Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Apple Producing Smaller Version of iPad

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

The key will be the price. A lot of people that have a 7" tablet got one because they are fairly cheap. With normal Apple pricing, thy still may not be able to crack the market. It will still be at a premium.

If the rumors are true, the iPad mini screen will have 40% more area than a standard 7" tablet, so not exactly an apples to Apple comparison when it comes to pricing. :P It's really in a class by itself, IMO, at 2/3 the size of a standard iPad.

One way to compare faily might be "sq in" pricing. A 16GB Nexus 7 at $225 (after the play store credit) is $10.23 per sq in. A 16GB iPad mini at $299 would be $9.97 per sq in, so comparable. (By comparison, a 9.7" iPad2 is $8.86 and an iPad3 is $11.09 per sq in.)

Posted Image
Image from: Cult of Mac.

Edited by Steve, 04 October 2012 - 08:33 AM.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

I am really think it will be a lower priced lower-end version. $199?

Maybe rear camera only
Maybe wifi only
Maybe non retina display

#23 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Maybe non retina display

I'm with you on this. If I had to guess, to keep price down it will be 1024x768. On a 7.85" screen, that's ~ 162 PPI, so a bit sharper than an iPad 2 at 132 PPI, but not retina.

I do think it will have front and back cameras, tho. To stay consistent with current iPods, iPhones and iPads.
/steve

#24 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

If the rumors are true, the iPad mini screen will have 40% more area than a standard 7" tablet, so not exactly an apples to Apple comparison when it comes to pricing.

Quite true.

Then again...how much more will people want to pay for 0.85" of added screen? I suspect you are spot on that it will mostly come down to price, as well as brand loyalty. Apple has always been strong on loyalty.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#25 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,917 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

Quite true.

Then again...how much more will people want to pay for 0.85" of added screen? I suspect you are spot on that it will mostly come down to price, as well as brand loyalty. Apple has always been strong on loyalty.

I can actually see some of the really loyal having both. An iPad sometimes is a bit large just for reading a book etc. I can honestly see some using both units depending on the circumstances they are in at the time.

#26 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

I can actually see some of the really loyal having both. An iPad sometimes is a bit large just for reading a book etc. I can honestly see some using both units depending on the circumstances they are in at the time.

Same here -- if the mini is priced no more than $299 then I will likely get one & carry it with me in my purse.

#27 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

Enter the battery-powered, fully-wired and socketed iPad backpack/knapsack, to carry all those various tablets and stuff. The main problem I have with any portable device, be it laptop, notebook or tablet is that there is no carry handle. The Panny "Toughbook" has a handle but who can afford one of those? I want a handle. :confused:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#28 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

The Panny "Toughbook" has a handle but who can afford one of those? I want a handle. :confused:

Speaking of which, I noticed last week they came out with a new one. A little cheaper, but not by much:

http://betanews.com/...t-toughbook-53/
/steve

#29 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

The more devices in the Apple Ecosystem ... the better it is for those already in the Ecosystem or those that see the value in the Ecosystem ... good stuff.

More is good ... more apps, more uses, more 3rd party possibilities, perfect.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#30 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

Speaking of which, I noticed last week they came out with a new one. A little cheaper, but not by much:

With no numeric keypad, is that a 4:3 AR screen I see? That is what I want and need.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#31 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

With no numeric keypad, is that a 4:3 AR screen I see? That is what I want and need.

Thanks for the link.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#32 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

Specs here. At 1366 x 768, appears to be 16:9.
/steve

#33 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

This is the size I was hoping the original iPad would be, and I will be getting one. I love my iPad 2, but I have small hands and it is hard for me to hold when I read. I usually have to rest it on the arm of the chair and then I get a stiff neck or something.

I'm just hoping that they use the same anti-glare screen as they have on the iPhone 5 so I will be able to read it outside too. Depending on the specs, I just might get the one with the largest amount of storage and 3G, and then sell my iPad 2.

#34 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

I've been itching to get a Nexus 7, but I tried a 7" Nook Color before we bought our iPad 2, and the 7" 16:9 screen was just too small for comfortable web browsing, both for my eyes and my fingers. The iPad Mini looks like it may be a great compromise between overall size and screen size (below), so I'm really looking forward to trying one out.

James Kendrick of ZDNet, who currently owns 4 different tablets, loves his iPad, but finds himself using his Nexus 7 more, due to it's convenient size. He had this to say: http://www.zdnet.com...ble-7000005077/

Attached Thumbnails

• Mini.jpg

Edited by Steve, 05 October 2012 - 06:44 AM.

/steve

#35 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

Apple is obviously targeting those who don't want to pay $499 for an iPad. That's OK I guess but it's hard to say how many they will actually sell. For Apple users like me who already have an iPad, I don't plan on buying an iPad mini. Have no use for it at all. Wouldn't want the smaller screen. My iPhone is fine for that.

I just don't see Apple breaking any records with the iPad mini. The usual die hard Apple fans already have the iPad so I don't see them flooding the stores with lines around the block.

#36 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:51 AM

I just can't see the appeal of a small 4x3 tablet. It's too wide to be one comfortable one-handed.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#37 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

I like the Retina display on the iPad3, these may be good for the kids, gotta check it out once released.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#38 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

I just can't see the appeal of a small 4x3 tablet. It's too wide to be one comfortable one-handed.

I hold a standard iPad in portrait mode one-handed now, so the larger size won't be an issue for me. Weight after prolonged use is my issue. If they make it as thin and relatively light weight as the iPhone 5, I think it will be very comfortable.

Plus 7.9", 4:3 for web browsing will allow you to see more of a web page at a larger type size than on a 7" tablet.
/steve

#39 OFFLINE   gilg1

gilg1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

The price point for the 7" err more closer to 8" tablet will be $399. If you look at Apple's products: iPhone-$199.99, iPod Touch-$299.99, and the iPad-$499.99, the missing price point is $399.99.

Let me explain... the new iPod touch is what 4" and the iPad is at 10" yet their price points are $200 apart. There is no way Apple will undercut selling the iPod touch by offering it a similar price point or one that is below it.

Why will Apple sell it at $399.99 whereas everyone else is selling it at $199.99? Simply because they can. Apple does a great job, in fact probably the best at marketing their products.

I am not in anyway an Apple fanboy but truth is truth. Once the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 came out, Apple had no choice but to get into this space.

Oh BTW... HDTV is correct in the previous argument. Although Apple was not selling a 7" tablet, they are THE company that brought a successful
tablet to market with the iPad. Samsung and HTC tried to compete early in the space by releasing first a 7" tablet with no luck and Apple ignored it because there wasn't much success. Not until Amazon brought out the Kindle did Apple need to take notice. Now they have and will no doubt sell millions of iPad Minis. But Apple was definitely losing business to this particular market share and "getting their clocks cleaned" in this particular area.

#40 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,213 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

And that is what I said they don't make one yet . Did you even reed what I said ? So how can they get there clocks cleaned ? Even though they have sold and are still selingl more iPads than any other tablet made big or small ? Is all I'm saying .

If you take the whole tablet market, it's possible to have one large segment where one's clock can be cleaned. And it's hyperbole, anyway; a colorful figure of speech.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...