Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question about wiring and setup to add to my HR34

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   voltagexx

voltagexx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

This is probably a stupid question but I didn't see any solid answers to really find out what I needed to find out. I've currently got an HR34 as my only receiver (I also have an old HR20 that's not hooked up and is only being used to watch things recorded from my old place (this apartment already had an SWM setup so I couldn't use the HR20)).

Anyways I'm hoping to get something set up so I can watch my recorded programs on a second tv in another room, and I've never had that sort of setup so I'm very unfamiliar with it. I literally do not care if I didn't even get channels in the second room, though I'm sure that doesn't make any difference. Just wanted to mention it just in case that could make any sort of setup easier since I only want to access the DVR recordings in the new second room.

Will I need a new receiver as I assume, or is there a way to rig it up where I could use the old HR20 somehow? And second, what sort of new wiring should I be expecting? Sorry if these questions are confusing...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

I'd suggest that you look into getting the C31 box for the second TV.
This is not a receiver, but allows the viewing from the HR34.
The HR20 could also be used in a Whole Home setup.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,023 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

To use the HR20 in a Whole Home setup you'd need a DECA to interface the HR20's ethernet through the coax.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,476 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

I believe that the only HR20 that has a problem with the SWM setup is the HR20-100.

Even then it can be used with a bandstop filter in the line. I have seen a couple of diagrams with the arrangement for those.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

I believe that the only HR20 that has a problem with the SWM setup is the HR20-100.

SWiM, NO problem.
DECA, needs a special configuration to power the DECA.

The HR20 might be able to be used for the OP, but the question is if the apartment has another one or two SWiM channels free for it to be used.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   voltagexx

voltagexx

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:25 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. I was unfamiliar with the C31 but that does sound like something that would work for me, since I don't have to worry about the complaints people had about it not having its own tuner.
Only problem is, I can't seem to find anywhere I could actually pick that up. I saw somewhere saying it was available for 39 bucks but I can't find it. I'm thinking maybe my best bet is to just call up DTV and have them send somebody out and discuss the options. I'm hoping not to have to pay much up front as a loyal customer, and I know I'll have the $6 a month extra charge. :)

#7 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,903 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

Only problem is, I can't seem to find anywhere I could actually pick that up. I saw somewhere saying it was available for 39 bucks but I can't find it.

I'm not sure they are actually out in the real world yet, other than test units. But they should be any day now. The $39 price was a mistake.

You might check www.solidsignal.com for availability and price if you can't get one from DirecTV directly. Having DirecTV "send someone out to discuss options" probably isn't an option - they will send an installer with a specific work order to install a specific item.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...