on the reviews of the 350 and 500, I'm not the only one who thinks that.

The limits of HDMI due to HDCP on the 350 and 500 are enough to make me stay away from these 2 new models. Personally, I think Sling dropped the ball on these 2 new models.

#30 OFFLINE   ka7gzr

ka7gzr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

They're better than the 350 and 500, IMHO, and based on the reviews of the 350 and 500, I'm not the only one who thinks that.

The limits of HDMI due to HDCP on the 350 and 500 are enough to make me stay away from these 2 new models. Personally, I think Sling dropped the ball on these 2 new models.

I don't agree> I own and use the 500, Pro HD and the PRO. These are lashed up to two HR24s and a HR21 Pro. The Slingbox 500 is noticeably better than the Pro HD in every respect- local and remote. I travel a lot using both iPhones and the iPad for remote connections. The “WoW factor of 500 over the previous Slingboxes is not just an incremental change but a Sea-State change.
I am using component video and separate audio for all of them- HDMI video/audio is interesting but not technically superior to separate component video and audio.
Jim_Z

#31 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

You are definitely one of the rare ones. The reviews I've been reading are not good at all. The complaints run the gamut from horrible software to the HDMI HDCP issue.

My Slingbox Pro HD delivers a stunning picture, and it's very easy to use, so I see no need for me to waste ~ $300 just to get a sleeker-looking box.

#32 OFFLINE   ka7gzr

ka7gzr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

I bow to your online reviews vs. my personal ownership and experience with the 500 and Pro HD. In fact, I don't even agree with your online review summation. I'm sure you have exceptions, but the majority of on-line reviews I have read are very positive for the 500/350.
$300 is a lot for the upgrade but my only point is that it is “better”. The judgment of better is only a matter of affordability- not technically. As I access both of them locally or remotely there is a very noticeable improvement with the video from the 500 vs. my (door-stop) Pro-Hd

Protected By... spam firewall...And...