Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Comcast SportsNet Houston

• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Another link

http://blogs.houston...ffer_astros.php

Of course, they are ready to show the Rockets as they are about to be swept in the first round.  Haven't missed the Astros either this year.

Hold the reins DTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   ShawnL25

ShawnL25

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

Rockets, Astros and Dynamo back on your TVs... for a month
Updated at 12:48 PM today

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- You can now watch your favorite local sports teams on television again... for one month.

Comcast SportsNet Houston (CSN) is offering a 'freeview' of their channel featuring the Rockets, Astros and Dynamo games through May 31. The cable sports network is in ongoing negotiations with cable providers such as DirecTV, AT&T U-verse, DISH, Suddenlink and others as Houston sports fans are unable to watch their favorite teams on those providers.

The games cannot be seen on 58 percent of TV sets in our area.

On Thursday, CSN Houston announced that the 37-day free trial will begin immediately and will provide live coverage of the Rockets first-round NBA playoff games vs. the Oklahoma City Thunder, including pregame and postgame coverage; upcoming Houston Dynamo matches vs. the Colorado Rapids, L.A. Galaxy, D.C. United, Sporting Kansas City and New England Revolution, and the Astros first American League series match-ups vs. the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees, as well as games against their in-state rivals, the Texas Rangers.

Fans are urged to contact their provider in order to find out if CSN Houston's coverage of the Rockets, Astros and Dynamo will be placed on your channel lineup during this limited time. If your provider is not listed below, please refer to your bill for customer service contact information.

• DIRECTV --- 1-888-777-2454
  • AT&T --- 1-800-288-2020
  • DISH --- 1-888-656-2461
  • Suddenlink --- 1-877-794-2724
  • Time Warner Cable --- 1-800-TWCABLE

I'd like to see them add it for one month 

Edited by ShawnL25, 25 April 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#203 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

After ranting that they are worth the higher money, now they are giving it away for a month?

How about just coming to a reasonable number that fits what you are worth and be on forever.

I cannot see anyone adding this "free" channel for a month and then taking it away when it is not free anymore. It is one thing to turn on an existing channel for viewers like an HBO freeview but adding a channel is a bit more complicated than that.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#204 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

The Astros and Rangers share a claim to all of Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas and a small part of New Mexico. The goal of CSN-H is to be on every system in the state and region, not just Comcast systems around Houston. It will have to offer the channel to DirecTV at the same price it offers it to the myriad of other cable companies across the region.

The delay, if you follow DirecTV's history, is that it is not going to pick up something just for the NBA. It will wait until baseball returns next April and pick up the channel, as it has in the past.

This has not panned out to be true so far it appears.  All Astros games have been blacked out so far.  While I can't stand them, I would like to see some of the teams playing them.  At least they are not blacked out on the mix channel I guess.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#205 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

If they're going to offer a freeview why not just stream the games from their website? I don't see the providers offering and teasing their customers with the channel for just a month.

#206 OFFLINE   SChonson

SChonson

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

Plus the Rockets Playoffs are on TNT now.

#207 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Plus the Rockets Playoffs are on TNT now.

The first round is also on local stations, correct? (I wouldn't know; I live in Wizards territory but pretty sure the Knicks were on MSG.)

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#208 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

It looks like some of the Rockets will be on espn as well.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#209 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

After ranting that they are worth the higher money, now they are giving it away for a month?

How about just coming to a reasonable number that fits what you are worth and be on forever.

I cannot see anyone adding this "free" channel for a month and then taking it away when it is not free anymore. It is one thing to turn on an existing channel for viewers like an HBO freeview but adding a channel is a bit more complicated than that.

They must be hurting or want to try some BS like You system wants to take your TEAMS away from you call them tell them to keep CSN Houston on the air.

Comcast maybe playing dirty hear.

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 25 April 2013 - 08:45 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#210 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

http://blog.chron.co...ston-free-view/

Suddenlink agrees to air CSN Houston ‘free view’

Suddenlink today agreed to air Comcast SportsNet Houston on its Houston-area systems through May 31 as part of CSN Houston’s “free view” offer to cable, satellite and telco providers in a five-state region.

It did so, however, with a not-so-subtle jab at the network owned by the Rockets, Astros and NBC Sports Group.

“We’ve informed CSN Houston that free is the right price for putting their network on our expanded basic level of service, and we will accept that price for our Houston-area customers as long as CSN wants to make it available,” the Suddenlink statement said. “… We look forward to providing CSN to our Houston-area customers.”

A Suddenlink spokesman said the St. Louis-based company was still waiting to hear from NBC Sports Group officials about details of the free view and could not provide immediate word on which Suddenlink systems would receive CSN Houston.

Suddenlink, which services portions of Kingwood and Humble and other Houston area neighborhoods as part of its 16-state system, is the largest carrier to agree thus far to the CSN Houston free view offer. The network offered this week to provide its service free of charge through May 31 to more than a hundred providers in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas and New Mexico in an effort to revive carriage negotiations.

Suddenlink in the past has said it would agree to carry CSN Houston on a sports tier but does not believe there is sufficient customer demand to carry it on expanded basic across the Astros’ five-state broadcast territory.

#211 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

C'mon, DIRECTV, now that Suddenlink's in, go ahead and jump in, too. At the end of the "freeview," if CSN Houston (that would be Jim "I'm such a naive moron" Crane) hasn't yet seen the light, shut it down and tell him to stick it back in his ear.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#212 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

http://blog.chron.co...ree-view-terms/

Oh the drama...

Suddenlink, CSN Houston clash over ‘free view’ terms

Suddenlink said Friday it had agreed to accept Comcast SportsNet Houston’s “free view” offer through the end of May for its Houston-area cable systems.

But CSN Houston said Suddenlink’s conditions – airing the channel in the Houston area only and not across a five-state region – are, in effect, a rejection of its free view proposal.

“They’re trying to carve out a piece of our offer and put it in their terms,” a network official said. “That’s not how it works.”

The upshot, as things stood Friday afternoon, is that the free view offer is not likely to fly for Suddenlink subscribers without compromise by one party or the other.

The St. Louis-based cable carrier said in a statement Friday afternoon it had agreed to accept CSN Houston’s offer to carry the cable network free of charge through May 31 — but only for six systems in the Houston area, not all of its systems across a five-state area.

“We’ve informed CSN Houston that free is the right price for putting their network on our expanded basic level of service, and we will accept that price for our Houston-area customers as long as CSN wants to make it available,” Suddenlink said in a statement. “… We look forward to providing CSN to our Houston-area customers.”

CSN Houston on Wednesday offered its service free of charge through May 31 to about a hundred cable, satellite and telco providers in a five-state region.

The terms of the offer, however, require Suddenlink or any other regional carrier to carry CSN Houston across all its systems in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas and New Mexico — not on selected systems, as Suddenlink wants to do.

Suddenlink in the past has said it would agree to carry CSN Houston on a sports tier but does not believe there is sufficient customer demand to carry it on expanded basic across the Astros’ five-state broadcast territory.

Adding to the confusion over the matter is that Suddenlink’s statement touches on elements that do not apply to broadcast rules for major league sports. The carrier said it would require CSN Houston to obtain “blackout waivers” for Rockets playoff games past the first round of the NBA playoffs. In fact, games in the second round and beyond air only on national carriers and will not air on CSN Houston, so no “blackout waivers” would be necessary.

Similarly, AT&T U-verse complained in a statement Thursday that CSN Houston’s free view offer does not allow it to stream NBA and Major League Baseball games involving the Rockets and Astros on its website. In fact, streaming of games is not allowed under MLB and NBA rules are is limited to subscription packages not under the network’s control.

“AT&T’s suggestion that CSN Houston should stream our coverage of Astros games and Suddenlink’s concerns about our ability to black out second- and third-round NBA Playoff games on ESPN and TNT clearly demonstrates an unfortunate lack of knowledge surrounding sports rights, and once again their customers are stuck waiting as these important games unfold,” said Matt Hutchings, CSN Houston’s president and general manager.

“These providers are exhibiting a total lack of respect for the fans throughout our region as they continue to treat CSN Houston differently than virtually every (regional sports network) that they carry nationwide.”

Three smaller carriers — Mid-Coast Cablevision, Texas Mid-Gulf Cablevision and Bay City Cablevision – have accepted the free view offer. DirecTV and Dish Network have not commented, and AT&T’s statement did not address the free view offer and reiterated its desire to carry the channel on an a la carte basis.

#213 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

Oh the drama...

I'm actually looking forward to some day tossing Jim Crane a few bucks as he sits somewhere on the streets of downtown Houston with a sign that reads something to the affect of, "Will work for a brain." It's simply unbelievable to me that MLB approved the sale of the Astros to this naive idiot.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#214 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,030 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

My guess is that D* will not take advantage of the free trial period, unless they are certain they can get a deal done before the trial period is over.  Otherwise, it can do them more harm than good to add the channel temporarily—giving their customers something only to take it away a month later will make them more upset and likely to switch providers IMO.  I think CSN Houston is banking on this, thinking that if they get their foot in the door, it will be that much harder for the providers to say no to their terms.  Airing the free trial, therefore, would give CSN more leverage in the negotiations.

That's my personal take.  Could be wrong, of course.

#215 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

My guess is that D* will not take advantage of the free trial period, unless they are certain they can get a deal done before the trial period is over.  Otherwise, it can do them more harm than good to add the channel temporarily—giving their customers something only to take it away a month later will make them more upset and likely to switch providers IMO.  I think CSN Houston is banking on this, thinking that if they get their foot in the door, it will be that much harder for the providers to say no to their terms.  Airing the free trial, therefore, would give CSN more leverage in the negotiations.

That's my personal take.  Could be wrong, of course.

Agree 100%

Think it also shows how desperate they are.

#216 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

Another full page ad in the Houston Chronicle from CSN touting their "free trail" offer.  Of course, they list all the providers phone numbers but nowhere do they list their phone number.

I applaud DTV for not taking this Blackmail offer.  CSN needs to get off their high horse and negotiate fair-minded.  The Rockets are toast and if I want to watch a minor league team, the Sugarland Skeeters stream for free.

What's even more crazy is that I know more Texas Rangers players names than Astros players names.

#217 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

C'mon, DIRECTV, now that Suddenlink's in, go ahead and jump in, too. At the end of the "freeview," if CSN Houston (that would be Jim "I'm such a naive moron" Crane) hasn't yet seen the light, shut it down and tell him to stick it back in his ear.

So you want to help Him Crane's cause by adding the channel for 30+ days and then take it away when a deal does not get done?  Don't you think DirecTV has a better chance of getting a deal if they hold out now instead of after the major push (NBA Playoffs & MLB Season starting) for this is in play?

HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#218 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Another full page ad in the Houston Chronicle from CSN touting their "free trail" offer.  Of course, they list all the providers phone numbers but nowhere do they list their phone number.

I applaud DTV for not taking this Blackmail offer.  CSN needs to get off their high horse and negotiate fair-minded.  The Rockets are toast and if I want to watch a minor league team, the Sugarland Skeeters stream for free.

What's even more crazy is that I know more Texas Rangers players names than Astros players names.

It does kind of show how valuable MLB believes the Astros are.  That or maybe they are very confident the deal will get done.  I am not so sure since CSN has proven to be difficult to deal with.

Sony KDL-46HX800

#219 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

Why don't these teams just start offering their games over the internet?

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 29 April 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#220 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

Why don't these teams just start offering their games over the internet?

Because they need/want money.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...