Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No More FOX Saturday MLB Blackouts in 2014

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

Teams absolutely do schedule the times of their home games, and on most Saturdays as Bwaldron said, there were no non - Fox games played in the Fox exclusive window.

FWIW, based on the 2012 season, Fox's exclusivity / blackouts meant we missed about 55 games, or a bit more than 2% of all games played.

Ahh, the times. I was only thinking of scheduling calendar dates.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

Any additional Saturday coverage is great, but I wish they would have added all the Fox regional games too.

Did I miss something? They did. They just said in the deal those games will no longer be blacked out on MLB EI. So by my understanding those 3 or 4 games a week (more when they were airing at 7pm in July) will now be available on MLB EI. Did I read it wrong?

#23 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

Any additional Saturday coverage is great, but I wish they would have added all the Fox regional games too.

While we can assume they are not included in any Extra Innings package, nothing in the press release says they cannot be. If Fox is giving up the exclusive window, they may be more amenable to putting them in EI.

We will just have to wait and see.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#24 OFFLINE   kevintheoman

kevintheoman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

Maximum of 1 (or 2 in NY, LA or Chicago) team out-of-market blackouts.

not intending to get too off topic here....BUT DAMN I HATE MLB'S BLACKOUT TERRITORIES.

In Vegas we're blacked out for Padres, Doggers, Angels, Giants, A's, and Diamondbacks. Six teams!

Similar situation for Iowa (White Sox, Cardinals, Twins, Cubs, Brewers, Royals) and Hawaii (A's, Mariners, Giants, Padres, Angels, Doggers)

#25 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Yeah,I have never understood Hawaii. What are they? Like 5K miles away from the nearest MLB city?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#26 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

not intending to get too off topic here....BUT DAMN I HATE MLB'S BLACKOUT TERRITORIES.

In Vegas we're blacked out for Padres, Doggers, Angels, Giants, A's, and Diamondbacks. Six teams!

Similar situation for Iowa (White Sox, Cardinals, Twins, Cubs, Brewers, Royals) and Hawaii (A's, Mariners, Giants, Padres, Angels, Doggers)

In Vegas, it works to your advantage if you don't want to sub to EI. You get 5 of the 6 teams with a normal sub and can add the DBacks with a sub to th e sports pack. Don't know how that works with Dish.

#27 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Did MLB negotiate the retirement of Joe Buck and Tim McCarver? If not, then I don't like the deal.
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#28 OFFLINE   ATLFAN48

ATLFAN48

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

I am assuming all Fox Saturday games will now be part of MLBEI, but you will have to watch the game aired in your local market on your Fox affiliate?

#29 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

I am assuming all Fox Saturday games will now be part of MLBEI, but you will have to watch the game aired in your local market on your Fox affiliate?

I'm assuming that will be a given on both counts.

#30 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,799 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Did MLB negotiate the retirement of Joe Buck and Tim McCarver? If not, then I don't like the deal.

I wish!
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#31 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 989 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

From the article:

FSMG also will double its number of regular season national windows on Saturdays from 26 to 52, with 12 of those windows exclusive to FOX and as many as 40 non-exclusive windows on another nationally distributed FOX channel.

I'm having trouble figuring this part out. Will FOX (proper) only have 12 Saturdays of baseball during the regular season? I assume (from the doubling of the number of windows) that FSMG will have two time slots per Saturday available to them, with one (sometimes both) of these time slots going to one of their cable TV outlets. Does that sound right?

#32 OFFLINE   kevintheoman

kevintheoman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

I assume as much.

For markets that have multiple "local" teams though, I assume you'll still have the chance to be blacked out because of territory rights (instead of timeslot rights). This year in fact there was a padres/diamondbacks game on fox as well as yankees/red sox. Fox in Las Vegas gave us yankees/red sox. I assume I'll still be blacked out of padres/diamondbacks even after this change.

#33 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

From the article:

I'm having trouble figuring this part out. Will FOX (proper) only have 12 Saturdays of baseball during the regular season? I assume (from the doubling of the number of windows) that FSMG will have two time slots per Saturday available to them, with one (sometimes both) of these time slots going to one of their cable TV outlets. Does that sound right?

Yeah that's how I read it.

12 Saturday's with National Fox exclusivity blocks. The less the better.

#34 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

For markets that have multiple "local" teams though, I assume you'll still have the chance to be blacked out because of territory rights (instead of timeslot rights). This year in fact there was a padres/diamondbacks game on fox as well as yankees/red sox. Fox in Las Vegas gave us yankees/red sox. I assume I'll still be blacked out of padres/diamondbacks even after this change.

I really doubt it, and I hope I'm right. I'm guessing the blackouts will all be based around your local DMA game, not team territories at all. If the game isn't on your local Fox network it should be in the clear on EI, just like ST.

#35 OFFLINE   kevintheoman

kevintheoman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

I really doubt it, and I hope I'm right. I'm guessing the blackouts will all be based around your local DMA game, not team territories at all. If the game isn't on your local Fox network it should be in the clear on EI, just like ST.

unfortunately, when there isn't a very crystal clear local DMA game, fox likes to show the "default national game". Which is how Las Vegas ends up in this situation. Las Vegas is blackout territory for BOTH the padres and diamondbacks (as well as 4 other teams), but fox broadcasts yankees/red sox anyways. It happened a handful of other times throughout the year, but this specific example stood out as being exceptionally ludicrous as BOTH teams in the matchup were "local" and it wasn't broadcast.

It's madness. Half of the problem is the fox affiliate showing the "wrong" game. The other half of the problem is MLB for having locations that are blacked out for 6 teams.

#36 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

NBC has NHL to deal with and there is overlap with NHL and MLB.

There won't be in MLB's 2013 season.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#37 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

FOX & MLB are about 10 years behind getting this deal correct. On Saturdays i listen to my team on the MLB at bat app that i have on my iphone. I listen to the radio broadcast and i get to listen to my teams local announcers. Before i had the iphone i listened to the games on mlb.com. I haven't watched FOX Saturday baseball in a long time because my area always has shown the Yankees or Red Sox games two teams i care nothing about.

spam firewall