Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

WHDVR problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

I recently signed up for WHDVR service and I'm disappointed with it at this point. I have an HR20 and an HR22, both with DECAs attached and the CCK.

The problem is I never know whether the DVRs will be connected to each other or not. Currently the 22 says there are no connected DVRs, but the 20 is fine. I've had it be just the opposite also. And then then everything can be fine in an hour or two without me changing anything. I've also done a reset when one of them can't find the other, but that doesn't help.
Any ideas what may be going on?

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

My guess is that there is a weak connection between the two. Press and hold {INFO}, that's a good starting point. It will tell you if there are dropped connections between the two.

Weak connections can happen when the cables are too long, or when the connectors are a little loose. Whole-home DVR is a lot more sensitive to that stuff than regular TV.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,634 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

Are the lights anything but green? If they're not solid or flashing green, I'd check / retighten the connections on both ends.

In general they've been very reliable. I have 5 in service and a spare. You could try to stop an installer and ask for a spare (with a $tip). Or call D* they may send you one.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Are the lights anything but green? If they're not solid or flashing green, I'd check / retighten the connections on both ends.

In general they've been very reliable. I have 5 in service and a spare. You could try to stop an installer and ask for a spare (with a $tip). Or call D* they may send you one.

I'm assuming that you are referring to a DECA?

#5 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

All DECA lights are solid green and, about three hours ago, I checked all connections. Some were not quite finger tight.

I just checked, and the 22 is now networked to the 20. I'll see how long it lasts.

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,626 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

All DECA lights are solid green and, about three hours ago, I checked all connections. Some were not quite finger tight.

I just checked, and the 22 is now networked to the 20. I'll see how long it lasts.

Good luck! Sometimes just going into Network setup and hitting Advanced- but not changing anything, just scroll through and out— can do the trick.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

Oh man, this is the exact same behavior I've had for years with my unsupported powerline setup. I was hoping it would go away when I got the real supported Whole Home (with DECAs, etc) setup (install set for Monday). Please tell me this is an abnormality and for most users it stays connected.

#8 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Oh man, this is the exact same behavior I've had for years with my unsupported powerline setup. I was hoping it would go away when I got the real supported Whole Home (with DECAs, etc) setup (install set for Monday). Please tell me this is an abnormality and for most users it stays connected.

It's an abnormality.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#9 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

Well, The good news is that both DVRs are still connected to each other.

The bad news is that the HR20 is no longer connected to the Internet.

If it's not one thing it's another. Grrrrrrr.......

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

Sounds like it might be a router/IP address issue. Have you tried assigning the DVRs with static IP addresses?
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Sounds like it might be a router/IP address issue. Have you tried assigning the DVRs with static IP addresses?

I'm not sure how to do that.

#12 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

I'm not sure how to do that.

There are a few FAQs, but I think this is what you're looking for: