Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

When is CBS-HD moving off of the wing satellites?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   richie

richie

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:36 AM

I installed my 921 2 weks ago and had to get a new switch in order to get programming fromm 61 .5 sat. The only reason i need 61.5 is to get cbs hd out of new york. My question is does anyone know when that channel is gonna switch over to the other sats so i dont have to use 61.5 anymore??Id rather not pay $200 for a switch for one channel .

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:40 AM

Thread moved and renamed to be more clear.

Welcome to DBSTalk, richie! :hi:

I dont' believe that the CBS channels will be moved off of the wings in the near future. You don't mention what kind of switch you need, but there is a user here selling SW64s in our Buy Sell Trade forum for $65 or thereabouts. DP34 switches cost about $120 or so usually.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   richie

richie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 10:01 AM

Thanks , I need the dp 34 switch i think. I just think it sucks that im using that sat for one channel. I live outside chicago and cant get the OTA CBS because teh signal is too weak. I get all my other locals but not CBS , I wish they would crank up there signal.

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 11:11 AM

I'd suggest calling your local CBS station and complaining about it to the engineering department (politely of course). Either that, or trying a larger antenna, or moving your antenna outdoors if possible.

All I watch off of my 148 dish these days is CBS as well. It'd be nice if it would move to 110, but there aren't enough people in the country that can sub to it to justify the space it would take on the main bird.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#5 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:24 PM

WBBM (CBS) in Chicago is on channel 2 (VHF) for analog and on channel 3 (VHF) for digital. Since most antennas are better at picking up UHF than VHF, it's generally quite difficult to tune the channel at all (i.e. analog or digital) if you are in the suburbs, not to mention that they generally have a weak signal anyhow.

However, I was told by Dish that I cannot get CBS HD from the satellite feed because there is a CBS non-O&O affiliate about 45 miles away in Freeport. Thus, Richie, if you are within the grade B contour of Freeport, Dish is going to deny your request for CBS HD from New York, unfortunately :(

#6 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 03:23 PM

I've read that WBBM in Chicago is broadcasting at full power on VHF frequency 3, but the FCC only allows 3.7kw. (or less in the directions of madison, WI or Champaign IL as both have analog channel 3's.)
VHF frequency 3 is very suceptable to impulse noise from a variety of standard electronics, which makes it a poor choice for a digital signal.
WBBM went through a big expense increasing the height of the antenna on top of the John Hancock building in order to maximize their signal (and reduce multipath bouncing off the Sears Tower.) Still, users in Chicagoland, need the largest rooftop VHF antenna available in order to receive the station at even 40 miles. Also reports from some users have shown that they needed perfect antenna to receiver wiring, as any problems in the wiring (kinks, etc) meant no signal. All that trouble makes the 2nd dish and switch seem easy and cheap.
(It was interesting reading the WBBM thread at avsforum for a while)

#7 Guest_new to HDTV_*

Guest_new to HDTV_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2004 - 07:45 AM

Can anyone get the CBS-HD off the 148? I am in Houston and currently have Dish 500 and my locals with 508 receiver but am getting a 921 and OTA antenna soon. I am about 40 miles from local CBS tower and was hoping to get the NY CBS feed so that I can get some national college basketball and football games and escape watching the Big 12 every weekend.

#8 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 08:21 AM

Check Dish's website and see if your address qualifies. You have to be in an exclusive CBS O&O market (Not receiving a grade B signal from a non CBS O&O, like Baltimore is a CBS O&O, but it receives enough signal from DC so no one in Baltimore qualifies) Or live in a CBS White area (Can't receive a grade B signal from any analog CBS affiliate. Usually 40 miles is not enough)
BTW the feed from 148 is the CBS LA station. The NY feed is on 61.5.

#9 OFFLINE   ChillinInTheBurgh

ChillinInTheBurgh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:55 PM

Do not expect Dish to move CBS HD anytime soon or to offer a discount on the 2nd Dish. Dish makes very little money on that channel ($1.50/month). Infact most people get if for free it they already subscribe to their local DMA package. One way around the cost of the 2nd dish is to call Dish and see if you qualify for for the free Must Carry 2nd dish then their would be no cost to you for any additional switches or installation.

#10 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 02:36 PM

Can anyone get the CBS-HD off the 148? I am in Houston and currently have Dish 500 and my locals with 508 receiver but am getting a 921 and OTA antenna soon. I am about 40 miles from local CBS tower and was hoping to get the NY CBS feed so that I can get some national college basketball and football games and escape watching the Big 12 every weekend.

When you use an antenna, which cities are you able to (at least partially) receive (analog) CBS from? In Texas, CBS O&Os are in Dallas and Austin, as far as I know, so if you are able to receive Houston locals (or are thought to be within the coverage area of such) including CBS, then this would be a non-O&O CBS affiliate and Dish would deny you CBS-HD because of their coverage.

#11 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 03:44 PM

In Houston it is possible in some areas to receive signals from two CBS stations, neither of which are O&O: KHOU, Houston, and KBTX, Bryan/College Station. So to get CBS-HD in some areas would need TWO waivers. KBTX would probably grant you one because you are not in their DMA but I doubt Belo-owned KHOU is going to budge at all! (Belo operates several cable news stations in Texas such as News 24 Houston and Texas Cable News)
Mike Richardson

#12 OFFLINE   kelliot

kelliot

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 11:12 PM

They should move it because D* is adding it, just to have equal HD capability.
Ken Elliott

spam firewall