Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Easy Access "To-Do" List?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   frapnitz

frapnitz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

I'm sure this has been answered many times before.....to access my "to do" list takes 7 button pushes.....has anyone smarter than me figured out how to do this in a more efficient way. I have a Harmony One, and I can access my"List" with one button push.

I tried to "soft" program it, but 7 was too big a number for the remote to handle.

Thanx

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,721 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

This does not get you where you want to go.

Just above and to the right is a button in the DTV remote
"List"
One press brings up the play list.

I have written to them and asked if they could program the Green button to let us jump to the To Do List. It is logical that if you look at your Play list and an item is not there the next thing you / I do is to check the To Do List to see if it is there.

If more people write in about this, maybe they will change it or do something else to get the one button press for the To Do List in the future.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   jamwadmag

jamwadmag

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

Since this has been mentioned many times, and there are some supposed D* types that monitor this forum, AGAIN what would it take to get a shortcut to the "To Do List?" Seems like a relatively benign change that MANY subscribers want that could be included in future s/w revisions...!!

NOTE: This is a 'bump' to hi-lite the many previous requests...anybody at D* with some authority to recommend changes 'got their ears on?!'

Edited by jamwadmag, 18 October 2012 - 10:22 AM.

HR21/700 HD Receiver
RC64RB/RC65R RF Remotes
Internet Connection/Directv2PC/TVersity
HDMI Splitter
Sony LCD 32"/Insignia LCD 19"
Panasonic DVD Player
Sharp 360W Receiver

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,897 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

Once upon a time, we actually did have easier access, but we lost it (through the yellow button).

Some have gotten it on their Harmony's by having it learn multiple commands as one, I have not tried this myself.

It is a very common request.

#5 OFFLINE   jamwadmag

jamwadmag

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Once upon a time, we actually did have easier access, but we lost it (through the yellow button).

Some have gotten it on their Harmony's by having it learn multiple commands as one, I have not tried this myself.

It is a very common request.

Thx for the response.

I have 3 D* RF remotes and dont plan on getting a Harmony.

I plan on 'continued hammering' on this topic (as has been suggested previously) to keep the awareness up and hopefully pressure someone at D* with marketing common sense to react to their customers desires...

BTW, I started out years ago on the D* Help Forum until I found this forum, and now dont bother with them....I get more of my questions addressed & answered here!
HR21/700 HD Receiver
RC64RB/RC65R RF Remotes
HDMI Splitter
Panasonic DVD Player
Sharp 360W Receiver

#6 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

The workaround that I use (especially with the $#!+ - slow HR21) is to keep "manage recordings" handy in the "back" button queue. This also helps with other menu functions, as I'm already a few button pushes deeper into the menu and avoids always having to reload the posters at the top of the menu. Simply "exit" at the point you want to keep, and then use the "back" button, gaining quicker access to whatever function you want to use it for.

The trick is you have to get in the habit of using the "back" button rather than accumulating funcions via exiting out of things (such as "guide" and "list) in order to keep the queue from getting too long. Also, it seems to get lost sometimes when deleting a program at the end rather than from the playlist or info screen. Of course, you'll still have to load it initially upon powering up (also the first thing I've gotten in the habit of doing).

All that said I, too would also much rather have a dedicated function button.

#7 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

The workaround that I use (especially with the $#!+ - slow HR21) is to keep "manage recordings" handy in the "back" button queue.

One strong caution I forgot to mention (especially with the HR21) is not to use the "back" button if there's anything to do with On Demand screens in the queue. Even a search result in there will make you wish you'd never used it.

In the case of an On Demand clog, all you can do is exit and start over when regaining control 2 mins. later, or power down (to clear the queue of the offending OD material) and start over from that point (power down won't even work during the clog. You can only wait for the clog to clear).

#8 OFFLINE   jamwadmag

jamwadmag

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

The workaround that I use (especially with the $#!+ - slow HR21) is to keep "manage recordings" handy in the "back" button queue. This also helps with other menu functions, as I'm already a few button pushes deeper into the menu and avoids always having to reload the posters at the top of the menu. Simply "exit" at the point you want to keep, and then use the "back" button, gaining quicker access to whatever function you want to use it for.

The trick is you have to get in the habit of using the "back" button rather than accumulating funcions via exiting out of things (such as "guide" and "list) in order to keep the queue from getting too long. Also, it seems to get lost sometimes when deleting a program at the end rather than from the playlist or info screen. Of course, you'll still have to load it initially upon powering up (also the first thing I've gotten in the habit of doing).

All that said I, too would also much rather have a dedicated function button.

Sounds reasonable, just need to get into the habit as you said.

If just 'To Do List,' I typically only look at once/day to set up additional evening recordings to make sure I dont miss something, or have simultaneous recordings on that must be postponed under 'View Upcoming' if want to watch another program during those 2 recording segments.

Thx for the suggestion...Jam
HR21/700 HD Receiver
RC64RB/RC65R RF Remotes
HDMI Splitter
Panasonic DVD Player
Sharp 360W Receiver

#9 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

I have been asking for a shortcut to the to do list for awhile also. I'm surprised the iPad app doesn't have a manage recordings screen either. It would be kind of nice to drag and drop the priorities of season passes and also scroll through the to do list from any room of the house on the iPad rather than being in the room with the DVR. I do have whole home... But whole home is half baked. There's no access to manage recordings from a client H24 for example. The whole search and recording menu structure is very different. I guess they want to push people to the Genie solution with C31 clients.

For a shortcut on the DVR though, any color button or even a double press of LIST or a press and hold of LIST would work for me.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#10 OFFLINE   jamwadmag

jamwadmag

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

For a shortcut on the DVR though, any color button or even a double press of LIST or a press and hold of LIST would work for me.

Or just a 'Key Combo/Sequence' (similar to NVRAM Clear), but only 2 keys.....

Edited by jamwadmag, 19 October 2012 - 01:26 PM.

HR21/700 HD Receiver
RC64RB/RC65R RF Remotes
HDMI Splitter
Panasonic DVD Player
Sharp 360W Receiver

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

Or "List, List".........
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   jamwadmag

jamwadmag

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

Or "List, List".........

Logical since it is the To Do LIST...sign me up!
HR21/700 HD Receiver
RC64RB/RC65R RF Remotes
HDMI Splitter
Panasonic DVD Player
Sharp 360W Receiver

#13 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

i would like to know how Harmony owners are doing this. The Harmony only allows five commands in a sequence (macro). Displaying the To Do list takes seven commands (Menu, Down, Down, Right, Right, Select, Select).

#14 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

Or "List, List".........

But, that's, like, so old fashioned. It's the way it originally was, but apparently it was too quick and easy to do.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,086 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:46 AM

i would like to know how Harmony owners are doing this. The Harmony only allows five commands in a sequence (macro). Displaying the To Do list takes seven commands (Menu, Down, Down, Right, Right, Select, Select).

I thought I read where someone said they split the seven steps between two buttons on the Harmony.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,897 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:20 AM

Not sure if all models can do this, but here is one solution

http://forums.logite...ence/m-p/277728

#17 OFFLINE   dccatl

dccatl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

I'm using this methond on a Harmony 1 on my HR-34 for CC and PIP and on a Harmony 650 for CC on my HR-24 and it works fine. This thread reminded me I need to do it on both remotes for the To-Do list.

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,364 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

I plan on 'continued hammering' on this topic (as has been suggested previously) to keep the awareness up and hopefully pressure someone at D* with marketing common sense to react to their customers desires...

Good, hammer away like some of us have for years about the ToDo list. More voices carry more weight. A sticky with the title "What are your thoughts about the placement of the ToDo list?" would probably work well, we got DLBs because of a thread like that. Since I never use DLBs, and constantly use the ToDo list, a change back to the way we used to be able to access it would be great. I keep proposing this, but nobody will make it a sticky... :nono2:

BTW, I started out years ago on the D* Help Forum until I found this forum, and now dont bother with them....I get more of my questions addressed & answered here!

Got sick of "what are your sat sigs" and "all HRs are functionally equivalent"? I can truthfully say that the D* forum has never been of any help to me.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,364 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

Sounds reasonable, just need to get into the habit as you said.

If just 'To Do List,' I typically only look at once/day to set up additional evening recordings to make sure I dont miss something, or have simultaneous recordings on that must be postponed under 'View Upcoming' if want to watch another program during those 2 recording segments.

Thx for the suggestion...Jam

We really shouldn't have to use work-arounds to access the ToDo list. What we need is a dedicated button for that.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

Thanks! I'm going to try this right away.

spam firewall