Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Comcast SportsNet Houston

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

You are giving me advice on how to run a company? Really now. You know this from your low level tech job at a company? Seriously, that gives you the real understanding how it all works? Seriously?

There is no conspiracy. Comcast has its agenda and Directv has its agenda. It's Mike White of Directv complaining about all the sports channel costs, etc. and yet he's the one who owns directly several of them that charge rates in the same general range as the others, that have had increases over the last decade in the same general range as the others, and Mr. White is the guy complaining about sports channels needs to be moved to a specialty tier. He needs to walk the walk and talk the talk for that to happen.

Because frankly, I would prefer that model. The model we have was set up by the tv providers and the tv distributors. Consumers have asked for years for an alacarte-type choice.

And understand the context of the Blazers issue. First, the Blazers have not complained about the pricing. They've had fans upset with access to the channel the games are on. And they filed this notice at the time the Comcast was buying NBC.

But the thing is - the games are available to Directv customers - at the price listed. Other systems have picked it up, but not Directv. Directv can carry CSN Philadelphia if it pays the price.

I don't like the prices and I think they are way to high, but that is a separate issue. I don't like how the Blazers sold out its viewership for an upstart channel with access problems.

Comcast is not innocent in anything, and neither us Directv. The chief competitor for both is each other.

Again you have no clue about big companies.

Fox? You mean the company that has the totally conservative Fox News and the immensely liberal Fox TV network that takes open swipes at Fox News?

I give up. You have no idea how businesses are run and think everything is a conspiracy. Wonder why directv would have channels that repeat Root programming like college sports if they want everyone to watch Root only.

Everything to you is a conspiracy. Directv would love to have the blazers games n their system. That brings them customers. For the right price. Just like the laker games.

And all that matters is NOW. Deny CSN because of a deal made years ago? And yet CSN has been a problem for everyone after they got the Blazers.

I am not cherry picking anything. The Blazers themselves complained about CSN pricing. But, if course, it is all about eyeballs for Root on Thursday night in January. Riiiiight.

Amazing directv hasn't dumped altitude with your reasoning.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

My conjecture vs. facts?

You are the dude that jumped on the bandwagon about CSN-NW costing $4.04

But upon closer examination the $4.04 comes from CSN Washington (DC). I would hope that even a guy in somewhere Virgina knows that Washington DC is completely different from Washington state!!!!

Yes. I take forum posts as facts. Not articles in newspapers about small cable systems not affording CSN. Not articles in papers where the Blazers were upset with CSN pricing.

Yeah. I just take the word of forum posters.

Them you make up conspiracies that make no sense.

Guess I am supposed to only believe your conjecture rather than journalists with facts.

Why should directv's carry CSN NW anyway. It is a PARTTIME CHANNEL!

Hahahaha

#103 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

I view the Laker's agreement as a positive sign and one that indicates we are getting closer in Houston to a CSN agreement (Satelliteracer, feel free to correct me here if I'm wrong :lol:)...

At the risk of actually making a semi-on-topic response (and while quoting myself), quite obviously, since Satelliteracer offered no correction to the above, the addition of CSN Houston is imminent (or in DIRECTV parlance, "soon" ;))!

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#104 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

My conjecture vs. facts?

You are the dude that jumped on the bandwagon about CSN-NW costing $4.04

But upon closer examination the $4.04 comes from CSN Washington (DC). I would hope that even a guy in somewhere Virgina knows that Washington DC is completely different from Washington state!!!!

No, I didn't. I never entered into that particular piece if data.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#105 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

Gents, here's an early warning. I think you have all seen with your own eyes, you do not want me reading these sports threads... I tend to get cranky, fast.

Please take these one-on-one conversations to private message, and please don't be rude to each other.

"A word to the wise should be sufficient."
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#106 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

No, I didn't. I never entered into that particular piece if data.

These are your words, not mine when you commented on the prices....

That fits the stories about CSN milking cable systems. Those weren't made up.

#107 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

I didnt have time to read the thread,how much is houston asking for the channel? I heard directv paid about$3.50 per subscriber for the laker channel,surley houston should be able to get $2.50 or more?

#108 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

I didnt have time to read the thread,how much is houston asking for the channel? I heard directv paid about$3.50 per subscriber for the laker channel,surley houston should be able to get $2.50 or more?

http://blog.chron.co...n-fee-requests/

$3.40 according to this.

#109 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

http://blog.chron.co...n-fee-requests/

$3.40 according to this.

Just unreal how much they want per subscriber. Fox Sports Southwest only charges $2.88 and they showed Rangers, Astros, Mavs, Rockets, and Stars games last year. And Comcast wants $3.40 just for Rockets and Astros games? This is all getting so ridiculous.
Go Big Red!!!

#110 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

Just unreal how much they want per subscriber. Fox Sports Southwest only charges $2.88 and they showed Rangers, Astros, Mavs, Rockets, and Stars games last year. And Comcast wants $3.40 just for Rockets and Astros games? This is all getting so ridiculous.

It's all because the new entrant comes into the market and waves cash in front of the teams.....in order to pay its bills the new entrant has to charge higher rates than the last guy - because the last guy was operating under a contract where terms were signed 5 or more years ago!

It's not really the broadcaster per se, it's teams that want the cash!

#111 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

The $3.40 is for TWCSN, not CSN-Houston. We're not sure what CSN-Houston wants per subscriber. I don't think theres been anything announced yet.

The article cites $3.40 per subscriber: "The NBC Sports Group is seeking a reported $3.40 per subscriber per month for CSN Houston..." Whether that is valid or not, who knows.....but that's what the article cites as the demand for the channel.

#112 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

It's all because the new entrant comes into the market and waves cash in front of the teams.....in order to pay its bills the new entrant has to charge higher rates than the last guy - because the last guy was operating under a contract where terms were signed 5 or more years ago!

It's not really the broadcaster per se, it's teams that want the cash!

Too true.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#113 ONLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Directv and NBC/Universal are wrapping up a new distribution deal, and CSN Houston and G4 are expressly carved out:

http://www.latimes.c...0,2187970.story

#114 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Which leaves me to wonder about CSN Northwet.

Directv and NBC/Universal are wrapping up a new distribution deal, and CSN Houston and G4 are expressly carved out:

#115 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Since Comcast/NBC only owns 23% of Comcast Sportsnet Houston, I'm not sure if it could have been part of this deal anyway.

#116 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

g4 is dead and will re band real soon

now what about CSN Philly / TCN?

USN HD?

Chiller HD? not yet launched?

Style HD?

Weatherscan like what dish network has in few areas? / has been testing?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#117 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,817 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

G4 might return down the road depending on what they rebrand it to and if they actually invest in programming for it. Similar to how we lost Trio in 2005 (which originally was a US outlet for CBC programming until CBC sold it to Universal in 2000) and NBC Universal shut it down a year later and used its satellite slot to launch Sleuth (now Cloo), which DirecTV picked up.

I think The Weather Channel/Weatherscan are still negotiated seperately from the rest of NBC Universal, they don't even include them on their affiliate site or the media village site.

Universal Sports isn't on their affiliate and press site either, so that might be a seperate deal too since NBC is only a minority owner in the network.

The HD feeds for Chiller and Cloo never launched.

Hopefully we get more details when the deal is officially announced and if it includes TV Everywhere, extra VOD and HD rights. (In addition to Style HD, there's also an HD feed for Sprout)

#118 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Tick-tock, tick-tock.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#119 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

This is exactly why I wish Fox handled all RSN's. You never hear about FSN not being carried on a provider in the teams DMA. And it's always Comcast owned RSN's that have the most trouble. It's ridiculous and only the fans are the ones that miss out. $3.40 for this channel is way too high considering FS Southwest is over $1 cheaper if I recall and carries much more programming.
Go Big Red!!!

#120 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

As bad as it is for us Rocket and Astro fans, the CSNH Facebook page is at least providing some comedic relief. Seems CSNH can't make a post without the majority of the responses being complaints about the lack of the ability to actually watch the channel. My favorite has to be the comment left on the "1-on-1 with Mike Tyson" thread: "Tyson, will you please punch CSN Houston in the face?" :lol:

spam firewall