Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Comcast SportsNet Houston

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   SChonson

SChonson

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

Fortunately the pre-season games have been on NBATV. Albiet they were blacked out live but the replays of the full games weren't. Plus the next game on Thursday will be on TNT.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

http://blog.chron.co...mpid=sportshcat

Judge allows Astros to seek new TV partner

A federal bankruptcy judge Tuesday authorized the Astros to negotiate with third parties on a new business plan for Houston Regional Sports Network, the troubled Astros-Rockets-Comcast partnership that owns Comcast SportsNet Houston.

Judge Marvin Isgur signed what he described as “a pretty extraordinary” three-page order that was accepted in a rare show of unanimity among the fractious network partners.

It names the Astros as lead negotiator with authority to “investigate and negotiate the terms of carriage agreements, broadcast agreements, management agreements, lease agreements, equipment agreements, purchase and sale agreements and debt and equity investments and other matters pertaining to the formulation of a business plan.”

Judge Isgur’s order, signed 24 hours before the Rockets’ regular-season opener on CSN Houston, has no apparent immediate effect on efforts to line up carriage agreements with DirecTV, Suddenlink or AT&T U-verse.

However, it frees Astros owner Jim Crane, who has been critical of the network’s financial performance, to negotiate with parties such as Fox and DirecTV across a wide range of services and scenarios that could impact the future of the Astros and Rockets on TV.

“We’re very excited about trying to get something done here for the Astros, the Rockets, the fans and the city,” Crane said. “We think there is demand. … We’re not looking for the best deal in the universe, just a fair deal that is good for the teams.”

Crane said he will consult “with all the players — Fox, DirecTV, AT&T, Time Warner. I will work to try to get something favorable so that we can move on with or without Comcast in the deal.”

Any agreements into which the Astros enter on the network’s behalf, such as carriage deals or the sale of a portion of the partnership to a third party, are subject to the court’s approval.

Judge Isgur’s order places on hold the Astros’ motion to dismiss the involuntary Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed Sept. 27 by four Comcast affiliates and Comcast’s motion to name an interim trustee.

He ordered the Astros to hold weekly conference calls with Comcast and the Rockets and set a Nov. 13 status hearing. The order remains in place until another hearing on Dec. 12.

The agreement was hammered together during several closed-door court sessions and conferences in federal courthouse meeting rooms involving the two dozen or so attorneys taking part in the two-day hearing.

“I don’t know that I could do this without the consent (of the feuding parties),” Judge Isgur said. Attorneys for all three partners agreed, and Rockets attorney Alan Gover thanked Isgur for “the court’s activism.”

One key element of the order absolves from liability any third party “that undertakes negotiations or investigations at the Astros’ request.” The Astros are absolved of liability in similar fashion.

It also leaves in place the network’s carriage agreement with Comcast, the largest cable carrier in Houston, which will be a critical asset to bidders.

Isgur’s order was prompted by Crane’s complaints that Comcast/NBC Sports Group has not given the Astros a business plan that allows the network to be profitable.

Comcast witnesses countered that Crane blocked a proposed carriage agreement with DirecTV this spring that they said would have a “cascading” effect in lining up other carriers. Internal reports, however, said that even with DirecTV on board, CSN Houston would require several years to become profitable.

The Astros own 46 percent of Houston Regional Sports Network, compared to 32 percent for the Rockets and 22 percent for Comcast, which provided a $100 million loan to launch the network Oct. 1, 2012. Comcast, in documents filed with the court, said it was interested in buying the entire network if it becomes available and is committed to staying in business in Houston.

Edited by Snickering Hound, 30 October 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#323 OFFLINE   SChonson

SChonson

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

I give up.

#324 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

CSN Houston Looks for 45-Day Freeview Assist

http://www.multichan...w-assist/146425

#325 OFFLINE   SChonson

SChonson

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

LOL won't happen.

#326 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

Nope.

http://blog.chron.co...ree-view-offer/

DirecTV refuses CSN Houston’s free view offer

A DirecTV spokesman said today the satellite service will not accept Comcast SportsNet Houston’s offer to air the channel free of charge through mid-December.

“We’d be happy to make the channel available to Rockets fans for the long term, not just 45 days, if CSN Houston would agree to offer the channel to those customers who want to pay for it, or make it more reasonable for all of our customers to receive,” a spokesman said.

“Showing the channel then taking it down after the free-trial period would only cause frustration for fans and do nothing to help us reach an agreement with the network’s owners.”

DirecTV is the first carrier to respond directly to CSN Houston’s offer to allow all carriers access to the Rockets-Astros-Comcast-owned channel through Dec. 15, a period that includes more than 20 Rockets games.

CSN Houston made a similar offer last spring during Astros season, but most satellite, telco and cable providers allowed the free view to expire without even commenting on whether they would accept the offer.

Suddenlink said it was willing to accept, but only if it could air the channel in the Houston area and not across CSN Houston’s five-state coverage area.

DirecTV’s statement about making CSN Houston available “to those customers who want to pay for it” means that it would be willing to offer the channel as part of a sports tier but not as part of its expanded basic service across Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas and New Mexico. Practically every regional sports network that shows major league baseball, basketball and hockey games is available in its home market on expanded basic, including DirecTV’s Root Sports channels in Denver, Pittsburgh and Seattle.

#327 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

Nope.

DirecTV’s statement about making CSN Houston available “to those customers who want to pay for it” means that it would be willing to offer the channel as part of a sports tier but not as part of its expanded basic service across Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas and New Mexico. Practically every regional sports network that shows major league baseball, basketball and hockey games is available in its home market on expanded basic, including DirecTV’s Root Sports channels in Denver, Pittsburgh and Seattle.

or directv wants in sports pack for the outer rings also directv had a deal ready to go and the Astros said no to it.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#328 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 997 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

Definition of insanity—doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

#329 OFFLINE   billybob069

billybob069

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

Someone help me understand the NBA blackout rules here.  I see others talking about how the NBATV games this preseason were blacked out....yet they were not for me, and as a matter of fact the 2 games this season that have been on the NBA League Pass so far this year have not been blacked out either.  I live in the Richmond/Rosenberg area.  Now that I think about it, all the games on NBATV last year were not blacked out either.  Is this because I am not directly in Houston, or am I just getting something I am not supposed to?

#330 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

"Those customers who want pay for it" is the same line of garbage D* has used to keep the PAC12 Net off of its system. I thought I heard Joe Buck say during the World Series that D* was still the leader in Sports programming. Not!!

#331 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

"Those customers who want pay for it" is the same line of garbage D* has used to keep the PAC12 Net off of its system. I thought I heard Joe Buck say during the World Series that D* was still the leader in Sports programming. Not!!

Solely your opinion. I hope that DTV holds the line on money hungry sports RSN's such as pac12 and Comcrap Sports Houston. I miss not watching the Rockets but somebody has to hold the line on increasing costs. As far as the pac12, if they have a decent match up, it'll show up on ESPN after I'm asleep; other than that, I'm not too interested in west coast games.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#332 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

D* is using the CSN Houston feed for the Rockets @ Trail Blazers game tonight. Channel 762-1 if you are out of market for both teams (since CSN-NW & Houston are not on D* in market) and subscribe to LP.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#333 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:51 AM

I believe they have to supply the feed because if the nba rules. But like you said that only works for out if market league pass subs.

#334 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

The saga continues. Crane now suing Drayton for over selling the network.

Crane should have done his due diligence. Maybe I'll get lucky and get on the jury.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#335 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

However, a statement filed in federal bankruptcy court where the CSN Houston team is currently embroiled in an involuntary bankruptcy proceedings reveals just what the lawsuit is about.

Seems the Astros are suing Drayton McLane for "causes of action for fraud as to McLane Champions, LLC and R. Drayton McLane Jr.; negligent misrepresentation as to all Defendants; breach of contract anddeclaratory judgment as to McLane Champions, LLC; and civil conspiracy as to all Defendants,relating to and in connection with the purchase of Houston McLane Company, LLC and itsequity interests by Jim Crane and the current ownership group in 2011."

Ho. Lee. Crap.

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2013/11/21/5132180/jim-crane-astros-suing-drayton-mclane-over-csn-houston-deal

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#336 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

Today's news, http://www.chron.com...mid-5205441.php

A federal judge Tuesday placed the parent company of Comcast SportsNet Houston under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, keeping the regional sports network on the air in hopes that reorganization can break the 16-month-old logjam that has limited TV exposure for the Astros and Rockets.

The ruling, however, offers no immediate relief to viewers who do not have access to the channel as the NBA season nears the All-Star break and the Astros are less than a month away from their first exhibition game of 2014.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Marvin Isgur's order came at the conclusion of a daylong hearing during which attorneys for Comcast and the Rockets asked that the case remain under bankruptcy court jurisdiction and the Astros asked that it be dismissed.

Dismissal would have resulted in the almost certain demise of the 16-month-old network owned by the Astros, Rockets and Comcast through a limited partnership known as Houston Regional Sports Network. Isgur's order, however, assures that it will remain in operation while the three network partners work on a reorganization plan.

CSN Houston has been unable to arrange deals with such major carriers as DirecTV, Dish Network, AT&T U-verse and Suddenlink and is available in no more than 40 percent of the area's 2.2 million TV households. With exposure limited to only the local Comcast cable system and a few smaller systems, viewership has plummeted for Astros and Rockets games. An Astros game last September, in fact, registered zero viewers, according to the Nielsen Co.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#337 OFFLINE   SChonson

SChonson

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot...ick-the-can.jpg

#338 OFFLINE   freerein100

freerein100

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

The latest news is apparently Comcast wants nothing to do with the channel anymore.

#339 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

The latest news is apparently Comcast wants nothing to do with the channel anymore.

now twc dodgers needs to die as well.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#340 OFFLINE   FriscoJohnny

FriscoJohnny

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

Today's news, http://www.chron.com...mid-5205441.php

So is this the beginning of the end? Has the proliferation of RSNs in expanded basic peaked?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

spam firewall