Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Audio options for the HR24

receiver

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   teneighytp

teneighytp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

Hello. I have an older Yamaha receiver that does not have an digital sat/dtv coax audio input. It only has a dvd/ld digital coax audio input. It does have an optical input for sat/dtv. The HR34 only has hdmi and digital coax audio output (no optical). Should I get an Coaxial (RCA) to Optical Toslink Digital Audio Converter? I've seen them for $11 online. Or should I upgrade an hdmi receiver, which is a little out of my budget? Thanks for any input!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,738 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

I would try the converter to see how it works first.
If it doesn't work you could save for awhile until you could upgrade your receiver.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   teneighytp

teneighytp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

Since my dog ate the remote for the Yamaha, and it's at least 12 years old (is that old for a receiver?) I bought a Pioneer VSX-821 refurbished receiver.

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

Since my dog ate the remote for the Yamaha, and it's at least 12 years old (is that old for a receiver?) I bought a Pioneer VSX-821 refurbished receiver.

FWIW, I have the VSX-1121 and it works great with my HR24-100, using just the HDMI connector for audio and video.
/steve

#5 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,790 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

May I ask what you payed? I've seen new A/V receivers priced as low as $195.99.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#6 OFFLINE   teneighytp

teneighytp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

May I ask what you payed? I've seen new A/V receivers priced as low as $195.99.

$150. $189 with shipping.

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,738 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

Here is a Yamaha on Ebay for less than $200 delivered.
http://www.ebay.com/...=item4607f74fec

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,990 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

I recently got a Denon to replace a ten year old Sony. The features on the Denon make the Sony look like it's out of the ice age, but a lot has happened digitally over that period. The Denon plays nicely with my iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, Pandora, Netflix, Network radio (over IP), regular radio, and on and on. I bought it new, and it wasn't cheap, but not bad, either, at $400.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

The other thing you could have done was use the optical input for your dvd player, and use the digital coaxial for your HR34 and not buy anything....

#10 OFFLINE   teneighytp

teneighytp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

The other thing you could have done was use the optical input for your dvd player, and use the digital coaxial for your HR34 and not buy anything....

I tried that but it didn't work. The only digital coax input on the receiver is labeled dvd/ld, and sure enough it works with the dvd but not the sat.

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

I tried that but it didn't work. The only digital coax input on the receiver is labeled dvd/ld, and sure enough it works with the dvd but not the sat.

What's the model #? I had 2-3 Yamaha RX-V receivers in the past, and they used to let me re-assign any digital audio input to any device, no matter what the label.
/steve

#12 OFFLINE   teneighytp

teneighytp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

What's the model #? I had 2-3 Yamaha RX-V receivers in the past, and they used to let me re-assign any digital audio input to any device, no matter what the label.

RX-V396

#13 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

RX-V396

I had 3 RX-V2xxx's in the past, and they all allowed me to criss-cross and even re-name the digital inputs, if I so desired. I just checked your manual, and it's not a feature of the 396.

That said, why not just connect the HR34 to the DVD/LD input, and the DVD to the SAT/TV input?
/steve

#14 OFFLINE   teneighytp

teneighytp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

I had 3 RX-V2xxx's in the past, and they all allowed me to criss-cross and even re-name the digital inputs, if I so desired. I just checked your manual, and it's not a feature of the 396.

That said, why not just connect the HR34 to the DVD/LD input, and the DVD to the SAT/TV input?

I thought I tried that and it didn't work. I tried it again and it did. Funny. Doesn't matter now anyway. The remote is shot and I have an hdmi receiver on the way.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: receiver

Protected By... spam firewall...And...