Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can DRM expiration be applied to recorded content?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   misterp

misterp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

We all know that if you download a show through VOD, there may be some DRM attached to it and it will be automatically deleted after a certain tie (7 days, 30 days, whatever.)

But if I were to record a show while it is being broadcast - could the networks flag the show and have it expire as well? None of the networks are currently doing it (that I know of), but do today's DVRs have that ability? Or is there something about the way DVRs are programmed that the DRM is specifically used for IP-based content?

I've seen reports online that HBO flagged a John Adams mini-series to expire, but that was shown to be a bug in the system.

There also may be regulations preventing networks from doing this, but again my question is if today's DVRs - using current software - are technically capable of doing it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:36 AM

Yes they are.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,859 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

Yes, if the provider/DVR designer will obey what the content provider included in their stream.

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

Again, this technology opens a Pandora's box. Networks might be motivated to expire content after 7 days to motivate you to watch it within 7 days (otherwise it does not count in the ratings). But this same behavior could motivate you to stop watching that show altogether and watch some other show on a competing network.

Last years Southland eps had a DRM restriction preventing me from making DVDR+ analog SD copies (I liked to watch them at work during my lunch hour). Guess what--I stopped watching that show, so they basically shot themselves in the foot and lost a viewer by using too-restrictive DRM. Way to go.

They need to learn from the object lesson of the music industry (and Napster), which is in shambles because of too-restrictive access and draconic persecution. The iTunes model is the only thing that has saved what's left of it (thanks once again to Steve Jobs). What is keeping OTA, cable, FiOS, and DBS alive is that they provide access to live sports, special programming, first-run original series basically for free, while the cord-cutter crowd is left with NetFlix and the rest, and for most folks that will never be enough; cord-cutters' options are way limited compared to typical viewers. If the mainline sources start acting restrictive like Roku and Hulu+, guess what happens to that industry? Buh-bye.

Edited by TomCat, 06 October 2012 - 04:37 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   mobamoba

mobamoba

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

Again, this technology opens a Pandora's box. Networks might be motivated to expire content after 7 days to motivate you to watch it within 7 days (otherwise it does not count in the ratings). But this same behavior could motivate you to stop watching that show altogether and watch some other show on a competing network.

I think that would mostly motivate people to dump DirectTV and go pirate the content they want to watch.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,920 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

I think that would mostly motivate people to dump DirectTV and go pirate the content they want to watch.

If they required the satellite/cable/IPTV companies to force deletion on shows, especially if its a short time like 7 days, the consequences for the companies would be dire.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...