Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Managing Recordings on Multiple DVRs

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:17 AM

I am under the impression that the rid and access card numbers are "hard coded" into the physical chips on the card and Receiver, and can't be changed without physically changing their chips, that's why they in part can't be spoofed is my understanding. There is no way to do that with an account number, as those have to change when DVRs are activated and deactivated. This is my thought process on this. I don't know if that's the case, but it was explained to me that way long ago and it did make some sense at the time, although I don't remember all the reasoning behind it anymore, just the overall concept.

Hard coded or not, it's just a number. The access card can be spoofed and has in the past. I don't see why you can't spoof a RID either, it's just a number. Not sure why you think it needs to be a "hard coded" number though, a number is a number. They could encrypt the recordings on any drive with any passphrase, why not use the account number?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

Nice, but will DirecTV ever do it for their customers?

According to a few members here, DirecTV does not have the resources.

But they have the resources to put into Genie Recommends :mad:

Which looks to me to be mostly another way to pump PPV. At least with Genie one doesn't have to look at it. The number of PPV ad lines in the guide is getting out of control...

Therein lies the problem... no extra revenue from managing programming via the internet. Oh, wait a minute, they could just add yet ANOTHER fee like HD, WH, ... :nono2:

#63 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

I commend those with innovative or organized ways to manage those reams of recordings.

It does pose a logical question thought...with that much content recorded....when the heck do you have time to actually view it all? :eek2::D

I have 7 DVRs with 14 Terabytes of Recording Capacity on them so Yes I do Record a lot of stuff. I do not have time to view all of the recordings but after a week or so I do Routine Maintenance and Delete those Recordings I do not want to view or keep.

It is an ongoing process so that you can free up space on your DVRs and get rid of dated recordings that you didn't have time to watch such as football games that are interesing such as Oregon but I am not in the West so the ACC and SEC are a higher priority but I still have my eye on Oregon as my FSU Seminoles are right behind them.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#64 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,034 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

But they have the resources to put into Genie Recommends :mad:

Which looks to me to be mostly another way to pump PPV. At least with Genie one doesn't have to look at it. The number of PPV ad lines in the guide is getting out of control...

Therein lies the problem... no extra revenue from managing programming via the internet. Oh, wait a minute, they could just add yet ANOTHER fee like HD, WH, ... :nono2:

DirecTV should be able to add lots of ads to online PlayList and Series Manager, so it could pay for itself if they care to even take a look at providing this service.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#65 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

I have 7 DVRs with 14 Terabytes of Recording Capacity on them so Yes I do Record a lot of stuff. I do not have time to view all of the recordings but after a week or so I do Routine Maintenance and Delete those Recordings I do not want to view or keep.

It is an ongoing process so that you can free up space on your DVRs and get rid of dated recordings that you didn't have time to watch...

This is a new era that we as DVR owners (lessees?) had to wait a decade for, which is enough space to record whatever we want, and watch it whenever we want.

Not that many years ago we were driven by limited space. The DVR was supposed to free us from the playback schedule and allow us to watch indiscriminately, but with limited space, we had to manage the space carefully, and that meant watching shows actually earlier than might be convenient, deleting shows we really might want to keep, missing recordings because we just didn't have the space, watching your second or third choice program instead of your first choice at the moment because you needed to free space on that particular DVR, etc.

So having the luxury of too much space, rather than not enough, has been exceptionally liberating; it took a very long time to get to here.

I have 8 TB on 4 DVRs. You are kind of out in the weeds if you want to do more than that, per DVR at least. I still have to manage it, but things are much better than they were just a few years ago.

Now if we could just perfect unified playlists and HDD backup issues. Double recording and keeping a spreadsheet or other method are the workarounds that currently address those problems, but not all that easily or elegantly. WH seems not all that great either.

I think one great stab at a solution is Hopper technology; I'm just not desperate enough to abandon DTV to get it.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#66 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

We do have the Unified Playlist (UPL) that does exactly that. It acts as a data base. I have a huge UPL and I don't bother with worrying about what's where.

Rich

Right, we have a UPL. I was talking about when setting up a recording. The unified scheduler would go out and find an open tuner, that doesn't have a conflict, on any DVR and sets it up to record. Maybe it checks the current DVR first and if there are conflicts, it checks a second DVR, etc.

And the scheduler would warn you if you are setting up the same program to record a second time. And if you still ask it to set it up to record a second time, it knows to use a different DVR. Since you would be doing it for a backup to the original recording.

And as I have already mentioned, my HR34 with 5 tuners and 1 TB drive works for all my recording needs. So I wouldn't even need this, but some posters have said they would.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#67 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

Unified management is long, long overdue, but, unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that DIRECTV will be pushing to their generally semi-technology-literate customers a sever/client product, the HR34 and C31, which will likely serve the masses quite well. Those same masses are simply not going to know any different nor are they likely to request anything other than what they are being served.

The rest of us? We will need to continue to be the squeaky wheel and request (as in contacting DIRECTV) unified functionality or it simply ain't gonna happen.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

Protected By... spam firewall...And...