Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ok, have had directv for a month now.....

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flybynyte

flybynyte

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

only issue i have show up every now and then is in "response time" between remote and HR24-200. otherwise, love it!

:balloons:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

If you have it, place a piece of Blue Painters Tape over the sensor on the receiver.
If not, try Scotch tape and color it dark with a marks a lot or Sharpe, etc.
This will block out the unwanted IR interference being generated by items in the room. Most likely the TV itself.
The Ambient light sensor on the TV is a big Edit: Remove ( generator) Replace with ( contributor to this problem ).
If you can turn that off it might solve the problem.

If your Remote is an RF remote you can switch to RF and probably fix this problem also.

Edited by jimmie57, 04 October 2012 - 11:21 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce

Cool Member

• Banned User
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

Here are some things to maybe help the response time:
The more recordings you have, the slower it may become.
Native Mode may be on (which makes the receiver process a different resolution).

I know the first one was the truest for me, since I have Top Gear set to auto-record (which they seem to play almost religiously on BBCA) so after about a week ill end up with like 100+ recordings of it. I think there is a response time table somewhere showing how long it should take to respond for each receiver type, but I cant see to find it.
I'm that person you talk to on the phone when you call DirecTV
I Do Billing For DirecTV ;)
My posts reflect my OWN opinions, not those of DirecTV

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

The Ambient light sensor on the TV is a big generator if you can turn that off it might solve the problem.

Hmmm. A sensor that emits what it is detecting. That's an interesting theory, but it only holds true for some combination ambient light/proximity sensors.

The reason that telecom.nz brought it up in their TiVo troubleshooting recommendations was because the sensor may cause the backlight to vary substantially, not because the sensor itself generates IR.

Aside from an LCD TV's fluorescent backlight, CFL lamps and other external sources are also possible culprits.

Not knowing specifically whether the OP is using IR or RF makes this line of reasoning dangerous. Further, newcomers to DIRECTV may not be familiar with what is typical for remote response and even the fastest DIRECTV receivers are indeed slower to respond than many (if not most) STBs employed by other carriers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,540 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

... Further, newcomers to DIRECTV may not be familiar with what is typical for remote response and even the fastest DIRECTV receivers are indeed slower to respond than many (if not most) STBs employed by other carriers.

Further, non DirecTV subs may not have a clue about typical anything when it comes to DirecTV.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hmmm. A sensor that emits what it is detecting. That's an interesting theory, but it only holds true for some combination ambient light/proximity sensors.

The reason that telecom.nz brought it up in their TiVo troubleshooting recommendations was because the sensor may cause the backlight to vary substantially, not because the sensor itself generates IR.

Aside from an LCD TV's fluorescent backlight, CFL lamps and other external sources are also possible culprits.

Not knowing specifically whether the OP is using IR or RF makes this line of reasoning dangerous. Further, newcomers to DIRECTV may not be familiar with what is typical for remote response and even the fastest DIRECTV receivers are indeed slower to respond than many (if not most) STBs employed by other carriers.

That makes a lot of sense.

Those banner ads DTV is putting in the guide does this also and causes some to have problems with their remotes not working for a few seconds / minutes at a time.

Thanks

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

I have been using the HR24's for a couple of years now, and I've only noticed the remote issue over the past few months. I'm using RF on all boxes and I'm using less than 20% of my available space. It seems like it happens most when I first power on the HR24 and press the guide button, then start typing numbers. The guide will pop up right away, but the numbers do not show up for about 6-7 seconds.

:confused:

#8 OFFLINE   RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce

Cool Member

• Banned User
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hey! I found that table with the respone times for HDDVR's, HD receivers, and Standard DVR's:

For HDDVR's
Channel Up / Down: 8 sec
Record: 6 sec
Power On / Off: 8 sec
Trickplay (FF, etc.): 1 sec
Guide / Banner: 3 sec
Active - load: 62 sec
Search - title: 2 sec
Active - tune from: 19 sec
Search - person: 34 sec
Mix Channels: 24 sec
Search - channel: 11 sec
Game Lounge - load: 1.5 min
Search - keyword: 58 sec
Game Lounge - play: 1.5 min
Score Guide: 2 sec
CINEMAplus: 13 sec

HD Receivers
Channel Up / Down: 5 sec
Record: NA
Power On / Off: 3 sec
Trickplay (FF, etc.): NA
Guide / Banner: 2 sec
Active - load: 27 sec
Active - tune from: 5 sec
Search - person: 2 sec
Mix Channels: 7 sec
Search - channel: 3 sec
Game Lounge - load: 38 sec
Search - keyword: 8 sec
Game Lounge - play: 46 sec
Score Guide: 1 sec
CINEMAplus: NA

Standard DVR's
Channel Up / Down: 3 sec
Record: 1 sec
Power On / Off: 4 sec
Guide / Banner: 2 sec
Active - load:19 sec
Search - title: 3 sec
Active - tune from: 3 sec
Search - person: 3 sec
Mix Channels: 3 sec
Search - channel: 4 sec
Game Lounge - load: 31 sec
Search - keyword: 8 sec
Game Lounge - play: 44 sec
Score Guide: 1 sec

Edit: Horray for Google! xD

#9 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

I upgraded to a HR-24 about two months ago and just recently I've noticed a slowdown on the remote response. Right after it was installed it changed channels quickly, (few seconds) but it started slowing down and the last few days it has been taking 10 to 20 seconds between changes. I've tried a RBR and tuning to channel 1 for a few hours but no change. I have better than 80 percent left on the hard drive and 90 or more signal on most of the sat's. I know this issue has been talked about for some time with the older DVR's but I thought I was lucky when I first got the HR-24. My 3 H-25's have no problem.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

Further, non DirecTV subs may not have a clue about typical anything when it comes to DirecTV.

Just as long-time DIRECTV subs may not have a clue about what else is out there.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for the list RollsRoyce.
I had never seen that until you posted it.
I tried a few of the commands on my HR23 and they are inline with the list.

#12 OFFLINE   RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce

Cool Member

• Banned User
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

I upgraded to a HR-24 about two months ago and just recently I've noticed a slowdown on the remote response. Right after it was installed it changed channels quickly, (few seconds) but it started slowing down and the last few days it has been taking 10 to 20 seconds between changes. I've tried a RBR and tuning to channel 1 for a few hours but no change. I have better than 80 percent left on the hard drive and 90 or more signal on most of the sat's. I know this issue has been talked about for some time with the older DVR's but I thought I was lucky when I first got the HR-24. My 3 H-25's have no problem.

did you recently connect the hddvr to the internet? because if you did that it would enable such features as youtube and pandora and such, which means a longer response time, also make sure native is off.

#13 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Have you tried turning off all resolutions except 1080i ?
Set Scrolling Feature to OFF ?
Set Native to OFF ?

Those seem to always help some.

#14 OFFLINE   RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce

Cool Member

• Banned User
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for the list RollsRoyce.
I had never seen that until you posted it.
I tried a few of the commands on my HR23 and they are inline with the list.

Wasnt going to post the times for standard receivers, but I thought "Why not" so here they are:

Standard Receivers
Channel Up / Down: 3 sec
Record: NA
Power On / Off: 1 sec
Trickplay (FF, etc.): NA
Guide / Banner: 1 sec
Active - load: 17 sec
Search - title: NA
Active - tune from: 3 sec
Search - person: NA
Mix Channels: 3 sec
Search - channel: NA
Game Lounge - load: 18 sec
Search - keyword: NA
Game Lounge - play: 2 sec
Score Guide: 3 sec

Hope that helps in someway!

#15 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,540 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hey! I found that table with the respone times for HDDVR's, HD receivers, and Standard DVR's:

For HDDVR's
Channel Up / Down: 8 sec
Record: 6 sec
Power On / Off: 8 sec
Guide / Banner: 3 sec
Active - load: 62 sec
Active - tune from: 19 sec
Search - person: 34 sec
Mix Channels: 24 sec
Search - channel: 11 sec
Game Lounge - load: 1.5 min
Search - keyword: 58 sec
Game Lounge - play: 1.5 min

My HR34

Channel Up / Down: 4 sec
Record: 3 sec
Power On / Off: 2 sec
Guide / Banner: 3 sec / 1 sec
Active - load: 22 sec
Active - tune from: 5 sec
Search - person: 4 sec
Mix Channels: 9 sec
Search - channel: 5 sec
Game Lounge - load: 23 sec
Search - keyword: 2 sec for "curling"
Game Lounge - play: I'm not wasting money
CINEMAplus: 15 sec to load All New Releases
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

Do you have the specific model numbers and time frame associated with that data?

#17 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

did you recently connect the hddvr to the internet? because if you did that it would enable such features as youtube and pandora and such, which means a longer response time, also make sure native is off.

Nothing has changed since it was installed except the longer response times. However I was reviewing some older posts on the matter and I noticed several posts advising to change the batteries in the remote. Guess what, my remote response is back to normal. I observed the batteries that were put in by the tech were just heavy duty batteries, not even alkaline so they didn't last very long. If anyone is having problems with the remote, try changing the batteries. Worked for me.

#18 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

years ago when I had a SDTV I got in on the trial of Digital Cable. That was long before it went widespread from Cablevision. I got it along side of Satellite TV. It wasn't very good. When you changed the channel, the new channel would start to appear as small blocks of content until you had a full screen.

About the time the guide finished completely populating it would crash and need a reboot and then start loading the guide again.

The reason I mention it is that I had major problems with the remote not working properly. I had them come out and they traced it to one of the Fluorescent fixtures. If I turned it off the Digital box worked OK with the remote.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#19 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:30 AM

Sadly, sporadic response and/or general slowness seem to be the price of admission to the DirecTV club. It has been this way since the HR series was first introduced. Too bad these troubles can’t just be fixed but obviously ‘response time’ is pretty low on DirecTV’s priority list. I think response time/speed is somewhere between stocking the vending machine in the engineering department and scheduling the summer party on the list.:lol:

#20 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

Sadly, sporadic response and/or general slowness seem to be the price of admission to the DirecTV club. It has been this way since the HR series was first introduced. Too bad these troubles can’t just be fixed but obviously ‘response time’ is pretty low on DirecTV’s priority list. I think response time/speed is somewhere between stocking the vending machine in the engineering department and scheduling the summer party on the list.:lol:

Wow, I didn't realize the "time/speed" issue had moved up that high on the list, since the last time I checked! ;)
HR34-700, HR22-100

spam firewall