Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Diagnostics Code 14-919

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   amh84

amh84

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNogales, Arizona

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

Right as the Giants were kicking their last field goal this evening my HR34 froze. At first we thought it was the local feed but then the box became unresponsive. After a RBR I was presented with the following (attached) diagnostics code. After following the on screen instructions, the D* representative told me that it's a hard drive failure. I should be receiving a new box Wednesday. :(
[ATTACH]30134[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• ForumRunner_20120930_210120.png

Edited by amh84, 01 October 2012 - 05:05 PM.
Rotated picture

HR34-700, HR22-100, C31 x3

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

That just completely sucks....
Did you have your 34 for long? Did you lose a lot of recorded programming?

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

Be a courteous poster, do a favor to us: rotate your picture to normal reading ...

BTW. You could continue use it, just add external eSATA drive.

#4 OFFLINE   amh84

amh84

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

The picture rotated when I uploaded it from my mobile. I'll try to fix it when I login from a pc.

I'll be losing about 25 movies and a number of series. I think we've had it since June.

Hopefully this is a rare occurrence.

Edited by amh84, 01 October 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:15 AM

If you will read here ... not that rare as we want :(

#6 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

Huh??
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#7 OFFLINE   RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce

Cool Member

• Banned User
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

Did you do anything to the receiver? or were you just watching the game when it happend? Ive been wanting to get an hr34 but i dont know if i could live if that happend haha, all the programs i want to watch ive got recorded >_<
I'm that person you talk to on the phone when you call DirecTV
I Do Billing For DirecTV ;)
My posts reflect my OWN opinions, not those of DirecTV

#8 OFFLINE   amh84

amh84

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

We were only watching the game for a few minutes when it happened.

#9 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

Hard drives fail, that's why these are not archival devices. Just record new movies. It can be a pain, but not earth shattering.
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#10 OFFLINE   Cyrus

Cyrus

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

The screen says reboot may fix it. I assume you tried to reboot several times before giving up.
HR20-700, native on, HDMI - Sony KLVS23A10
HR20-700, native on, component - Sony KF50WE610

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

The screen says reboot may fix it. I assume you tried to reboot several times before giving up.

Reboots never fix 14- errors. It's dead Jim...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   amh84

amh84

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

Multiple times.

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

This a way to total grinding your drive's surfaces.

I never understand when someone try to fix without appropriate knowledge, experience and tool. It's a way to disaster.

#14 OFFLINE   EJKrew

EJKrew

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Had the identical error message on 10-07 as I sat down to enjoy Sunday Ticket.
I surmised that the HDD was fried. After 3 reboots the HR-21 worked, a replacement was received today.
My old device is still working and I was pleased that I was able to view my recorded material.
14- code in this case was recoverable but failure could be imminent.

I realize that this post is under the incorrect thread, sorry.

#15 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

Right as the Giants were kicking their last field goal this evening my HR34 froze. At first we thought it was the local feed but then the box became unresponsive. After a RBR I was presented with the following (attached) diagnostics code. After following the on screen instructions, the D* representative told me that it's a hard drive failure. I should be receiving a new box Wednesday. :(
[ATTACH]30134[/ATTACH]

Just our of curiosity, were you running a surge protector/power center on your HR34? It doesn't take much to fry a hard drive regardless of what it is installed in. Also, the HR34 has the largest hard drive yet in any DVR that Directv has put out. As the hard drive size increases, the number of platters increases, and the space between those platters narrows the failure rate increases.

Directv has kind of created a problem. Is the HR34 a media center/video server or is it just a time shifting devise? If it is a video server then they need to rethink what they are doing and increase the size of the storage capacity, give us a way to back it up, and give us a way to use that back up on another DVR. Yes, I am aware you could run a RAID box off of the eSata port but the cost of the RAID box and storage devices would be extravagant. If it is a time shifting devise then a 500 GB hard drive is more than large enough and there is no need to worry about if it fails. Anything recored/lost can probably be replaced.

IMHO, the whole problem is the bean counters at Directv who are trying for maximum profit by producing minimum equipment for Ma and Pa Kettle average consumer and not the power users/geeks here on DBS.

Edited by macfan601, 10 October 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   amh84

amh84

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

It was on a UPS.

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Just our of curiosity, were you running a surge protector/power center on your HR34? It doesn't take much to fry a hard drive regardless of what it is installed in. Also, the HR34 has the largest hard drive yet in any DVR that Directv has put out. As the hard drive size increases, the number of platters increases, and the space between those platters narrows the failure rate increases.

Directv has kind of created a problem. Is the HR34 a media center/video server or is it just a time shifting devise? If it is a video server then they need to rethink what they are doing and increase the size of the storage capacity, give us a way to back it up, and give us a way to use that back up on another DVR. Yes, I am aware you could run a RAID box off of the eSata port but the cost of the RAID box and storage devices would be extravagant. If it is a time shifting devise then a 500 GB hard drive is more than large enough and there is no need to worry about if it fails. Anything recored/lost can probably be replaced.

IMHO, the whole problem is the bean counters at Directv who are trying for maximum profit by producing minimum equipment for Ma and Pa Kettle average consumer and not the power users/geeks here on DBS.

You'll better served if you 'll go to more appropriate thread http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=209209

spam firewall