Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T Microcell

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 856 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

I believe that some of you have an AT&T Microcell. My understanding is that when you are on the Microcell, if you don't have cellular data turned off then any data goes through the Microcell instead of your home wireless. Is that right & if so, has that just not been a problem because you don't use much data (or have a large enough data plan), or are you turning off cellular data while at home. I'm thinking about getting one for my mother.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

I have cellular data turned on but my iPhone always uses a Wi-Fi connection if one is available for data. The Microcell is only used for voice. At least that is what I see.

#3 OFFLINE   johnck78

johnck78

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

The MicroCell is only used for voice, so data will go through your cellular data or wifi if you have it connected.

There is one major thing to remember about the MicroCell. It only works if you are in a very low -> no signal area. I have one, and have to turn it off and on all the time. There are days where I have no signal at all so I turn it on. On other days where there is strong signal, if I am connected to MicroCell, I usually cannot make a call or maintain a call. It is in the documentation, but near the bottom.
Full Diagram of My Setup

Be a DBSTalk Club Member for $15 Support DBSTalk.com

Twitter: @JohnCK78

#4 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 856 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

My mother gets maybe 2 bars in her house & even with that, the calls drop or are garbled. She has lost a lot of her mental edge these last few years so it won't be worth it if it doesn't work seamlessly.

Why does your signal strength differ depending on the day?

#5 OFFLINE   johnck78

johnck78

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

I wish I could answer that question, I think it's because we are on the outskirts of signal, and on good clear days we have good signal and on crappy days it is deprecated.
Full Diagram of My Setup

Be a DBSTalk Club Member for $15 Support DBSTalk.com

Twitter: @JohnCK78

#6 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

I've never had any issues. If our phones are within range of the Microcell they use it instead of the regular cell signal. We are out in the boonies and get 0-3 bars depending on who knows what.

#7 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,396 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

I got one with the 3G iPhone and turned it off when the 5 arrived. I would have 5 bars on the deck but nothing in the house. The microcell just does what it's name implies, it puts your calls on your internet connection.

It works fine, it's currently on eBay for the next two hours, PM me if you're interested.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

spam firewall