Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Comcast SportsNet Houston

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

http://blog.chron.co...s-rockets-game/

ESPN outdraws CSN Houston for Celtics-Rockets game

To the surprise of absolutely no one, ESPN’s broadcast of the Celtics-Rockets game on Friday night drew a bigger audience than Comcast SportsNet Houston’s broadcast of the same game.

Even when Astros and Rockets games are equally distributed, the national broadcast generally siphons off a good portion of the local audience. In a case such as this one, where CSN Houston is available in only 40 percent of the market, the gap can be considerable.

In this case, the game had a 0.97 rating on CSN Houston, averaging 21,563 households (one of CSNH’s better Rockets ratings, for the record) to 1.56 (34,576 households) on ESPN in Houston. That’s a combined of 2.53, making it easily the most-watched Rockets’ game of the year.

As year’s end approaches, there’s nothing new to report on carriage talks for CSN Houston, which is owned by the teams and by the NBC Sports Group, and DirecTV, Dish Network, AT&T U-verse or Suddenlink and other area cable systems that don’t carry the channel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

G4 might return down the road depending on what they rebrand it to and if they actually invest in programming for it. Similar to how we lost Trio in 2005 (which originally was a US outlet for CBC programming until CBC sold it to Universal in 2000) and NBC Universal shut it down a year later and used its satellite slot to launch Sleuth (now Cloo), which DirecTV picked up.

I think The Weather Channel/Weatherscan are still negotiated seperately from the rest of NBC Universal, they don't even include them on their affiliate site or the media village site.

Universal Sports isn't on their affiliate and press site either, so that might be a seperate deal too since NBC is only a minority owner in the network.

The HD feeds for Chiller and Cloo never launched.

Hopefully we get more details when the deal is officially announced and if it includes TV Everywhere, extra VOD and HD rights. (In addition to Style HD, there's also an HD feed for Sprout)

Chiller HD seems to be on this cable system but is it really there??

http://www.newport.c...channellistings
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#123 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

http://blogs.houston...ed_csn_deal.php

Sources: Astros Blocked a Potential Deal That Would Have Brought CSN Houston, Rockets Games to DirecTV

Excerpts...

According to sources with knowledge of the situation, the Houston Astros, who are part owners of Comcast SportsNet Houston along with the Houston Rockets and NBC, nixed an 11th-hour deal with DirecTV that could have put CSN Houston on the provider and delivered Rockets games to its subscribers at the beginning of the Rockets season. Additionally, it is believed that such a deal, had it been completed, with DirecTV would have almost certainly led to similar deals with U-Verse and Dish Network. Currently, CSN Houston only airs on Comcast and a few smaller providers which represent about 40 percent of the coverage area.

Without the approval of the Astros, who own 46 percent of the channel to the Rockets' 30 percent and NBC's 22 percent, no deals can be made. The Astros allegedly balked at negotiations between CSN the Rockets and DirecTV before a final deal could be struck because they believed they could hold out for a better price. While the Rockets have been broadcasting on CSN Houston since October, the Astros won't have games on the channel until the spring.

The Astros referred questions to Matt Hutchings, president and general manager of CSN Houston, who responded with the following statement via e-mail:

We have offered the network at what we feel is a fair market value, considering we have two pro teams (and confidentially will be announcing a third, the Dynamo, soon), local and regional collegiate and high school product, and daily news and sports talk shows. DIRECTV is valuing it at a different rate, which we believe is below FMV and we're in the process of negotiating and reaching a compromise that both organizations feel is fair and a good value. One large provider, Comcast, and four smaller providers believe the value is there and have signed on.

#124 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

http://blogs.houston...ed_csn_deal.php

Sources: Astros Blocked a Potential Deal That Would Have Brought CSN Houston, Rockets Games to DirecTV

Excerpts...

According to sources with knowledge of the situation, the Houston Astros, who are part owners of Comcast SportsNet Houston along with the Houston Rockets and NBC, nixed an 11th-hour deal with DirecTV that could have put CSN Houston on the provider and delivered Rockets games to its subscribers at the beginning of the Rockets season. Additionally, it is believed that such a deal, had it been completed, with DirecTV would have almost certainly led to similar deals with U-Verse and Dish Network. Currently, CSN Houston only airs on Comcast and a few smaller providers which represent about 40 percent of the coverage area.

Without the approval of the Astros, who own 46 percent of the channel to the Rockets' 30 percent and NBC's 22 percent, no deals can be made. The Astros allegedly balked at negotiations between CSN the Rockets and DirecTV before a final deal could be struck because they believed they could hold out for a better price. While the Rockets have been broadcasting on CSN Houston since October, the Astros won't have games on the channel until the spring.

The Astros referred questions to Matt Hutchings, president and general manager of CSN Houston, who responded with the following statement via e-mail:

We have offered the network at what we feel is a fair market value, considering we have two pro teams (and confidentially will be announcing a third, the Dynamo, soon), local and regional collegiate and high school product, and daily news and sports talk shows. DIRECTV is valuing it at a different rate, which we believe is below FMV and we're in the process of negotiating and reaching a compromise that both organizations feel is fair and a good value. One large provider, Comcast, and four smaller providers believe the value is there and have signed on.

at least the shows that the teams have the power with the most of the CSN channels.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#125 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

I suppose so long as all sides are talking, even if it's at, rather than with one another, it's a good thing...

Blah, blah, blah.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#126 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

As they see it, substandard teams need higher revenue to bring "titles" back to Houston.

Charge more for your season tickets if you need more revenue.

I don't want my bill to increase to subsidize their mistakes.

#127 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

I think this issue is with Comcast more than anything, that is why they don't carry CSN Philly either, as for Time Warner well that is where Directv main headquarters is so is no surprise for L.A plus the C.E.O of Time Warner used to work for Directv

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#128 OFFLINE   kenkraly2004

kenkraly2004

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

CSN Houston needs to just get a deal done ASAP and sign a deal with Directv my goodness. This has gone on far too long. A deal should of been made months ago. If I miss some Astros games during spring training or the season because CSN Houston does not have a deal with Directv the Astros fan base is not going to like this not being able to see their games on Directv and outside of Houston on MLB Extra Innings. All we ask CSN Houston is to just get a deal done with Directv. Is that too much to ask?

#129 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

CSN Houston needs to just get a deal done ASAP and sign a deal with Directv my goodness. This has gone on far too long. A deal should of been made months ago. If I miss some Astros games during spring training or the season because CSN Houston does not have a deal with Directv the Astros fan base is not going to like this not being able to see their games on Directv and outside of Houston on MLB Extra Innings. All we ask CSN Houston is to just get a deal done with Directv. Is that too much to ask?

Why does a deal have to be made? It will when it is in DirecTV's interests to do so.

#130 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

After back to back seasons with 100+ losses and the worst record in baseball and heading into a 3rd, I'm not sure how much of a fanbase the Astros have left to complain.

http://blog.chron.co...ution-progress/

Anyway, the latest news on CSN. About all they say is that the rumor of the Astros squashing a deal was bogus...Oh and that there still is no deal but they are talking.

#131 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Why does a deal have to be made? It will when it is in DirecTV's interests to do so.

fair enough, but important to call out how broadcast rights work in Texas. The entire state is in market for both the Rangers and Astros. Despite their losing streak of late, the Astros are extremely popular in a state that has 25MM official residents (and far more illegal). Missing out on Astro games would be akin to the impact that the Lakers were for their region. Yes, they'll make a deal when its in their best interest to do so, and its in their best interest not to let spring come around without a deal in place.

#132 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

fair enough, but important to call out how broadcast rights work in Texas. The entire state is in market for both the Rangers and Astros. Despite their losing streak of late, the Astros are extremely popular in a state that has 25MM official residents (and far more illegal). Missing out on Astro games would be akin to the impact that the Lakers were for their region. Yes, they'll make a deal when its in their best interest to do so, and its in their best interest not to let spring come around without a deal in place.

I'd imagine that the whole state deal also makes it more difficult to make a deal for a variety of reasons on both sides.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#133 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

I'd imagine that the whole state deal also makes it more difficult to make a deal for a variety of reasons on both sides.

It certainly adds viewers and $$$ to the price tag for sure.

#134 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Lakers channel covers parts of at least three states. This is about the same an in sure lock market vs extended market pricing is part of the equation.

#135 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Lakers channel covers parts of at least three states. This is about the same an in sure lock market vs extended market pricing is part of the equation.

And that was an easy deal?

Besides, the lakers channel covers that area because of consumer demand, not a state law.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#136 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

If you want to get technical about it the Astros market extends across several states as well. The home market for the team also includes Louisiana. Yes. California is a big state and the lakers are a popular team in it. But so is Texas. No need for you to trivialize.

#137 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

If you want to get technical about it the Astros market extends across several states as well. The home market for the team also includes Louisiana. Yes. California is a big state and the lakers are a popular team in it. But so is Texas. No need for you to trivialize.

I am not denying it. I am saying that they got the Lakers deal done pretty darn fast after the start of the season relatively speaking vs the Huston channel, and I have to think that part of the complexity is surely part of the issue, but I'm guessing price overall is the real key. We saw reports that out of main market pricing was an issue with the Lakers channel. Mere we are just hearing the price alone is the issue. That's all I'm saying.

Lord knows if the Dodgers end up with a new channel, I say DIRECTV should tell them to pound sand and not sign a deal. Its juts getting ridiculous how much they all want individually.

#138 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Astros President says a deal will be cut by opening day. Last paragraph of article.

Looks like they better since they are moving the radio to a station that can barely be received in West Houston.

http://www.chron.com...hp?t=4e4d003184

#139 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

http://blog.chron.co...ny-astros-fans/

Doesn't look like a resolution is coming anytime soon.

#140 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

We'll get plenty of baseball action watching the Rangers and Hometown Hero Lance Berkman on FSSW.

The Rockets are so-so (haven't missed them at all this season) and I'm not sure if the Astros have hit bottom yet. I'm glad that DTV is holding the line on Comcrap's outrageous pricing..

spam firewall