Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Remote Problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wukilla

wukilla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

My remote has worked with my TV for 2 years without issue. Over the past month the remote no longer works beyond 5 feet with my TV. The TV's original remote works perfectly fine from 10 feet where my couch is. I tried calling DTV about the issue and they told me there was nothing that can be done. Does anyone have any ideas for me in getting a replacement remote from DTV?:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

Turn the TV off with it's remote and see if the DTV remote works the receiver with the TV off.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

Did you get the protection plan? i thought they would send you a new remote for free if you have a defective remote. otherwise you might have to buy a new one,check directv website,solid signal,best buy,amazon or ebay for best price.

#4 OFFLINE   nap81992

nap81992

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

I suppose you have tried new batteries? 1 remote working properly and the other is not.. 2 sets of batteries? If so and you have the protection plan remotes are covered.

#5 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

Usually you will get extra flashes of the green light on the end when you press a button or a message from the receiver that you batteries are getting low. I have gotten both in the past.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,567 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

Usually you will get extra flashes of the green light on the end when you press a button or a message from the receiver that you batteries are getting low. I have gotten both in the past.

As the issue is controlling the TV, it could be that the TV is just less sensitive and the diminishing batteries impact it sooner.

This may be another instance of settings on the TV changing (ie cranking up the brightness or contrast). If the DIRECTV remote doesn't have any trouble turning the TV on but can't control the volume or turn it off, this would seem to be indicated.

I suspect that the green flash/low batter message is the result of a formal message from the remote as opposed to something the receiver determines by measuring IR intensity.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

I fixed the lagging remote problem I had by changing the batteries. I tried the battery check and got a solid green when meant they were OK but when I changed them the response went back to normal.

#8 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

I fixed the lagging remote problem I had by changing the batteries. I tried the battery check and got a solid green when meant they were OK but when I changed them the response went back to normal.

Excellent.
Glad that solved your problem. Thanks for the update.

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Congrats it got addressed.

Battery replacement is likely the top thing people forget about with their audio/video equipment....so don't badly. I slip in a small note with the new batteries that has the date of install on it.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#10 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

Congrats it got addressed.

Battery replacement is likely the top thing people forget about with their audio/video equipment....so don't badly. I slip in a small note with the new batteries that has the date of install on it.

Time would not work for me. I wore the buttons out in less than 2 years. LOL
I flip channels a lot and scan the Guide for things to record.
I have had HD for a little over 3 years and wore out 2 remotes already.
Time to go to Ebay again since I don't have any spares in the house now.

#11 OFFLINE   wukilla

wukilla

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

why would my remote work fine...only from 5' instead of how it used to from 10'+?

#12 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

why would my remote work fine...only from 5' instead of how it used to from 10'+?

For most any of the reasons I and other posters listed.

An IR sensor works by expanding and contracting from the heat, yep I know it is hard to believe, but the signal that we can't see heats up the sensor and then it rapidly cools off and creates the action.
When excess IR signals from most anything are in the room it keeps the sensor heated. When you then press the button on the remote and send a signal it may or may not heat the sensor enough to make it work. The tape keeps out the unwanted signals and allows the sensor to cool down so that it will react when you press the button on the remote.

When the batteries are weak it can do the same thing.
Being closer to the sensor helps keep the signal from being diluted as it passes thru the air.

#13 OFFLINE   wukilla

wukilla

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:33 AM

UPDATE: My wife worked her magic and got us a new remote. The new remote works from from my couch now without issue. So the problem was not with my T.V. like I expected and it was the remote. Thanks to all who replied.

#14 OFFLINE   swissin

swissin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

Just goto walmart and buy one.

spam firewall