Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Apple Producing Smaller Version of iPad

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,352 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

From the WSJ --

BY LORRAINE LUK

TAIPEI—Asian suppliers for Apple Inc. have started mass production of a new tablet computer smaller than the current iPad, executives at component makers said, as the Silicon Valley company tries to stay competitive against tablets from rivals such as Google Inc. and Amazon.com Inc.

The smaller tablet will have a 7.85-inch liquid-crystal display with a lower resolution than the latest iPad

Obviously targeting the Kindle Fire market

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Obviously targeting the Kindle Fire market

Yeah....they've been getting their clock cleaned in terms of lost competitive sales in the small tablet market.

With the Kindle, Kindle HD, and Nexus 7 already out there and growing their market share...it'll be interesting to see how getting to the game late bodes for sales.

I have little doubt they'll sell anything with the apple logo on it, but this is a rare case where they are behind the competition to get things out to market.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,352 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

I wouldn't (read can't) carry an ipad, but I can slip a 7" Kindle Fire in the side pocket of my shorts.

Size matters.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

I wouldn't (read can't) carry an ipad, but I can slip a 7" Kindle Fire in the side pocket of my shorts.

Size matters.

I have little doubt Apple would/will sell a bunch of these. Based on various things I've read...there's pent up demand already out there for a smaller profile tablet. I prefer the 10.1" size for viewing, but I also see lots of Kindles out there.

#5 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,895 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

I have no doubt they will sell several million within days of release - assuming production is up.

It's got a tight window for price point. The cost of the iPhone5 is around $190.

As an owner / co-owner of all three iPads, currently only two, I still think the 10" screen hits the sweet spot for browsing / portability.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   pfueri

pfueri

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

Yeah....they've been getting their clock cleaned in terms of lost competitive sales in the small tablet market.

With the Kindle, Kindle HD, and Nexus 7 already out there and growing their market share...it'll be interesting to see how getting to the game late bodes for sales.

I have little doubt they'll sell anything with the apple logo on it, but this is a rare case where they are behind the competition to get things out to market.

They are far from getting there clocks cleaned ! You need to do a little research before you say things . For one thing how can they get there clocks cleaned if they don't make a smaller tablet yet ? And you can add up all other tablets big or small and they don't even come close to how many iPads have been sold and in use .

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

They are far from getting there clocks cleaned ! You need to do a little research before you say things . For one thing how can they get there clocks cleaned if they don't make a smaller tablet yet ? And you can add up all other tablets big or small and they don't even come close to how many iPads have been sold and in use ?

Apple has no product in the 7" tablet market, and are more than a year behind having something out there to sell to this market. Amazon and Google saw a market and went after it - there are many millions of Kindle tablets out there....so yes...in the 7" tablet space...they are getting their clocks cleaned. Apples to Apples (pun intended).

Nobody's talking about their conventional tablet.

Once Apple actually has a 7" tablet, the interesting thing will be seeing the adoption rate and how their marketshare grows. Based on history, there's no doubt they'll sell plenty of them.

#8 OFFLINE   pfueri

pfueri

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Apple has no product in the 7" tablet market, and are more than a year behind having something out there to sell to this market. In the mean time, there are many millions of Kindle tablets out there....so yes...they are getting their clocks cleaned. Apples to Apples (pun intended).

Nobody's talking about their conventional tablet.

And that is what I said they don't make one yet . Did you even reed what I said ? So how can they get there clocks cleaned ? Even though they have sold and are still selingl more iPads than any other tablet made big or small ? Is all I'm saying .

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

And that is what I said they don't make one yet . Did you even reed what I said ? So how can they get there clocks cleaned ? Even though they have sold and are still selingl more iPads than any other tablet made big or small ? Is all I'm saying .

I get what you said....yes.

But having NO offering to a specific consumer market compared with millions sold in contrast is getting your clock cleaned. At least for now. No sense arguing about how there other tablet in this context - the thread is about 7" tablets.

There were rumors 3 years ago Apple was considering releasing a smaller tablet...yet none was released.

I suspect Apple will leverage its marketing power and launch their own 7" tablet and sell millions of them.

#10 OFFLINE   pfueri

pfueri

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

But having NO offering to a specific consumer market compared with millions sold in contrast is getting your clock cleaned. At least for now. No sense arguing about how there other tablet in this context - the thread is about 7" tablets.

Not to keep going on about this but if a company don't make a product and another one dose how can they be cleaning there clock ? That is like saying all 7 inch tablets are cleaning Kmarts clock . Because they don't make one .

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

Not to keep going on about this but if a company don't make a product and another one dose how can they be cleaning there clock ? That is like saying all 7 inch tablets are cleaning Kmarts clock . Because they don't make one .

But Apple is in the tablet business and chose not to address this market until now...when they see other are having success there. And unlike Kmart...they are in the tablet business.

So let's move on and let others chime in...I'll drop any further responses to that position accordingly as well. ;)

#12 OFFLINE   pfueri

pfueri

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

There were rumors 3 years ago Apple was considering releasing a smaller tablet...yet none was released.

I suspect Apple will leverage its marketing power and launch their own 7" tablet and sell millions of them.

And the only reason they have sold any 7 inch tablets is because they are cheap made of plastic . And they don't even make any profit on them . So let Amazon and google keep losing money on them .

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

And the only reason they have sold any 7 inch tablets is because they are cheap made of plastic . And they don't even make any profit on them . So let Amazon and google keep losing money on them .

You might want to read this...

http://www.theatlant...-working/47605/

#14 OFFLINE   pfueri

pfueri

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

But Apple is in the tablet business and chose not to address this market until now...when they see other are having success there. And unlike Kmart...they are in the tablet business.

So let's move on and let others chime in...I'll drop any further responses to that position accordingly as well. ;)

No problem . We will all see if and when Apple makes a 7 inch tablet I'm sure it will be a better built and more sought after product .

#15 OFFLINE   pfueri

pfueri

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

You might want to read this...

http://www.theatlant...-working/47605/

We are talking hardware . But if you want to talk about all the media Apple sells with there IOS devices you could not even come close .

#16 OFFLINE   pfueri

pfueri

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Certainly a possibility. You might want to read the article on this topic via the link I included 2 posts back.

You know Apple sells more music and games on there IOS platform than anyone else .

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

You know Apple sells more music and games on there IOS platform than anyone else .

OK.

#18 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

Gents,

I am not completely satisfied with the tone of this thread. Please be a little more respectful.

Thanks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#19 OFFLINE   pfueri

pfueri

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

OK.

I looked at it . Amazon sells thousands of products . And makes alot of money from that .If Amazon were a hardware only company they would not have even made a tablet to go against iPad .

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

The key will be the price. A lot of people that have a 7" tablet got one because they are fairly cheap. With normal Apple pricing, thy still may not be able to crack the market. It will still be at a premium.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...