Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Comcast SportsNet Houston

• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

The latest news is apparently Comcast wants nothing to do with the channel anymore.

http://blog.chron.co...bankruptcy-bid/

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#342 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

So is this the beginning of the end? Has the proliferation of RSNs in expanded basic peaked?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

maybe the ones the have MLB teams with big team zones.

I think that the MLB cutting team zones down may save dish and direct a lot.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#343 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,807 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

I wonder if Fox or Root sports could make a bid for this?

#344 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

So help me to understand this.  Comcast, the Astros and the Rockets decide to create a sports network that was to benefit the sports teams AND Comcast.  Comcast isn't happy that things aren't going their way and the ratings suck (because, BTW, they don't allow fair access of the signal to satellite and other cable providers).  Now, they throw a hissy fit, and say they won't follow through and bail their own created network out of bankruptcy, when their company has plenty money to correct this mistake. 

I'm not a huge Astros' fan, although their Appy League team is in my town (Greeneville, TN).  If I was an Astros' fan, however, I would be FURIOUS with Comcrap for their stunts.  Comcrap created a sports network in Houston to hinder competition, refused to fairly negotiate carriage agreements with other service providers, and then wondered why their network fails.  To top it off, they just bail out and leave Houston fans out to dry, claiming bankruptcy, when in reality it's just Comcrap not wanting to find a solution for the carriage issues and protect their interest in the Houston market because their product sucks and they are afraid of competition.

Comcrap is the worst corporation in America today bar none.  If I was the Astros and the Rockets, I would sue Comcrap for billions and give Comcrap a TRUE reason to file for bankruptcy!

Edited by George_T, 20 March 2014 - 07:56 AM.

#345 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,703 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

So help me to understand this.  Comcast, the Astros and the Rockets decide to create a sports network that was to benefit the sports teams AND Comcast.  Comcast isn't happy that things aren't going their way and the ratings suck (because, BTW, they don't allow fair access of the signal to satellite and other cable providers).  Now, they throw a hissy fit, and say they won't follow through and bail their own created network out of bankruptcy, when their company has plenty money to correct this mistake. 

To be fair to Comcast, it was the Astros that blocked several potential deals for carriage. It is a long sordid story. Comcast is not blameless but they are not the biggest villain in this story, either.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#346 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

To be fair to Comcast, it was the Astros that blocked several potential deals for carriage. It is a long sordid story. Comcast is not blameless but they are not the biggest villain in this story, either.

....but it has a happy ending for sports fans and Directv. RSNs with slim programming at ridiculous prices took a hit.

• FriscoJohnny likes this

#347 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

I would agree, the Astros and Rockets aren't innocent either.  I just get frustrated that the pattern with Comcrap is that they are so restrictive on their programming.  Part of the business, I understand, but in the long run, Comcrap's rigidity hurts the consumer.

#348 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,703 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

I would agree, the Astros and Rockets aren't innocent either.  I just get frustrated that the pattern with Comcrap is that they are so restrictive on their programming.  Part of the business, I understand, but in the long run, Comcrap's rigidity hurts the consumer.

Agree. I think it hurts them, too, but they don't think so.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#349 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,703 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

....but it has a happy ending for sports fans and Directv. RSNs with slim programming at ridiculous prices took a hit.

Not so sure. I think the deals were reasonable and it wasn't like they were creating a single team RSN. They were taking over a market. A signal does get sent but everyone (except the Astros) would have been happy with a reasonable price.

#350 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,244 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

So help me to understand this. Comcast, the Astros and the Rockets decide to create a sports network that was to benefit the sports teams AND Comcast. Comcast isn't happy that things aren't going their way and the ratings suck (because, BTW, they don't allow fair access of the signal to satellite and other cable providers). Now, they throw a hissy fit, and say they won't follow through and bail their own created network out of bankruptcy, when their company has plenty money to correct this mistake.

I'm not a huge Astros' fan, although their Appy League team is in my town (Greeneville, TN). If I was an Astros' fan, however, I would be FURIOUS with Comcrap for their stunts. Comcrap created a sports network in Houston to hinder competition, refused to fairly negotiate carriage agreements with other service providers, and then wondered why their network fails. To top it off, they just bail out and leave Houston fans out to dry, claiming bankruptcy, when in reality it's just Comcrap not wanting to find a solution for the carriage issues and protect their interest in the Houston market because their product sucks and they are afraid of competition.

Comcrap is the worst corporation in America today bar none. If I was the Astros and the Rockets, I would sue Comcrap for billions and give Comcrap a TRUE reason to file for bankruptcy!

As much as I don't like comcast I actually fully agree with them on this one. If they bail the channel out then the astro owner who really created this mess in the first place will win and get his enourmous amount I money he doesn't deserve. Concast says screw you he eats it. And they don't have to partner with an idiot. This is one case where Comcast needed to have this channel everywhere and we know they agreed to terms as well as the rockets with DIRECTV at the very least and yet it was the Astros that said no. And DIRECTV is playing hardball these days so they all obviously greed to something that at least wasn't ridiculous.

For one of the very few times IMHO, just like a broken old school clock being right twice a day, comcast had to get something right eventually and maybe this is it.

#351 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:15 AM

Hopefully the Astros will get their comeuppance as well, and whatever deal they end up with in the future pays them less than what they could have got if they hadn't vetoed the deal Comcast and the Rockets were willing to agree to. A few more blow ups like this and what most of us hope happens to the Dodgers channel will teach sports rights owners that there's going to be a limit to how greedy they can be.

I'm still surprised at how reasonable the reported asking price for the SEC Network is. I think they probably could have asked for at least twice as much in region, and ended up making more even if they didn't get everyone to carry them. I only hope what BTN asks isn't too crazy when that contract comes up for renewal next year or things could get ugly here in Big Ten country. Unfortunately I think it is probably easier to be greedy when renewing a channel versus starting a channel, because they know customers will complain way louder if you take away what they have versus not giving them what they never had.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#352 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

Except it wasn't the current owner Jim Crane who did the CSN deal, It was the old Astros owner Drayton McLane who got paid $93 million and ran off cackling into the night.

I'm not a Jim Crane fan by any means but it was McLane who kicked this organization in the groin on every level.

#353 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,244 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

Yes but he also did the same thing and obviously refused to cut a deal that the others wanted otherwise this channel would have been picked up by now. He's still as much to blame as he's the one that's been fighting like crazy against the bankruptcy.

#354 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

Yes but he also did the same thing and obviously refused to cut a deal that the others wanted otherwise this channel would have been picked up by now. He's still as much to blame as he's the one that's been fighting like crazy against the bankruptcy.

I was going to say.....To my understanding, Comcast and the Rockets had a carriage agreement which DTV would have agreed to BUT it was Jim Crane and the Astros who thought their ****** team was worth more money and wouldn't go along with the deal and therefore ruined any deals with DTV, DishNet and the other cable companies

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#355 ONLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

I was going to say.....To my understanding, Comcast and the Rockets had a carriage agreement which DTV would have agreed to BUT it was Jim Crane and the Astros who thought their ****** team was worth more money and wouldn't go along with the deal and therefore ruined any deals with DTV, DishNet and the other cable companies

That was the story published locally over a year ago. Jim Crane and the Astros have been the thorn in the foot.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#356 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Quite firmly in the category of, "You Just Can't Make This Stuff Up," is the following:

EnTouch, one of a handful of smaller cable and broadband service providers in the Houston area that have carried Comcast SportsNet Houston since its fall 2012 launch, says the network isn’t worth the price it charges distributors and has asked a federal bankruptcy judge for permission to drop it.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#357 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,244 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:54 AM

I love it!

#358 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:14 PM

Hopefully the Astros will get their comeuppance as well, and whatever deal they end up with in the future pays them less than what they could have got if they hadn't vetoed the deal Comcast and the Rockets were willing to agree to. A few more blow ups like this and what most of us hope happens to the Dodgers channel will teach sports rights owners that there's going to be a limit to how greedy they can be.

I'm still surprised at how reasonable the reported asking price for the SEC Network is. I think they probably could have asked for at least twice as much in region, and ended up making more even if they didn't get everyone to carry them. I only hope what BTN asks isn't too crazy when that contract comes up for renewal next year or things could get ugly here in Big Ten country. Unfortunately I think it is probably easier to be greedy when renewing a channel versus starting a channel, because they know customers will complain way louder if you take away what they have versus not giving them what they never had.

Will DTV try to make BTN basic in market and sports pack out of market? At least then maybe they can be like dish and have pac 12 as well.  Pac12 likey wants to be the same as BTN and on dish that is basic in market and sports pack out of it.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#359 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

Will DTV try to make BTN basic in market and sports pack out of market? At least then maybe they can be like dish and have pac 12 as well.  Pac12 likey wants to be the same as BTN and on dish that is basic in market and sports pack out of it.

I doubt BTN would go for it since it is now basic everywhere, but I suppose it all depends on how the numbers work out and what other providers do.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#360 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

Have the distinct feeling that things are finally going to get interesting (in a good way) very soon...

Report: AT&T to make bid for CSN Houston:

One day before a bankruptcy court hearing that could provide details regarding the future of Comcast SportsNet Houston, speculation increased today that AT&T is the most likely candidate to submit a bid for the bankrupt Astros-Rockets-Comcast television partnership...AT&T does not operate a regional sports network but is in the process of acquiring DirecTV, which owns or operates RSNs in Seattle, Pittsburgh and Denver under the Root Sports banner.

Edited by TXD16, 06 August 2014 - 08:00 PM.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

Protected By... spam firewall...And...