Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Time available down to minutes, yet hours continue to record

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ED_in_VA

ED_in_VA

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

I have a VIP722K dish dvr. I recently connected a portable 320GB HD to it. Even though Dish says you need a hard drive with its own power supply, the portable one came right up, was formatted and available once I connected it.

The my recordings screen reported I had 58 minutes of HD time left. I set up a timer to record 12 hours of Homeland, and checked on the "time remaining" stat now and then. It would go down to about 20 or so minutes left, then go back up to 30 or 40 minutes left. I thought it was automatically sending the excess to the external hard drive, but when I chose Multi Media and looked at the space remaining, the number was not decreasing. Of the 320 GB original, the format created one 1 GB partition and a second 298 GB partition. I had archived a few short shows to test it, so it has 296.5 available. I recorded the 12 hours of the show I wanted, and the DVR still reports 28 minutes or so available, and the space on the external drive is still at 296.5 GB.

Question: Where are the recordings being stored? No other recordings appear to be getting zapped off the DVR hard drive to make room for more, so I'm really puzzled. Dish doesn't know how to answer this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

Hi, and welcome...

No way at the moment to record directly from live to the external drive.

IF you do try and record things that there is not enough space to record... the DVR will start deleting the oldest things... so if you only had an hour or less and recorded more than 12 hours... you can be sure that some things were deleted.

IF your drive was that full, it might take you a while to figure out just what was deleted.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   ED_in_VA

ED_in_VA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

Thanks. I did finally notice last night that there were about 25 episodes in one program group out of 100 that had been deleted. 25 episodes is 12 1/2 hrs of real time recording, but in space used it seems to be about 4 hours of space... The shows I had recorded were about 12 hours real time, but about 4 hours of space. Seems like the mystery is solved.

Do you know if it deletes only "unprotected" recordings? If so, if there are no more unprotected recordings, does it start to delete protected ones?

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Good question, and I don't have the answer to that one.

It is supposed to delete the oldest non-protected recordings. It is not supposed to delete protected ones... but if all your recordings are protected, I don't know what it would do.

I wasn't paying attention earlier this year while I was in the process of moving... and let my drive get too full and found that it had deleted a bunch of stuff before I caught on to it and began archiving and making room.

Also... FYI... those "space remaining" are estimates based on extremely varying factors. If you are on western arc there are MPEG4 and MPEG2 channels, also if you record OTA those are MPEG2 and less compression than the SAT channels. The kind of program also makes a difference in file size... so the receiver is taking an average space-per-minute estimate when it tells you how much "time" is left on the DVR.

Depending on the channels, it is not unheard of to find your estimated time go up by more than the real-time you deleted.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   ED_in_VA

ED_in_VA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

It definitely did not start deleting the oldest recordings first, since it wiped the last three weeks of Sept of one series that had recordings from August also.

Thanks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...