Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Comcast SportsNet Houston

• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   RandyOH

RandyOH

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

I remember last season seeing some of them on.  I'm not sure if DirecTV carries every single broadcast if they have the broadcast for the opposing team.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#302 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

http://blog.chron.co...ankruptcy-case/

What to expect (and what not to expect) in CSN Houston bankruptcy case

The Astros on Monday will file their motion asking that the Chapter 11 case brought by several Comcast/NBC-affiliated creditors be dismissed by U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Marvin Isgur. The creditors will have a week to reply, followed by evidence discovery and the Oct. 28 hearing on the Astros’ motion to dismiss and the creditors’ motion to have an interim trustee appointed to oversee the network while the bankruptcy case continues.

What remains very much in question is where the Rockets line up on this. The Rockets obviously need to boost carriage for a team that now includes Dwight Howard, but the same bankruptcy procedure that could result in a reduction in the Astros’ CSN Houston equity also could reduce the Rockets’ ownership stake in the network. Team officials have declined to comment on the matter, so it will be interesting to see if the Rockets file a motion of any sort Monday.

For those who have asked, the bankruptcy procedure quite obviously has superseded any carriage talks with the likes of DirecTV, Dish Network or U-verse, reducing the chance that the first few weeks of the Rockets’ season will air on those platforms, and it’s given life to some dandy rumors.

For example, a woman trying to convince me to pick up U-verse service asked me Thursday if I was aware that the Rockets and Astros were headed back to Fox Sports Southwest.

Clearly that’s not happening until this legal matter is resolved, if then, and I’m not sure if U-verse is telling its salespeople to spread that rumor or if the sales staff is doing so on its own.

I think the more likely outcome is that Comcast will buy out the Rockets and Astros, even if it has to pay more than it wants to pay, rather than running the risk of having the Astros bolt if the bankruptcy case is dismissed, which would result in the loss of several tens of millions that Comcast/NBC has invested in the network. Astros owner Jim Crane said this week that Comcast offered to buy him out but that he rejected the offer. He said Comcast rejected his counteroffer and did not reply to a second counteroffer.

If the case stays in Chapter 11 reorganization after the Oct. 28 hearing, an interim trustee would have the power to arrange carriage deals without the approval of the Rockets or Astros.

#303 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,273 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:23 AM

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.  I suspect the blazers channels days are numbered as well. But this is worse.

#304 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

I don't think so. The blazers version is  bascially on a cable providers just like CSN Philly. It just isn't on satellite like the Philadelphia counter part. They also cut way back on programing to cover the difference.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.  I suspect the blazers channels days are numbered as well. But this is worse.

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#305 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

I think the Blazers are different....I do not think they have any ownership interest in CSN Northwest, unlike the Astros.

#306 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,273 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

The blazers have a distribution problem like rockets do but it's not quite as bad. They can easily jump to another channel since they don't own a piece of the RSN when their contract is up. Im hoping this fiasco in Huston discourages any more teams from starting their own networks.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#307 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

The blazers have a distribution problem like rockets do but it's not quite as bad. They can easily jump to another channel since they don't own a piece of the RSN when their contract is up. Im hoping this fiasco in Huston discourages any more teams from starting their own networks.

1 team RSN's may stop from what happen hear or maybe we can have that MLB lawsuit end up with the team areas / zones getting cut down.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#308 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, once the current contract is up (IIRC 4 years from now) then CSNNW is done. The Blazers will not renew their contract with CSNNW even if they are the highest bidder. The only way they'd resign is if they get carriage on DirecTV/Dish with verbage in the contract for opt-out clauses.

#309 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, once the current contract is up (IIRC 4 years from now) then CSNNW is done. The Blazers will not renew their contract with CSNNW even if they are the highest bidder. The only way they'd resign is if they get carriage on DirecTV/Dish with verbage in the contract for opt-out clauses.

I totally agree with you on this AND I'm guessing the Phillies will do the same thing when their contract with CSN Philly is over. Today's sports teams need more coverage than the past to make money. Therefore they don't have time for cable companies such as Comcast to keep playing their monopoly games.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#310 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

I totally agree with you on this AND I'm guessing the Phillies will do the same thing when their contract with CSN Philly is over. Today's sports teams need more coverage than the past to make money. Therefore they don't have time for cable companies such as Comcast to keep playing their monopoly games.

What about CSN Chicago it seems to be safe and has been free of all of the other BS that the other CSN's have.

#311 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

So far the Astros are the first ones being the assholes when you talk carriage rights money wise. But as you know, the blazers have regretted their deal with comcast due to their unrealistic price and the phillies issue is much the same in terms of coverage. They can't make money without the product being avail

#312 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

So far the Astros are the first ones being the assholes when you talk carriage rights money wise. But as you know, the blazers have regretted their deal with comcast due to their unrealistic price and the phillies issue is much the same in terms of coverage. They can't make money without the product being avail

The Phillies may bail over to fox

#313 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

Right now, the threat of FSN Philly is just that. A threat. And the Phillies will use that threat in talks with Comcast. FSN will probably need more than just the Phillies to exist. However, since any game they have local rights to via FSN (both teams) can be ported to FS1 under their new MLB contract, there is something bigger at stake for Fox than the normal local rights.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#314 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Right now, the threat of FSN Philly is just that. A threat. And the Phillies will use that threat in talks with Comcast. FSN will probably need more than just the Phillies to exist. However, since any game they have local rights to via FSN (both teams) can be ported to FS1 under their new MLB contract, there is something bigger at stake for Fox than the normal local rights.

get the Sixers as well.

#315 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

get the Sixers as well.

Maybe, maybe not. Still just a threat. FSN Philly does not exist at this point.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#316 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

Yeah that's a likely possibility as we'll and the Sixers are in the same situation as well when it comes to money and coverage. I say Comcast will lose this in the long run just like Cox cable did with the Padres. The cable exclusive crap doesn't work money wise for the sports teams ( they can get more money when their product is avail to more vs just the local area) that increases the value of their tv contracts.

#317 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

http://blog.chron.co...kruptcy-filing/

Astros seek dismissal of CSN Houston's bankruptcy filing

The Astros asked a federal bankruptcy judge Monday to dismiss an involuntary Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed Sept. 27 against the parent company of Comcast SportsNet Houston, describing the effort by Comcast and its affiliates to restructure the Astros-Rockets-Comcast partnership through bankruptcy as a “road to nowhere.”

The 35-page document was filed with U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Marvin Isgur, who has set an Oct. 28 hearing to determine whether he will dismiss the case, filed by four Comcast affiliates against Houston Regional Sports Network, the parent company of CSN Houston, and to determine if an interim trustee should be named to oversee the network if it remains in bankruptcy court.

Monday was the deadline for the Astros, who own 46 percent of the partnership, to file their response to the Chapter 11 petition. The Rockets, who own about 32 percent, have not commented on the case. Comcast owns the remaining 22 percent of the network.

Four creditors affiliated with Comcast – National Digital Television Center, CSN California, Comcast Sports Management Services and Houston SportsNet Finance – filed the Sept. 27 petition alleging that CSN Houston faces an “urgent financial and corporate government crisis” and cannot pay its bills because of “total gridlock” among the partners.

The Astros, however, describe the bankruptcy filing as an effort by Comcast to “gain control over the Astros’ most valuable asset, the media rights to televise their own Major League Baseball games.” They argue in Monday’s response that Comcast is trying through bankruptcy to force the Astros to accept undervalued carriage deals for CSN Houston that would damage both the network and the ballclub.

CSN Houston is available in only about 40 percent of the 2.2 million TV households in the 20-county Houston designated market area and has been unable to negotiate carriage agreements with such major companies as DirecTV, Dish Network and AT&T U-verse. Astros and Rockets games were not available to most local TV households in the 2012-13 Rockets season and 2013 Astros season, and the Rockets begin their 2013-14 regular season on Oct. 30, two days after the scheduled hearing.

The Astros also say that Comcast “orchestrated the (bankruptcy) filing in bad faith” in an effort to gain a “tactical advantage over the Astros in their partnership dispute.” The request for a trustee, they add, is improper because the trustee would have power to make decisions regarding media rights agreements, which the Astros claim “cannot be assigned as a matter of law.”

Because such intellectual property rights cannot be reassigned, and because the CSN Houston partnership dispute involves agreements that are governed by state law, the Astros claim that allowing the case to remain in bankruptcy is “a road to nowhere.”

The Astros said CSN Houston failed to make rights fee payments to them that were due on July 31 and Aug. 30 and that the ballclub informed the network that it would terminate its agreement with CSN Houston and retake their broadcast rights as of Sept. 30 if the money was not delivered by Sept. 29. Comcast headed off that possibility by filing the bankruptcy case on Sept. 27 “as an end run,” according to the response filed Monday.

The response touches on several familiar topics, including the requirement that any rights agreement must be approved unanimously by the four-member CSN Houston board, which includes one representative from the Astros and Rockets and two from Comcast, but also amplifies on the heretofore behind-the-scenes disagreements between the partners.

Unanimous consent, the team said, is “indispensable to the protection of the Astros’ media rights because, without them, the Comcast and Rockets directors (voting together) could control the value of the Astros’ most valuable asset – their media rights – by causing the network to enter into undervalued affiliation agreements, modify the terms of the Astros’ media rights agreement or file for bankruptcy.”

The Rockets have not commented on any disagreement with the Astros, and Astros owner Jim Crane referred to the topic only in general terms during an interview last week.

The Astros’ response also touches on several elements of bankruptcy and contract law that in terms of complexity transcend the basic issue that has concerned Rockets and Astros fans: the inability to see their teams on their satellite or cable carriers.

For example, they say the complaints by the four Comcast affiliates do not meet the requirement for an involuntary Chapter 11 proceeding of of three or more entities with “undisputed, bona fide claims.” The ballclub claims that two of the Comcast entities’ claims are based on “unauthorized oral contracts” to which the Astros did not consent.

The Astros also claim that their media rights deal is a personal services agreement as well as a trademark agreement and cannot be assigned to another party through bankruptcy or without the Astros’ consent.

The Astros also maintain that the case should be dismissed because there is no “reasonable likelihood” that Houston Sports Regional Network can be reorganized in bankruptcy court. Even if the ownership structure is changed under bankruptcy, the team claims, the Astros will retain their broadcast rights and will be free to sell them to another party.

Officials with the NBC Sports Group, which manages CSN Houston, had no comment on the Astros’ motion.

Edited by Snickering Hound, 07 October 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#318 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

So the Astros did kill the deal that comcast and the rockets had with other systems?

Now will they be a way to have the network up with Astors games blacked in market on the other systems if they keep playing hardball?? they get voted out??

#319 OFFLINE   SChonson

SChonson

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

Yes they did.

#320 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

http://blog.chron.co...tcy/?cmpid=hpts

Rockets take different stance than Astros on CSN Houston bankruptcy

The Rockets have broken ranks with the Astros, their partners in the parent company of Comcast SportsNet Houston, by informing a federal bankruptcy court that they agree with a motion by four Comcast affiliates to keep the troubled partnership under Chapter 11 protection.

The 18-page statement filed with Bankruptcy Judge Marvin Isgur on Monday is the first time the Rockets have shown their hand in the contentious disagreement between the Astros and Comcast over the future of Houston Regional Sports Network, the Astros-Rockets-Comcast partnership that owns CSN Houston.

Isgur will preside next Monday over a hearing on the Astros’ motion to dismiss the bankruptcy case and Comcast’s motion to name an interim trustee for the network.

If Isgur dismisses the case, attorneys for the Rockets say, the Astros are likely to reclaim their broadcast rights from CSN Houston, because those rights were not paid during the last three months of the Major League Baseball season. Four Comcast subsidiaries filed the involuntary Chapter 11 case on Sept. 27 to prevent that move by the Astros, which would have taken place on Oct. 1.

Allowing the Astros to pull their rights from CSN Houston, the Rockets say, “would compel the Rockets entities to terminate the Rockets agreement, thereby causing the network to implode.”

Aside from that phrase, the Rockets’ statement generally strikes a moderate tone than the sharply worded filings by the Astros and Comcast, although it does agree with Comcast on the essential point that bankruptcy reorganization is the best way to ensure the network’s survival as the NBA season openers approach next week.

“The chapter 11 process and this court’s oversight will prove the best means of assuring full payment of creditors, realization of the owners’ equity investments, protection of the network’s business (including its employees’ jobs) and satisfaction of the fans expectation of high quality sports media coverage,” attorneys for the Rockets said in the statement.

“The alternative is liquidation, resulting in huge losses for creditors, no return on equity, terminated employees and no ability in the near term for Houston fans to see their favorite teams on television.”

The Rockets also said the team has “no interest in placing blame on any party as it relates to the current predicament.” By contrast, the Astros say Comcast is trying to take the team’s equity interest in CSN Houston through an improper bankruptcy filing, and Comcast subsidiaries say that the network’s success has been stymied by the Astros’ opposition to carriage agreements that the baseball team feels do not provide sufficient revenue.

However, the Rockets also oppose Comcast’s request for an interim trustee. Naming a trustee, they say, “will defeat one of the core purposes of the chapter 11 process in this case – namely, to bring divergent parties together to forge a consensus that will maximize value for all stakeholders.” A trustee, they say, “could well discourage negotiations among the parties.”

Instead, the Rockets propose naming a “responsible officer” to run CSN Houston’s day to day operations and suggests that the court order Comcast, the Astros and Rockets to negotiate for one week “to attempt to reach consensus on a path forward.”

On other points, though, the Rockets veer more toward Comcast’s view. They say the Astros are trying to prevent CSN Houston being in bankruptcy because “they do not perceive it to be in their own interest.” However, they add, “Individual stakeholder self-interest” is not sufficient grounds for the Astros to challenge a decision that would be in CSN Houston’s best interests.

The Rockets also said they “respectfully disagree with the Astros entities and believe that a successful reorganization (under Chapter 11) is possible” for CSN Houston. They also question the Astros’ assertion that the case does not belong in bankruptcy court because the Astros’ broadcast rights agreement, which the team licenses to CSN Houston to air games, is not subject to bankruptcy law.

“The chapter 11 process should not be cut off at the knees by dismissal of the petition before the process even has a chance to function,” the Rockets’ attorneys said.

In the wake of the Rockets’ statement, Giles Kibbe, the Astros’ general counsel, said today that the Astros “respect but disagree with (the Rockets’) position on this matter.”

“The two teams have very different media rights deals,” Kibbe said. “In order for the Astros to have a top tier payroll in MLB, we must receive profit from the network in addition to our media rights fee. The Rockets’ media rights fee, alone, puts them in the top tier of the NBA. They don’t have to rely on the network being profitable. This is a very significant structural difference that causes the teams to view this situation differently.”

He added, “We have a great relationship with the Rockets and nothing that happens here is going to change that.”

CSN Houston has been unable to arrange carriage agreements with DirecTV, Dish Network, AT&T U-verse and Suddenlink and is available in only about 40 percent of the 2.2 million TV households in the Houston area.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...