Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends
Guest Message by DevFuse

Cable companies cap data use for revenue!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

The DVR's store the incoming feeds in a different format. They don't compress it that well for both quality reasons and the fact that the CPU of the DirecTV DVR would have problems (especially the older ones) compressing two video's at the same time. It would overheat. So it is stored in such a way the DVR has to do as little work as possible yet allowing as much video as possible to be stored. A balance.

Internet streams are much more compressed, and require a bit more CPU power when playing/decompressing.

I might be a bit off on the 1 Gb/1Hour thing, but it does come close to that. If you have the option, I guess you could monitor it: Don't use the internet for an hour or so and count the bytes coming in when downloading a 1 hour show.

Sure Amazon, iTunes, Netflix, etc. can use different compression and frame rates, etc., but I thought we were talking about DirecTV's On-Demand content and the affect of these data caps on it's usage. DirecTVs On-Demand has to stick to pretty much the same type of compression as what they are using over the satellites, or else I don't think the DVRs would be able to handle it. So like I said with DirecTV's On-Demand content you are looking at 4-5GB/hr I believe, which will eat up those data caps pretty quick.

If we aren't talking about DirecTV's on-Demand, but instead all these other providers then isn't this thread in the wrong place?
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   AMike

• Registered
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

When Comcast announced their data caps a few years back, we were considered in the 1% class of heavy users due to all of the content we streamed from Netflix and VOD from D*. I switched from a residential account to a business account to avoid any data caps (plus, I do work from home so I had a legitimate reason for justifying the switch). The price was comparable to my residential account. Unfortunately for me, my business account contract expires next June and I'm sure I will get hit with a significant increase.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

Protected By... spam firewall...And...