Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Will regular analog TV become obsolete in 2006?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2002 - 05:19 PM

First off, I have to applaud you guys on a wonderful job your doing here at this forum, after reading here it seems like a pretty fun, down to earth place. I'm not even all that intrested in DBS, but I've learned alot just from lurking and reading here. Im a Dish Network subscriber. I've been curious about this............

If the mandated HDTV broadcast on that year be fullfilled, are we to say that we will not be able to use analog TV for off the air broadcast and must buy a new TV? I heard reports that set manufactured after 1996 can received HDTV with an encoder box. Is this true? Are they planning to introduced encoder box that are compatible with TV that are not HDTV ready? If not what's the use of buying a 4:3 tv now if it will become obsolete after 2006? And will HDTV sets play analog DVD movies?

Oh...by the way.....Something happened and I could get to the DBSForum I visited once in awhile, I seen a post that TNGTony had wrote and there was a link to here. :) I never posted at the other site, I didn't want to post a dumb question and have someone jump down my throat, after reading here a couple of times, I feel very comfortable with posting, guess I'm kinda shy too.

Thanks in advance, Heather

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Martyva

Martyva

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 05:55 PM

Analog TV will be around for many years. IF the government cuts off the analog signal, there will be set top boxes to allow you to watch digital television. However, if you are looking for a new TV think digital and buy digital. A digital set top box should allow you to watch on any TV:hi:
Yes i'm deaf

#3 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 06:21 PM

And will HDTV sets play analog DVD movies?

Yep! :)

BTW, Heather, welcome to DBSTalk :wave:
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 06:22 PM

Hello Heather, and thanks for joining us! :hi:

That question is a good one, and it's on a lot of people's minds these days. First, I agree completely with Martyva's reply to you. There will be converter boxes available to downconvert HD signals so you can still watch them on your analog set. The boxes will either be free (like from the cable co) or at a very small price point.

Second, I don't believe that the 2006 deadline is going to stick. HD sets are still too expensive, video input standards are changing too quickly still, and there's just not enough content available yet to make it possible. Actually, what the deadline is is 2006 or when 85% of the people have HD sets (whichever is later). That ain't gonna happen by 2006, no way.

By the time it does happen, you'll be ready to replace your set anyway :), and HD sets will probably be about the same cost as decent analog sets are today. Of course, all of this is just my opinion...
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#5 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 12:30 PM

Heather, you can watch HDTV downconverted on your old TV today. Any of the set top box decoders like the Dish 6000 do just that. It has an S-Video and 2 Composite outputs but no RF (coax).

You can also watch HD via your computer monitor. The 6000 has a VGA output as well as a Component.

Also, just to clarify, HDTV is NOT the standard for 2006, Digital is. We HOPE most of it will be HDTV, but then you have FOX throwing a wrench in the works with their 480p "High Resolution Widescreen" presentation that doesn't even look as good as a DVD.

And, DVD's look incredible on a HDTV.

Welcome to the forum.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 02:04 PM

Has there been any news about Fox moving away from ED and going to 720p or 1080i?

And, DVD's look incredible on a HDTV.

Especially superbits playing in a progressive scan dvd player!
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 02:19 PM

I've heard that if and when Fox does go HD, they will be broadcasting 720p.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2002 - 12:19 AM

Thank you for the welcome. :)

I'm going to be needing a new TV for my apartment and I'm very intrigued by HDTV, there kinda pricey, but If I can scratch up a few dollars I'm going to try to get one this summer. I dated a guy awhile back that had an HDTV, unfourtunatly it didn't work out between us, but I'm still in love with his TV. :D

After reading DarrellP's post, You mean I could buy a Dish 6000 receiver and connect it to my older 32" TV and watch it in HD?

How does this Dish picture conversion compare to an actual HDTV?

Thank you once again
Heather

#9 OFFLINE   Martyva

Martyva

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 07:41 AM

As much as seven times picture information in HD, almost three dimension.:hi: There will be a 4:3 HD set with OTA tuner this year at around $600!
Yes i'm deaf

#10 OFFLINE   Joe B

Joe B

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 07:41 AM

Hello,

Via the S-Video output, you would see downconverted HDTV on your analog set, meaning that you would not be able to enjoy all the benefits of HDTV. If you were to have a digital TV connected properly to the HD receiver, you would see true HDTV.

HD upgradeable sets are coming down in price. Sets have generally dropped about 50% over the last 18 months. You can find sets as low as $1,000, now. With way the prices are trending downward, the digital transition might not be that far off track.

Regards,
Joe

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2002 - 08:39 AM

Thanks guys.
How does this conversion look on an analog set as compared to an HDTV?

What do you recommend......money is an issue, I'm single :( , by the Dish 6000 receiver and hook it to my analog set or an HDTV?

#12 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 09:49 AM

It actually looks a little sharper!

I have a Dish 600 and for Hahas hooked it up to a regular TV and watch HD on a SD TV.

Up in Canada on ExpressVu they take a Dish 6000 and tune it to a HD CHannel then rebroadcast its analog output (They call it super definition) Kind of a neat trick, but the picture does look better. Although nowhere near the quality of standard HDTV.

#13 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 02:55 PM

A DECODER will allow you to watch digital broadcasts on any analog TV (though for REALLY old ones you may also need an RF modulator...). BTW, there are VERY few DIGITAL TV sets, just lots of high-res analog ones (you still need a decoder, but they offer an amazing picture). There's also no such thing as analog DVDs (note DIGITAL Video/Versatile Disc)

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2002 - 04:43 AM

Thank you everyone. :)

#15 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 05:34 PM

"Via the S-Video output, you would see downconverted HDTV on your analog set, meaning that you would not be able to enjoy all the benefits of HDTV. If you were to have a digital TV connected properly to the HD receiver, you would see true HDTV"

Wrong. The DISH 6000 has no digital output so you will always be seeing a decoded picture. It's just the output resolution in question. RGB will give the best picture, followed by high-res component, then SVideo, then composite, then RF through a modulator. A digital TV set (though there aren't any strictly digital sets AFAIK out yet) couldn't be connected to a 6000 as it only has analog outputs (if and when such sets are released)

#16 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 07:40 AM

Id like to add my thoughts.

The answer to your question is a simple "yes".

The Feds have sold the analog bandwidth. The change to digital is a not an option. Now it is only the proposed formats of HD that are at issue.

Regards

Gregg Loewen
ISF Video Calibrationist

#17 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 08:17 PM

True enough Gregg, analog broadcasting will stop, but does broadcast TV really matter anymore? That is the question. Because of bandwidth issues, I'm willing to bet SDTV through DirecTV and Digital Cable, combined with analog NTSC through analog cable will be around for at least 5-10 years after analog broadcasts stop. And I'm willing to bet even when analog broadcasts stop, most digital broadcasts will remain SDTV.

#18 OFFLINE   HTguy

HTguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Mark
"If you were to have a digital TV connected properly to the HD receiver, you would see true HDTV"

Wrong. The DISH 6000 has no digital output so you will always be seeing a decoded picture.

Well, Mark, I think you just might be confusing some folks by being a little too technical with the semantics.

Sure, the 6000 is an HD decoder STB and what we casually refer to as "digital" HD ready TVs aren't really digital from input to display, but the fact is that they are capable of displaying upconverted & non-interlaced content including 1080i and/or 720p HDTV.

Heather hasn't revealed her location but if she is in an area with OTA digital locals she will certainly like them better with the 6000 & its 8VSB tuner module on any set.
"A DISH IN EVERY HOME"

#19 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Martyva
As much as seven times picture information in HD, almost three dimension.:hi: There will be a 4:3 HD set with OTA tuner this year at around $600!

Martyva, who's coming out with this, and do you have any kind of date? I'm in the market for a new set myself. The least expensive HD I've seen has been about $1200. There's no way I can spend that much right now, but $600 would be in the ballpark.

#20 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 10:05 PM

"Sure, the 6000 is an HD decoder STB and what we casually refer to as "digital" HD ready TVs aren't really digital from input to display, but the fact is that they are capable of displaying upconverted & non-interlaced content including 1080i and/or 720p HDTV."

That is very true. But it's not digital. It's high resolution analog, like a CRT computer monitor. Only flat screens and projectors are digital display devices, capable of a completely digital display path if desired.

spam firewall