Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about wiring when moving

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Arative

Arative

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

I'm moving in with my girlfriend who has a condo and its been years since I've have Directv installed. I have two HR-24 dvr's that I'll be bringing with me. She has existing coax cable for cable tv in the locations that I'll be putting my dvr's. I figure I'll upgrade to the whole home dvr if I can.

Do I still need two coax lines run for each dvr? The living room won't be a problem. Its a straight drop to the basement but the upstairs room is where I think I'll run into problems. It looks like to me when they first built the condo that the coax cable instead of dropping from the room to the basement on an interior wall, goes up, through an attic space and down and exterior wall to the basement. Seems like it would be real tough to run coax again. So I was hoping just to use the existing coax in that room. Can that be done?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

There's a whole new cabling system that only involves a single cable. With the exception of possibly having to replace a splitter, you should be good to go.

The bigger issue is mounting the dish and getting the single cable from the dish to the interior.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Arative

Arative

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I should be good on mounting the dish, 2 of the 4 condo's, I guess townhome really, already have a dish. Perfect line of sight to the southern sky.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Hopefully the coax that is there runs back to a common or central point. You want to run the coax from the dish to that common point. There, you will put in the power inserter for the SWM LNB (in the dish), and a splitter. Connect the coax that goes to the rooms to the outputs of the splitter.

You won't be able to use the same coax for anything related to cable (tv or internet), so be sure to figure out everything you have and how it runs before disconnecting anything that you might want to keep.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

I should be good on mounting the dish, 2 of the 4 condo's, I guess townhome really, already have a dish.

The distinction between condominium and townhouse is important. Most condos have Rules and Regulations that favor whatever carrier got to them first (usually cable TV).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall