Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish may be shutting Blockbuster down?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

It's a better deal because netflix has a larger selection and for many a faster delivery time both in tittle availability and speed of delivery. If you actually wanted the channels BB for the discs is fine. Since you don't Netflix is a better deal.

#22 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

I figure the DVD is worth about $5 of the $10, and the HD channels are worth about $5. Since I signed up with Amazon Prime ($6.67), I seldom watch any of those extra HD channels on Dish anymore, almost all the movies are on Amazon, along with tons of TV shows to stream. All the seasons of Midsomer Murders that my wife watches are available for streaming on Amazon (much nicer than waiting for 1 at a time disks). While the Amazon interface sucks compared to Netflix (and even Dish), I think it's the best value for the money. Of it's $7 price, I'd call $5 of it for streaming, and $2 of it for the free 2 day shipping. The only reason I'm on BB is to get the newer DVD's, if that goes away, so do I.

#23 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Yeah, I would have to go with greencine for my dvd rental needs. Forget being forced into a streaming plan first and then the dvd rental as an addon with Netflix!

#24 OFFLINE   PasTypique

PasTypique

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

I am very disappointed to here this news because I regularly receive "hard to find" DVD's from Blockbuster that Netflix and others don't have. Since there's no longer any physical store to go to, I guess I'm out of luck!

Anyone know when the DVD-by-mail service will officially end?

#25 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

^^^

In my experience, for the movies that I watch, BB didn't have about 10 - 15% of my Netflix queue. I never did find one that BB had that Netflix didn't.

#26 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Good article on the decision: http://www.ecommerce...gins-76337.html

All they are doing is shelving the idea of providing a steaming service to compete with Netflix.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#27 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Good article on the decision: http://www.ecommerce...gins-76337.html

All they are doing is shelving the idea of providing a steaming service to compete with Netflix.

Thanks for the link ...I read it but can someone please put it into a simple statement for me. Will I still be able to access the bb@home in my dvr menu pull up a movie or TV show that's listedand watch it? Also will the10$ a month bb@home package and the 15 or so channels that's included remain? Thanks

#28 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for the link ...I read it but can someone please put it into a simple statement for me. Will I still be able to access the bb@home in my dvr menu pull up a movie or TV show that's listedand watch it? Also will the10$ a month bb@home package and the 15 or so channels that's included remain? Thanks

Since we were not given what Dish's plans are now, there is no way to answer this question until we are informed by Dish.

spam firewall