Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Comcast SportsNet Houston

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#221 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,709 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Because they need/want money.

Right, and there are sports fans out there who are willing to pay to watch their favorite LOCAL teams, but as of right now there is no way for them to do that.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Right, and there are sports fans out there who are willing to pay to watch their favorite LOCAL teams, but as of right now there is no way for them to do that.

And the worst part is people who are told, "If you switched to Comcast you would have great coverage of your favorite local teams!" yet can't get Comcast in the area they live.  Lose - Lose.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#223 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 840 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

So you want to help Him Crane's cause by adding the channel for 30+ days...?

No, I'm actually far more interested in my own agenda than I am in any Crane "cause." And my agenda includes watching a little Astros baseball, especially if it's free. If the channel comes down in thirty days, then so be it. Do you really not believe that anyone who is even marginally still interested in Astros baseball (all three of us or so) isn't also fully aware of the Crane/CSNH-MVPD situation?

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#224 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

Why don't these teams just start offering their games over the internet?

Don't know about the NBA but MLB holds all Internet rights to all its games. The Astros cannot put the games on. The only Internet outlet is MLB.tv.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#225 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

Don't know about the NBA but MLB holds all Internet rights to all its games. The Astros cannot put the games on. The only Internet outlet is MLB.tv.

NBA games are just like MLB games, if the your in the teams local territory you will be blacked out.  Doesn't matter if your TV provider offers the channel or not.

#226 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

NBA games are just like MLB games, if the your in the teams local territory you will be blacked out.  Doesn't matter if your TV provider offers the channel or not.

I meant I do not know who owned the rights. The league or the local team locally. MLB teams own their local tv and radio rights but MLB owns all satellite radio and Internet rights, regardless of location.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#227 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

No, I'm actually far more interested in my own agenda than I am in any Crane "cause." And my agenda includes watching a little Astros baseball, especially if it's free. If the channel comes down in thirty days, then so be it. Do you really not believe that anyone who is even marginally still interested in Astros baseball (all three of us or so) isn't also fully aware of the Crane/CSNH-MVPD situation?

You overestimate the knowledge of those in your area.  People hear "free" and immediately want it.  You understand it would be gone in a month(if negotiations fail) and you're fine with it, most are not.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#228 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 840 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

You overestimate the knowledge of those in your area.  People hear "free" and immediately want it.  You understand it would be gone in a month(if negotiations fail) and you're fine with it, most are not.

And I would suggest that perhaos you underestimate their knowledge (either that or I'm simply not privy to your poll data). In any event, DIRECTV runs a periodic crawl on the potentially temporary channel and, voilà, the ignorant masses are suddenly not so ignorant (assuming they can at least read).

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#229 OFFLINE   danegerous25

danegerous25

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:08 AM

we at work(FSN) talk about the situation every so often, mostly laugh at how the Rockets/Astros thought the grass was greener on the other side. Though one co-worker did have a interesting idea that the Rockets could buy back there rights and come back to the Fox family. Yes, FS Southwest is Dallas focused but they are starting to lessen that. Ever since Fox and OU signed a deal we have had a ton more Oklahoma Alternates than just Thunder Games. Houston programming can grow if they would come back. Prodigal son style. Comcast is crazy thinking they can charge more money then FS Southwest.(SNL Kagan average $2.88).  For working in TV the biggest kicker of it all is, due to it not being on D* or dish, No Sports reporting enities can get highlights from the Astros side. Always have to use the other side.

#230 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

we at work(FSN) talk about the situation every so often, mostly laugh at how the Rockets/Astros thought the grass was greener on the other side. Though one co-worker did have a interesting idea that the Rockets could buy back there rights and come back to the Fox family. Yes, FS Southwest is Dallas focused but they are starting to lessen that. Ever since Fox and OU signed a deal we have had a ton more Oklahoma Alternates than just Thunder Games. Houston programming can grow if they would come back. Prodigal son style. Comcast is crazy thinking they can charge more money then FS Southwest.(SNL Kagan average $2.88).  For working in TV the biggest kicker of it all is, due to it not being on D* or dish, No Sports reporting enities can get highlights from the Astros side. Always have to use the other side.

This has been Coincast's business model for years.  Buy up team's broadcast rights with majority control so Comcast gets to control carriage costs, then jack up the price intentionally to some idiotic number, knowing the satellite companies won't pay for it, thus, it forces people to switch to Comcast in the city.

The biggest problem lies with people outside of the Comcast footprint who couldn't switch even if they wanted to.  They're just stuck with no hope of ever seeing the Rockets or Astros ever again.  The same thing has happened here in Oregon with the Blazers.  I live on the coast and Comcast isn't even available here, so we will never see a Blazers game ever again.  I don't even know, nor do I care, who is on the team anymore.  I just follow the other 29 teams and forget the Blazers even exist.

#231 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

This has been Coincast's business model for years.  Buy up team's broadcast rights with majority control so Comcast gets to control carriage costs, then jack up the price intentionally to some idiotic number, knowing the satellite companies won't pay for it, thus, it forces people to switch to Comcast in the city.

and yet CSN Chicago has been free of BS like that for all the years it's been CSN.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#232 OFFLINE   danegerous25

danegerous25

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

from what im hearing, Sat and Cable companies are using CSN Houston as the line in the sand against the RSN Fee Bubble. Makes sense. No matter what anyone says about paying for FS SW in Houston, Fox will use it's extensive network leverage to keep all their networks in place. The War is being fought here. I imagine it's only only to get worse when Dodgers Net get launched.

#233 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

http://blog.chron.co...o/?cmpid=hpfsln

Astros Postolos resigns as team president and CEO

George Postolos has resigned as Astros president and CEO, the team announced in a news release today.

Postolos, who played a key role working with Astros owner Jim Crane and his group in the purchase of the team, had been the team president and CEO since November 2011. He worked for seven years with Crane to acquire a sports franchise.

“I am very proud of what Jim accomplished with my help – acquiring a major league franchise with a strong and diverse ownership group, developing and implementing a good plan for the team’s future, and assembling a first rate management team,” Postolos said in a statement. “I look forward to helping other investors pursue their objectives in sports knowing that Jim and the Astros organization are off to a great start and well positioned for future success.”

Postolos will be return to his consulting practice advising investors on acquisitions and strategy in major league sports.

During his time with the team, Postolos spearheaded several changes within the organization, including the Astros overall rebranding process, which included new team uniforms, colors and logos.

He was also a driving force behind the Astros’ stake in CSN Houston, a new television network that has struggled to get full distribution in its first year.

“We appreciate George’s hard work in the acquisition of the Astros and his commitment to the organization,” Crane said. “I’d also like to personally thank him for the assistance that he has provided to me over the last several years and wish him the best of luck in the future.”

While the Astros received positive reviews for parts of their rebranding efforts (particularly the new uniforms), the makeover did have some highly publicized clashes (former pitcher and broadcaster Larry Dierker).

Postolos first came to Houston as an executive with the Rockets in 1998. He worked with the Rockets through 2006 before leaving to form The Postolos Group, an investment and advisory firm that specialized in the sports and live entertainment business.

Postolos worked with Crane for five years in Crane’s bid to buy the Astros (2011) and was then named team president and CEO.

The Astros have struggled on the field the last two seasons and attendance (19,445) is just below last year’s average when the team drew 1.6 million, its lowest since 1995.

#234 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

http://www.chron.com...hp?t=d8c59da1c7

http://www.chron.com...hp?t=bb65c1fa56

http://www.chron.com...hp?t=d379dd5059

Just a few articles from the Chronicle regarding the "resigination" of George Postolos.  I like the comment in the 3rd article that predicts CSN will strike deals within 72 hours.

Even the local TV was harping on the failure of the Astros to get a deal done regarding CSN and all of the providers.

#235 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,709 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

Will this really change anything though? I thought it was the owner Jim Crane, not the CEO, that wanted more money for CSN-Houston?

#236 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

I can't stand the Astros but find myself wanting to see the teams playing them usually.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#237 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Will this really change anything though? I thought it was the owner Jim Crane, not the CEO, that wanted more money for CSN-Houston?

Postolos was considered by local media to be an obstacle to reaching a deal with TV carriers. He was also on the CSN Houston board.

But carriers see CSN Houston with it's rather lackluster sports teams a good place to draw a line in the sand about skyrocketing sports network costs.

I guess we'll see if there is a change in attitude after the meeting on Monday arbitrated by the Mayor of Houston between CSN and Suddenlink

http://blog.chron.co...link-officials/

Edited by Snickering Hound, 14 May 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#238 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

It won't surprise me to see some type of agreement reached in the next couple of weeks. You have to remember that CSN was the brainchild of Postolos. I'm sure he sold this "inflated value" to Crane, who is definitely in it for the money. With Postolos out of the way, someone new can come in and strike an equitable deal with all of the providers.

#239 OFFLINE   SChonson

SChonson

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

It won't surprise me to see some type of agreement reached in the next couple of weeks. You have to remember that CSN was the brainchild of Postolos. I'm sure he sold this "inflated value" to Crane, who is definitely in it for the money. With Postolos out of the way, someone new can come in and strike an equitable deal with all of the providers.

LOL won't happen.

#240 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

LOL won't happen.

Only time will tell when a deal will happen, but it will happen. It is in the best interests of all the teams/providers to finalize a deal - just hoping that is an equitable deal for all parties. I'm just about ready to drop my Sports package as "the bang for the buck" is not really there any more.

spam firewall