Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Keep symbol

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   raromr

raromr

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

How do you keep recordings from default having the Keep symbol. Got a replacement HR24 and now all records show as Keep.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,351 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

How do you keep recordings from default having the Keep symbol. Got a replacement HR24 and now all records show as Keep.

You can either change the default settings for recordings [for future recordings], or change each recording itself.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,703 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

For the ones that are already recorded, you can highlight the program in your play list and press the blue button on your remote to remove the Keep symbol. The opposite of that is to press the blue button on one that does not have it and it will put it there.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

The blue button as has been stated for existing recordings, default recording options set to keep: Until Disk full

#5 OFFLINE   raromr

raromr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

I know all that. Thanks. The Record Default is "Until Disk is Full", yet everything I record shows up with the Keep symbol. Never had this happen on any other receivers. So, what I am saying is that I don't think I have the Keep default active yet ALL recordings (Series Links or individuals) show up as Keep.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,703 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

There are 2 places for that to be marked.
1 is in the Recording Defaults
2 is in the Series manager for each series that is set.
If both of those are set to Keep Until Disc is Full I would reset the receiver.
Menu, Settings, Reset and use the first on in the list of choices.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,160 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

It should be noted there's a difference between "keep" as applied by the BLUE button vs. "keep" via the Series Link "Keep until I delete" (KUID) option. Unfortunately, they're both flagged the same way in the PLAYLIST, even though they are treated differently under certain circumstances.

Let's say you have a series link for CSI set up to KUID with the default "keep 5" episode setting. With this setting, as expected, a CSI episode will never be deleted to make room for a new recording in a "disk space low" situation. A recorded episode of CSI will be deleted, however, to make room for a 6th episode of CSI that needs to be recorded. So in that situation, KUID is really "Keep until the maximum # of episodes has been reached".

Now lets say you have that same CSI SL set-up, but this time it's at the default "Keep until disk full", again with a maximum # of episodes set to 5. If you manually tag one of the recordings on the playlist with the blue button, that episode will truly be a "Keep until I delete" episode. When the time comes to record a 6th episode, that episode will stay, and the number of CSI episodes on the playlist will grow to 6, instead of 5.

As a result, what I do is never use KUID as part of a SL. If I want to be sure a show won't be deleted, I manually "keep" it by tagging it on the PLAYLIST, using the BLUE button.
/steve

#8 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,703 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

I was not aware that there was a difference.
Thanks for the explanation Steve.

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Now it sounds like you need to go into each series link and change the series options.....each SL will need it changed individually. All new SL's should end up with the defaults you have set with keep until disk full.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,160 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

I was not aware that there was a difference.

It's very confusing. I wish they would use a different color flag on the PLAYLIST to indicate just how a show is being "kept".

What it boils down to is SL "Keep at Most" overrules SL "Keep until I delete", and BLUE button KUID overrules SL KAM.
/steve

#11 OFFLINE   raromr

raromr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

This is happening to ALL recordings even after a reset. Series link for all set up Disk is Full. This happens to individual recordings and not just series links.

#12 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,160 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

This is happening to ALL recordings even after a reset. Series link for all set up Disk is Full. This happens to individual recordings and not just series links.

Are you setting these series links up remotely, via the web browser? I notice when I do that, all those get set up as "KUID" by default, even though my recording defaults on that box are set to "Disk Full".

I'm not sure if that's a remote scheduling "bug" or "feature". You'd think it should respect whatever the recording defaults were for the box you're setting up the recording on, but perhaps they think they're helping the customer by making it KUID. I'm not sure.

Edited by Steve, 02 October 2012 - 11:14 AM.

/steve

#13 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 608 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

I'm not sure if that's a remote scheduling "bug" or "feature".

Mine does the same. Only rationale I could come up with is they figure you are likely to be away from home when setting via the web, and this would give greater assurance the recording would still be there if you didn't get home for a few days.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Enter in the playlist will also turn something to KUID, just like the blue button.

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

When I schedule from the ipad app i can chose KUID or KUF

#16 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,703 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

I know all that. Thanks. The Record Default is "Until Disk is Full", yet everything I record shows up with the Keep symbol. Never had this happen on any other receivers. So, what I am saying is that I don't think I have the Keep default active yet ALL recordings (Series Links or individuals) show up as Keep.

I have had instances where I had to change an option to something I did not want and then go back and set it to what I wanted for it to work properly.
You might change the Recording Defaults to Keep Until I Delete,
Exit the set up,
wait a few minutes and then go back in the menu and set it to Keep Until Disc is Full.

#17 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,160 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

When I schedule from the ipad app i can chose KUID or KUF

Ya. I fixed my post. Looks like it's the web browser GUIDE on DirecTV.com that defaults to "KUID".
/steve

spam firewall