Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Apple Producing Smaller Version of iPad

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

Enter the battery-powered, fully-wired and socketed iPad backpack/knapsack, to carry all those various tablets and stuff. The main problem I have with any portable device, be it laptop, notebook or tablet is that there is no carry handle. The Panny "Toughbook" has a handle but who can afford one of those? I want a handle. :confused:

I'm afraid you're out of luck, then. I just don't see anyone adding a handle, as most people want the protection of a case when they move their device. Plus the vulnerability to breakage of the handle itself and knocks to the device that'd bring in a lot more repairs and complaints. That's my handle on the situation....:D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#42 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

The price point for the 7" err more closer to 8" tablet will be $399. If you look at Apple's products: iPhone-$199.99, iPod Touch-$299.99, and the iPad-$499.99, the missing price point is $399.99.

You could be right, but I sure hope you're wrong.

They actually do have a $399 product ATM. The non-Retina iPad 2. So unless the iPad Mini is Retina, might be hard for them to justify charging the same $399 for a smaller non-Retina device.

There is no way Apple will undercut selling the iPod touch by offering it a similar price point or one that is below it.

Different market segments, IMHO. Desire for pocketability vs. desire for screen size. Also at $299, the iPod Touch is 32GB. I think a 32GB iPad mini will cost $399. Just my .02.

Edited by Steve, 05 October 2012 - 08:53 AM.

/steve

#43 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,313 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

Apple is obviously targeting those who don't want to pay $499 for an iPad. That's OK I guess but it's hard to say how many they will actually sell. For Apple users like me who already have an iPad, I don't plan on buying an iPad mini. Have no use for it at all. Wouldn't want the smaller screen. My iPhone is fine for that.

I just don't see Apple breaking any records with the iPad mini. The usual die hard Apple fans already have the iPad so I don't see them flooding the stores with lines around the block.

Agree. At the same time, I'd buy one for my gf, and then we'd have an extra device just for reading. My iPad has been burning through battery time even when asleep, and so the other day I read part of a book on my iPhone. It was surprisingly convenient and comfortable, aside from flipping the tiny pages every few seconds. The iPad isn't comfortable for extended reading unless it's on its own stand.

#44 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

[...] the other day I read part of a book on my iPhone. It was surprisingly convenient and comfortable, aside from flipping the tiny pages every few seconds.

Funny you mention that. I have an old HTC Incredible (3.5 inch screen) I use like an iPod, and it is a surprisingly good e-book reader. Larger type than the newspaper, but as you say, more page flips.
/steve

#45 OFFLINE   gilg1

gilg1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

Yup...you are probably right... I forgot that they still sell the iPad 2 at $399.99.... 16gb iPad Mini at $299.99 is a better price point with the 32gb probably at $399.99

#46 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,357 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

If you take the whole tablet market, it's possible to have one large segment where one's clock can be cleaned. And it's hyperbole, anyway; a colorful figure of speech.

Amazon, ever vigilant for new trends in the marketplace, has added a new line of products -- cleaned clocks. I've ordered two, one for the mantle and one for the loo. :sure:

I'm afraid you're out of luck, then. I just don't see anyone adding a handle, as most people want the protection of a case when they move their device. Plus the vulnerability to breakage of the handle itself and knocks to the device that'd bring in a lot more repairs and complaints. That's my handle on the situation....:D

I took my laptop to a pc repair shop and they said they could handle that. :P

EDIT: A local jeweler is now offering a new service -- clock cleaning.

bada boom!

Edited by Nick, 05 October 2012 - 09:49 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,313 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

Bada Bing!!

I hope those cleaned clocks are digital!

Way easier to clean digital streams than analogue....:hurah:

#48 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,357 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

This probably belongs in another thread, but speaking of digital clocks, I recently got an analog-to-digital converter for my bladder -- now I pee a digital stream, but I still have to raise the seat! :lol: bada-bada-boom!

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#49 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

The more devices in the Apple Ecosystem ... the better it is for those already in the Ecosystem or those that see the value in the Ecosystem ... good stuff.

More is good ... more apps, more uses, more 3rd party possibilities, perfect.

"Ecosystem." I hate that word even more than "Cloud." :lol: It's not a forest, it's a tablet! :lol:

#50 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

This probably belongs in another thread, but speaking of digital clocks, I recently got an analog-to-digital converter for my bladder -- now I pee a digital stream, but I still have to raise the seat! :lol: bada-bada-boom!

Using your example it sounds like you added an "L" by mistake in digital cLock. :grin:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...