Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Managing Recordings on Multiple DVRs

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dlambermont

dlambermont

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

Just added an HR34 to my existing HR20-700 and HR23-700 (and one H23). I see some of you have WAY more DVRs that that. Just wondering how you manage your recordings on multiple DVRs? It would be great to have a one-stop-shop for setting up/managing series recordings, viewing available disk space, etc. I'm guessing nothing like that exists?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

Just added an HR34 to my existing HR20-700 and HR23-700 (and one H23). I see some of you have WAY more DVRs that that. Just wondering how you manage your recordings on multiple DVRs? It would be great to have a one-stop-shop for setting up/managing series recordings, viewing available disk space, etc. I'm guessing nothing like that exists?

Unfortunately, not. You can remotely schedule (blindly) from a PC or mobile device, but to check or manage a DVR's To Do Lists, Histories, or Series Managers, you have to be physically sitting in front of that DVR.
/steve

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,326 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

One way to help is to organize boxes by network. Like one DVR for fox and abc, another for NBC and CBS etc. Same with cable channels.

But yeah, a unified todo list and series manager would be useful.

#4 OFFLINE   dlambermont

dlambermont

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Thanks. No magic way to do it then. The only strategy I've come up with so far is to keep "kid shows" on one DVR, daytime shows on a second, and primetime stuff (where conflicts are more likely) to the HR34.

I used to duplicate some recordings on two DVRs as a pseudo "backup" strategy. Got tired of seeing the dupes in the list view. That would be another nice feature - if there is a dupe, just show the one on the DVR you are viewing, hide the rest.

Wonder if there are (or could be) APIs to allow a unified management interface to be added to the iOS app? I have actually found setting up recordings from the iPad to be much easier than using the receiver and remote. Being able to see the series lists and todo lists from that app would be sweet.

#5 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

I have a spreadsheet, where I keep track of what programs are recording on which DVR at what times. I keep a printout in the remote caddy in the family room and check it before I add a new SL entry (and note it on the printout which I then use to update the file).

What can I say...I work with computers all day. ;)

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#6 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

I record the major networks on one, the other shows on the second, and any conflicts on the third.

#7 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,018 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

I have a spreadsheet, where I keep track of what programs are recording on which DVR at what times. I keep a printout in the remote caddy in the family room and check it before I add a new SL entry (and note it on the printout which I then use to update the file).

That is the only way I can keep up as well. A different tab in excel for each dvr.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

I just look at the paper every morning and pick a random HR to record whatever is new (at this time of the TV season), then I record the same program on a couple other random HRs. If there's a conflict, I just pick another HR.

I had logs, Excel spreadsheets, tried all kinds of things when I was using 12 VCRs and I got sick of that. We had racks full of recordings all over the house. The DVRs fixed all that. MRV fixed it even better.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,037 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

I commend those with innovative or organized ways to manage those reams of recordings.

It does pose a logical question thought...with that much content recorded....when the heck do you have time to actually view it all? :eek2::D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   kosh56

kosh56

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Ugh, they really need to address this. The day I have to work that hard to watch TV is the day I might as well move to online viewing and leave the DVRs behind.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Here's how I do it....

Pre-HR34:

HR21 #1 - FOX, CBS, Showtime
HR21 #2 - NBC, ABC, HBO
HR21 #3 - USA, TNT, Discovery, History, BBCA, Misc
HR21 #4 - Movies + OTA Backups
HR24 - NASCAR Races (Not Saved), Comedy Central, Animal Planet, XD, SyFy, BBCA

Post HR34:

HR34 - ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, SHO, HBO, MAX, BBCA, History
HR24 - COM, Animal Planet, XD, SyFy
HR21 #1 - USA, TNT, Discovery, Misc
HR21 #2 - NASCAR Races (All saved)
HR21 #3 - OTA Backups
HR21 #4 - Movies

All of them have 2TB drives (some internal, most external) except my HR34 which has 9TB.

I keep a spreadsheet that is setup so that each DVR has its own sheet and on that sheet are the SL's for the DVR. I keep track of what is airing, what is on hiatus but returning and what is on hiatus but may/may not come back. The spreadsheet is setup in "Numbers" on my Mac and shared in the iCloud so my iPhone and iPad have updated copies.

Knowing what nets are on what units makes it easy to schedule a recording using the iPhone or iPad app.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Ugh, they really need to address this. The day I have to work that hard to watch TV is the day I might as well move to online viewing and leave the DVRs behind.

It's not hard work at all. It's being organized. Once you're organized life is easy.

Work smarter, not harder.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,037 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

It's not hard work at all. It's being organized. Once you're organized life is easy.

Work smarter, not harder.

All quite true and commendable efforts.

I share your passion for organization.

But in this household...and despite having multiple HD DVRs including an HR34...the day we need a spreadsheet to manage our recording plans is the day my wife moves out. :D

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

I commend those with innovative or organized ways to manage those reams of recordings.

It does pose a logical question thought...with that much content recorded....when the heck do you have time to actually view it all? :eek2::D

I gather you aimed that post at me? I don't actually watch D* content that much. I prefer NetFlix and it's streaming British content. But my wife likes D* and has hammered me for even suggesting that we switch to streaming content. Whoops, looks like you aimed at RunnerFL and not me. Sorry. Where does he get the time?

Rich

Edited by Rich, 03 October 2012 - 12:08 PM.
Mistake

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

All quite true and commendable efforts.

I share your passion for organization.

But in this household...and despite having multiple HD DVRs including an HR34...the day we need a spreadsheet to manage our recording plans is the day my wife moves out. :D

I don't think you really need to be as organized as some are. Not that there's anything wrong with being organized. We've got the UPL and that's a data base type of feature. It's all we need. I kinda got sick of Excel after teaching so many classes for Excel use. I read every manual of every new version for several years. My wife is a real power user of Excel and uses it in her work, I don't think she'd appreciate spreadsheets after going thru that VCR nightmare.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,037 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

I gather you aimed that post at me?

Nope. The ability to actually watch hundreds of programming hours that continuously grows would seem to be a challenge for almost anyone.

I don't think you really need to be as organized as some are. Not that there's anything wrong with being organized. We've got the UPL and that's a data base type of feature. It's all we need. I kinda got sick of Excel after teaching so many classes for Excel use. I read every manual of every new version for several years. My wife is a real power user of Excel and uses it in her work, I don't think she'd appreciate spreadsheets after going thru that VCR nightmare.

Same here.

We're not into stockpiling recordings to the point where they can't be watched within a reasonable timeframe. In some cases, certain major event recordings may be "saved" for future viewing and re-viewing, but those are the exceptions by far. That's perhaps the only segway on the original topic here...since most of those preferred "major event" recordings tend to be 3,4,5, or more hours in length, having the storage to retain them (and better yet...the ability to archive them in the event of hard disk failure) would be nice.

#17 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,122 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

I assign Channels to DVRs and I assign by Genre to DVRs.

And yes, all multi-DVR users have been waiting years and, even more so now since MRV, for DirecTV Network functions. Just having H2x functions on HRxx would be a nice beginning.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#18 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,122 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

I use Google Doc SS so I can access from anywhere.

As for handy, I use Flickr. I save 4x3 images of SS for each DVR and stored 'em on Flickr. Flickr can be access via TVapps.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#19 ONLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

I have a spreadsheet, where I keep track of what programs are recording on which DVR at what times.

I too use a spreadsheet. Each season, I check The Futon Critic for the upcoming TV Schedule and put it into a spreadsheet. I assign the programs in the spreadsheet to the various DVR's.

I try to avoid putting all network programming onto a single DVR because there is usually only one showing of network shows. So, unexpected conflicts end up being resolved by one show never getting recorded. So, I spread network shows across my DVR's and give them the highest priorities in the list so they take preference over cable shows, which will be more likely to be replayed later that same night.

#20 ONLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

My wife and I record all of our shows on the HR34 and the kids have all of their shows on an HR21.

The other DVR's (2) are simply used for MRV and have empty playlists.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

Protected By... spam firewall...And...