Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Comcast SportsNet Houston

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

Astros own 46%, Rockets 31% and Comcast 23%.

Astros and Rockets need that TV revenue since they have lousy teams and have a hard time filling seats.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

The Astros and Rangers share a claim to all of Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas and a small part of New Mexico. The goal of CSN-H is to be on every system in the state and region, not just Comcast systems around Houston. It will have to offer the channel to DirecTV at the same price it offers it to the myriad of other cable companies across the region.

The delay, if you follow DirecTV's history, is that it is not going to pick up something just for the NBA. It will wait until baseball returns next April and pick up the channel, as it has in the past.

#23 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

I would guess that if Directv addes CSN Houston, it will probably get channel number 678.

678 and 678-1 have already been rebranded as FOX Sports New Orleans in the guide.

#24 OFFLINE   triplela

triplela

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

For those of you who may not have noticed, since the demise of FS Houston (channels 678 and 678-1), DIRECTV has enabled FS Oklahoma (channels 679 and 679-1) for those of us who reside in the Houston/FSSW DMA, and, possibly, beyond.

Although I am still very much in anticipation of the addition of CSN Houston to the DIRECTV lineup, as a former transplanted Okie (and former Norman resident), I like the gesture.

Are you getting the FS Oklahoma channel full time or just for games, similart to how FS Houston was? I noticed last night, as Say What posted above, that 678 and 678-1 are now labeled Fox Sports New Orleans and was wondering what we could expect as far as how often this channel will be live. I'm assuming it will be "game only" like FS Houston was, but I guess we won't know for sure until 10/31 when the channel launches.

#25 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Are you getting the FS Oklahoma channel full time or just for games, similart to how FS Houston was? I noticed last night, as Say What posted above, that 678 and 678-1 are now labeled Fox Sports New Orleans and was wondering what we could expect as far as how often this channel will be live. I'm assuming it will be "game only" like FS Houston was, but I guess we won't know for sure until 10/31 when the channel launches.

It will be game only as FS Houston was.
Go Big Red!!!

#26 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

Royce White has a diagnosed, bone-fide anxiety disorder, which, if you have been exposed to it either personally, via a family member, or via a friend, you would know can be absolutely debilitating. No one chooses to be affected by such an affliction.

Just out of curiosity, do you mock cancer patients, too?

My heart goes out to Mr. White and anyone else with any G.A.D.

I was just wondering how on Earth Houston can justify a high pick on a person that will contribute so little, in NOT injured, because of his disorder. I know this may take several years to remedy (why didn`t Iowa State help Mr. White during his stay). That 2-3 years is probably a large percent of his NBA career not he is not capable of the travel.

It`s Houston`s thinking, not Mr. White.

#27 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

My heart goes out to Mr. White and anyone else with any G.A.D.

I was just wondering how on Earth Houston can justify a high pick on a person that will contribute so little, in NOT injured, because of his disorder. I know this may take several years to remedy (why didn`t Iowa State help Mr. White during his stay). That 2-3 years is probably a large percent of his NBA career not he is not capable of the travel.

It`s Houston`s thinking, not Mr. White.

This is getting way off topic, but I believe Iowa State DID help Mr. White during his stay. Also, he did manage to make it to all the Iowa State games. While he prefers not to fly if there is an alternative, as far as I know, the only time he did not fly when he was scheduled to was when he cancelled his recruiting trip to Kentucky when he was in the process of transferring from Minnesota. As a result, he ended up at Iowa State instead of Kentucky. In the long run, that was probably better for his career, because as good as he is, he would not have played as many minutes at Kentucky as he did at Iowa State. It is a gamble for Houston, but even if he only plays at home, Dallas, Oklahoma City, and New Orleans (and I do not think that will happen), he will be an asset to the team.

#28 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Regardless, the addition and/or removal of a player from a team, does not increase or decrease the value of the TV deal. You can't gamble your numbers on whether a player will play or not, and you can't use it as a reason for carriage. Players get injured, players get suspended, players get traded within their contract time if they underperform, etc, etc....

A TV deal is usually struck for 3-5 years, and more often than not (these deals last 10 years or more. The whole team will have changed by then.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#29 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

679 and 679-1 are both part-time, with 679 carrying games plus limited, mostly OU programing, and -1 being games-only.

I noticed the 678 and 678-1 (re)additions, too. Maybe the wait for CSN Houston won't be so bad after all. ;)

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#30 OFFLINE   triplela

triplela

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

I read on another forum, Clutch Fans, I think, that in similar situations, Directv didn't add the channel for just one team and waited till the second team in the city was starting or close to starting. If that is the case, then CSN Houston may not be added till next spring when the Astros start up. For Rockets' fans, I hope I'm wrong. As a resident in the New Orleans area, we went 10 years without being able to watch Hornets games on Directv thanks to their deal with Cox. Thankfully, the Hornets are now signed with Fox and we have Fox Sports New Orleans and I can finally watch Hornets games on my TV. For myself, I just hope it gets settled for baseball season so I can watch the Astros.

#31 OFFLINE   bulldogtx

bulldogtx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

The math isn't great when you consider Comcast reportedly has 800,000 subscribers in the Houston area and DirecTV has just shy of 20 million nationwide. On the other hand, you would think that since the teams are the majority owner that there would be incentive to have the largest possible TV audience (however, these are usually long term deals and the TV network is likely motivated to hold out as long as possible if they think they can get more money rather than caving quickly and settling for less on a long term deal). I'm just hopeful that once the regular NBA season has started that there will be enough motivation to get deals done.

#32 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

With the start of the NBA season imminent (by the way, in case you haven't heard, the Rockets just picked up James Harden), I placed a call to DIRECTV to see what progress had been made with regard to the addition of CSN Houston. Not too surprisingly, the first CSR with whom I spoke hadn't a clue as to what I was referring, so I asked to be transferred, which, of course, resulted in an immediate disconnect (big surprise).

Anyway, I redialed, and got to a retention CSR, who, as usual, listened intently, researched, and informed me that, in essence, it ain't lookin' good for DIRECTV Rockets fans this season. In other words, "Too bad, so sad."

Of course, on any contact with DIRECTV I always inquire as to available credits and promotions, so I did come out of the call with a bunch of additional credits and free channels (I'm actually impressed that they found something else to offer as I already have my second round of 24-month HD credit, another 24-month $20.00 "courtesy" credit, and a 12-month MRV credit), but what I really want is CSN Houston!

In any event, given the additional amount of credits and free programming provided, I am of the opinion that A) a near-term addition of CSN Houston to the DIRECTV lineup is not likely, and B) DIRECTV continues to do just enough to keep me, and others of my ilk, happy, but not ecstatic. ;)

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#33 OFFLINE   Visman

Visman

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

I noticed in the guide that there are 2 feeds of the Rockets and Pistons game tonight, I suppose that one feed is The Rockets feed and the other is the Pistons feed. My question is will I be able to watch the Rockets feed, they are playing on Comcast Sportsnet Houston or will I be blackout on both feeds? I do subscribe to NBA League Pass and live in the Houston area.

#34 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

We've dealt with this in Portland for years....Comcast and the Blazers.....5 years later we're still waiting....so don't hold your breath, it's not happening.

With the start of the NBA season imminent (by the way, in case you haven't heard, the Rockets just picked up James Harden), I placed a call to DIRECTV to see what progress had been made with regard to the addition of CSN Houston. Not too surprisingly, the first CSR with whom I spoke hadn't a clue as to what I was referring, so I asked to be transferred, which, of course, resulted in an immediate disconnect (big surprise).

Anyway, I redialed, and got to a retention CSR, who, as usual, listened intently, researched, and informed me that, in essence, it ain't lookin' good for DIRECTV Rockets fans this season. In other words, "Too bad, so sad."

Of course, on any contact with DIRECTV I always inquire as to available credits and promotions, so I did come out of the call with a bunch of additional credits and free channels (I'm actually impressed that they found something else to offer as I already have my second round of 24-month HD credit, another 24-month $20.00 "courtesy" credit, and a 12-month MRV credit), but what I really want is CSN Houston!

In any event, given the additional amount of credits and free programming provided, I am of the opinion that A) a near-term addition of CSN Houston to the DIRECTV lineup is not likely, and B) DIRECTV continues to do just enough to keep me, and others of my ilk, happy, but not ecstatic. ;)

#35 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

I noticed in the guide that there are 2 feeds of the Rockets and Pistons game tonight, I suppose that one feed is The Rockets feed and the other is the Pistons feed. My question is will I be able to watch the Rockets feed, they are playing on Comcast Sportsnet Houston or will I be blackout on both feeds? I do subscribe to NBA League Pass and live in the Houston area.

Short of a carriage agreement with CSN SN Houston, you will be blacked out on both feeds even if you subscribe to LP, sorry.

But feel your pain though, Lakers visit Portland tonight on TWC SN and we're blacked out on all DIRECTV feeds here as well. :(

#36 OFFLINE   Visman

Visman

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

Short of a carriage agreement with CSN SN Houston, you will be blacked out on both feeds even if you subscribe to LP, sorry.

But feel your pain though, Lakers visit Portland tonight on TWC SN and we're blacked out on all DIRECTV feeds here as well. :(

Wlll if that is the case I will cancel NBA League Pass :confused::nono:

#37 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

Wlll if that is the case I will cancel NBA League Pass :confused::nono:

It's only blacked out for Los Angeles people. If you don't live in Los Angeles, you will get it on league pass.

#38 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

It's only blacked out for Los Angeles people. If you don't live in Los Angeles, you will get it on league pass.

He was reacting to Rockets blackout and Lakers game is on nba channel tonight.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#39 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

He was reacting to Rockets blackout and Lakers game is on nba channel tonight.

Ah. Well same applys for him and the rockets as it does me and Lakers. Sucks! :)

#40 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Tick-tock, tick-tock

spam firewall