Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Comcast SportsNet Houston

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   kenkraly2004

kenkraly2004

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

Stop being cheap??? Comments like that annoy me.

If those comments annoy you that's fine. Every is in titled to their opinion. I just want to directv to make a deal soon to bring CSN Houston to the air on directv. So don't get all bent out of shape before making those comments.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

If those comments annoy you that's fine. Every is in titled to their opinion. I just want to directv to make a deal soon to bring CSN Houston to the air on directv. So don't get all bent out of shape before making those comments.

Appreciate your support, but you don't live anywhere near the Houston DMA. Exactly how does this affect you?

#63 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Appreciate your support, but you don't live anywhere near the Houston DMA. Exactly how does this affect you?

Are you saying people outside the Houston DMA aren't entitled to an opinion regarding local RSN's like this Houston channel and the TWC channels in Los Angeles?

Remember: People with NBA League Pass or MLB Extra Innings (next year) that are a fan of a Houston team but do not live in the Houston area.... might be interested in the HOME feed of the team, instead of having to always watch the AWAY feed because DirecTV doesn't carry this channel.

Additionally: Although RSN's are local, in the long run ALL expenses are carried by ALL customers. It is much more acceptable to raise the price for all 20 million DirecTV customers by e.g. $0.50, and pay for RSN's in Houston, Los Angeles, New Orleans, etc, where a $5 increase in the DMA itself to pay for the channel might not fall all that well with local DirecTV customers. In any case, if DirecTV decides to add a channel, everyone pays a little bit. This is compounded by those with Sports Pack. Certain markets with expensive (or a lot of) RSN's might be charged a "regional sports fee" of some kind.... but in the end, any channel added will affect the bill of all customers somehow, someway.

This goes for everything: Customers in Montana, Mississippi or Maine are helping to pay for expensive gas prices (for DirecTV vans) in California, New York, or Florida. Your not getting a discount because you live in a cheap place with cheap/few locals and cheap gas.

Edited by maartena, 07 November 2012 - 04:12 PM.

[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#64 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Remember: People with NBA League Pass or MLB Extra Innings (next year) that are a fan of a Houston team but do not live in the Houston area.... might be interested in the HOME feed of the team, instead of having to always watch the AWAY feed because DirecTV doesn't carry this channel.

Forget CSN or Directv. Statements like this one tell me how spoiled we have become as sports fans. Not so long ago, we were lucky to get ANY games of out of market teams. Then we were lucky to get things like EI with many GAMES missing. Now, we almost demand and expect our preferred feed of each and every game.

If you get to watch the game, be satisfied.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#65 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Forget CSN or Directv. Statements like this one tell me how spoiled we have become as sports fans. Not so long ago, we were lucky to get ANY games of out of market teams. Then we were lucky to get things like EI with many GAMES missing. Now, we almost demand and expect our preferred feed of each and every game.

If you get to watch the game, be satisfied.

You can get the CSN rockets feed on LP out of market. I'm watching it right now.

#66 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

And the war of the words continues.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#67 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:46 AM

Alright now that LA got its channel - what about us?!?!?

#68 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

Alright now that LA got its channel - what about us?!?!?

Portland still does not have it and why would you expect Houston to be any different. LA has about 1.7M Directv subs, about 10% of the overall footprint for Directv Reports suggest quite a few are leaving, making a big dent in Directv's overall viewership. If Houston has the same high percentage numbers then it will sway Directv. If not, join us in Portland w/o the NBA. It's that simple....

#69 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

Portland still does not have it and why would you expect Houston to be any different. LA has about 1.7M Directv subs, about 10% of the overall footprint for Directv Reports suggest quite a few are leaving, making a big dent in Directv's overall viewership. If Houston has the same high percentage numbers then it will sway Directv. If not, join us in Portland w/o the NBA. It's that simple....

No offense but here are a few things to consider.

1) Houston is the 5th largest Metro area... Portand is 23rd. To put this in context - Houston is nearly 3x the size of Portland.

2) Many Comcast SportsNet channels are actually already on Directv. Chicago, California, Bay Area, SNY. What does CSN Houston channels have in common with these channels? The fact that Comcast doesn't own them entirely and splits ownership with the sports teams they serve - just like CSN Houston. Northwest and Philly are owned by Comcast entirely, and I believe that's why they aren't on Directv.

3) CSN Houston features both the Astros and the Rockets. I'm sure you don't know anything about the way the Texas market works, but the entire state of Texas is the market for both the Astros and the Rangers. It's codified into law. If you are in El Paso, Laredo, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas - wherever - you are eligible to get the Astros feed (same thing with the Rangers too). So it's not just about penetration in Houston... It's about penetration statewide... I'm pretty sure a state of 26M people is on Directv's radar in terms of footprint. Certainly more so than a state of 3.8M.

Again no offense... You asked why Houston is different than Portland. I'm just answering your question. Please don't take any of my comments as an attack on Portland or Oregon. It's a lovely city, and Oregon is a lovely state.

Edited by tulanejosh, 16 November 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#70 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Reports can be wrong. My understanding is that churn in LA was lower than expected.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#71 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

1) Houston is the 5th largest Metro area... Portand is 23rd. To put this in context - Houston is nearly 3x the size of Portland.

2) Many Comcast SportsNet channels are actually already on Directv. Mid-Atlantic, Chicago, California, Bay Area, SNY. What does CSN channels have in common with these channels? The fact that Comcast doesn't own them entirely and splits ownership with the sports teams they serve - just like CSN Houston. Northwest and Philly are owned by Comcast entirely, and I believe that's why they aren't on Directv.

3) CSN Houston features both the Astros and the Rockets. I'm sure you don't know anything about the way the Texas market works, but the entire state of Texas is the market for both the Astros and the Rangers. It's codified into law. If you are in El Paso, Laredo, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas - wherever - you are eligible to get the Astros feed (same thing with the Rangers too). So it's not just about penetration in Houston... It's about penetration statewide... I'm pretty sure a state of 26M people is on Directv's radar in terms of footprint. Certainly more so than a state of 3.8M.

Again no offense... You asked why Houston is different than Portland. I'm just answering your question. Please don't take any of my comments as an attack on Portland or Oregon. It's a lovely city, and Oregon is a lovely state.

Small correction. I don't know of any ownership deal between CSN mid Atlantic and the Wizards or Caps. CSN mid Atlantic is legacy. It was Home Team Sports when Comcast bought it and contracts were already in place.

#72 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Small correction. I don't know of any ownership deal between CSN mid Atlantic and the Wizards or Caps. CSN mid Atlantic is legacy. It was Home Team Sports when Comcast bought it and contracts were already in place.

Ah yes... you are correct.. But my point is still valid. Where CSN has carriage issues its with the channels that are 100% owned by Comcast and not the ones where they split ownership with the local sports teams. :)

#73 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Ah yes... you are correct.. But my point is still valid. Where CSN has carriage issues its with the channels that are 100% owned by Comcast and not the ones where they split ownership with the local sports teams. :)

Yes.

#74 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

yep....many more "non-watching" eyeballs to pay for then as well.

2) Many Comcast SportsNet channels are actually already on Directv. Chicago, California, Bay Area, SNY. What does CSN Houston channels have in common with these channels? The fact that Comcast doesn't own them entirely and splits ownership with the sports teams they serve - just like CSN Houston. Northwest and Philly are owned by Comcast entirely, and I believe that's why they aren't on Directv.

All of this Comcast channels have been on a long time, essentially legacies from the time when Directv (and Dish) were doing their best to lure customers. CSN Cal, CSN bay Area are former Fox outlets that were merged into Comcast. To my knowledge no new RSNs (besides the Lakers) have been added to Directv in over 6 or 7 years, except FSN San Diego - and that's likely because I understand Directv pulled off Prime Ticket at the same time from it's system for San Diego customers.

You are right I didn't know the whole situation with the whole state, etc. That's fine. I think that works backwards for you guys. The MORE distribution a channel has the MORE cost it has. Let's face it, a guy in Houston may be OK with paying more to watch the Rockets....but is a guy in Midland, Odessa, El Paso,etc. just as interested in seeing his bill go up?

#75 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

Tick-tock, tick-tock.

I view the Laker's agreement as a positive sign and one that indicates we are getting closer in Houston to a CSN agreement (Satelliteracer, feel free to correct me here if I'm wrong :lol:). If nothing else, it clearly demonstrates that both DIRECTV and TWC were willing to deal in good faith. The $64,000 question is, is Comcast as willing to deal in similar good faith?

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#76 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Reports can be wrong. My understanding is that churn in LA was lower than expected.

I doubt it. If the status quo was working and no one was leaving then why would you add the channel? After all this time, really think so? I do not.

While Directv did gain some customers last quarter we have no idea where they were gained at. 66K gained, probably most gained because of NFL Sunday Ticket. Now that window has passed and there is little upcoming to entice someone to Directv. Let's face it, having satellite is a hassle, plain and simple. But for sports we come and we accept. Directv offered, at one point, more sports than everyone else. Now that's just not true. NFL aside, they do not.

Some say Pac 12 Network is not designed for satellite and its hard to make it work according to plan. Ok, even if I accept that, that is yet another thing I give up by having Directv.

Here in Portland Directv refuses to carry CSN-NW - they say because of cost - but paying attention Root Sports (100% owned by Directv) charges more for less overall content available! So another knock on satellite.

Satellite is just not the same anymore. In order to really make it work you need to charge just a little less than cable - the hassle factor - or you need to offer more content to overcome the hassle factor.

#77 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

I doubt it. If the status quo was working and no one was leaving then why would you add the channel? After all this time, really think so? I do not.

While Directv did gain some customers last quarter we have no idea where they were gained at. 66K gained, probably most gained because of NFL Sunday Ticket. Now that window has passed and there is little upcoming to entice someone to Directv. Let's face it, having satellite is a hassle, plain and simple. But for sports we come and we accept. Directv offered, at one point, more sports than everyone else. Now that's just not true. NFL aside, they do not.

Some say Pac 12 Network is not designed for satellite and its hard to make it work according to plan. Ok, even if I accept that, that is yet another thing I give up by having Directv.

Here in Portland Directv refuses to carry CSN-NW - they say because of cost - but paying attention Root Sports (100% owned by Directv) charges more for less overall content available! So another knock on satellite.

Satellite is just not the same anymore. In order to really make it work you need to charge just a little less than cable - the hassle factor - or you need to offer more content to overcome the hassle factor.

Okay. I am dealing with something I was told as fact and you are dealing in conjecture.

CSN NW had more content than Root? Hahaha.

Keep claiming they are doomed. As they keep making money and increase their customer base through a recession.

Spin all you want. Your diatribe about Root has been proven wrong over and over again (the loss of a PAC 12 game a week makes it a parttime channel).

And your thought processes over what is worth what are weak. TWC is obviously worth more than some other channels and yet it is a "part time" channel by your definition with far less content than Root. But you criticized directv for not having it.

CSN is Comcast. It is not an accident that the vast majority of channels directv does not have are Comcast. But that fact does not fit your agenda.

#78 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

yep....many more "non-watching" eyeballs to pay for then as well.

All of this Comcast channels have been on a long time, essentially legacies from the time when Directv (and Dish) were doing their best to lure customers. CSN Cal, CSN bay Area are former Fox outlets that were merged into Comcast. To my knowledge no new RSNs (besides the Lakers) have been added to Directv in over 6 or 7 years, except FSN San Diego - and that's likely because I understand Directv pulled off Prime Ticket at the same time from it's system for San Diego customers.

You are right I didn't know the whole situation with the whole state, etc. That's fine. I think that works backwards for you guys. The MORE distribution a channel has the MORE cost it has. Let's face it, a guy in Houston may be OK with paying more to watch the Rockets....but is a guy in Midland, Odessa, El Paso,etc. just as interested in seeing his bill go up?

Eyeballs certainly helped LA gets its sports channel for one team. Im not sure that it would any different here.

This state is very... in love with itself. I guess that's a fair way to say it. Texas loves it some Texas, and it loves its teams. It's a state pride thing. I'm not saying its right or rational, I'm just calling a spade a spade. Ever been to West Texas? Some desolate country right there - sports is about all those guys have EVEN if its from Houston or Dallas. Yes - they care.

#79 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

To my knowledge no new RSNs (besides the Lakers) have been added to Directv in over 6 or 7 years, except FSN San Diego - and that's likely because I understand Directv pulled off Prime Ticket at the same time from it's system for San Diego customers.

Nice cherry picking of data. Basically there have not been many new RSNs since the mid 2000s when SNY and MASN were formed so your years are well chosen.

Please list these RSNs that directv has ignored.

#80 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 138 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

FSSD and Prime Ticket are mirrors of each other, with the exception of Padres broadcasts and perhaps the occasional SDSU or USD hoops broadcast. Clippers, Ducks, Chivas are seen on both channels. The Dodgers would be blacked out anyway in SD, hence the Padres. The argument that Prime Ticket was pulled for San Diego customers is a red herring, at best, because there is no need to present both channels for the SD DMA.

You are always going to lose your arguments on here because all you do is present conjecture and incorrect "facts." :nono2:

Edited by TJNash, 16 November 2012 - 06:52 PM.

spam firewall