Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gannett Hopping Mad Over 'Hopper' -- Longterm agreement reached!

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Gannett to stop broadcasting on Dish if ad-skipping feature not removed

"Gannett's demands translate into
more than a 300 percent increase..."

Oct 4 (Reuters) - Dish Network Corp said the broadcasting arm of newspaper publisher Gannett Co Inc has threatened to withdraw broadcasting on the satellite TV provider if it does not block the commercial-skipping feature on its digital video recorders or agree to pay massive penalties.

If Gannett Broadcasting lets the current broadcasting contract expire without renewal, Dish customers in 19 cities including Atlanta, Washington, D.C., Denver, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Phoenix and Sacramento would lose various ABC, CBS and NBC-affiliated stations, Dish said in a statement.

"Gannett's demands translate into more than a 300 percent rate increase, which would likely result in higher monthly fees for consumers."

Dish offered to pay Gannett market rates, including an increase of more than 200 percent above current rates, and offered to extend the transmission contract during negotiations, which Gannett has refused, the No. 2 satellite provider said. ...

More here.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   retiredTech

retiredTech

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

here is the link from Dish to find out more
and to send your comments to Dish and/or Gannett

http://www.dishvaluepledge.com/

#3 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

Same in Denver. But I think it's strange that they want a 300% increase. It seems they all want a 300% increase. Is that Charlie's go to number?

If they lose it in Denver they will lose a lot of subs. Including me (18 years). First AMC and now this. How many Dragons does he have to slay? Already made arrangements in case.

#4 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

There is a dispute over two NBC denver stations 9 & 20 as well. Personally and I mean personally I am tired of my bill going up each year to the extent that I may just start hopping back and forth between Dish & DirecTV every two years. What I get is a brand new installation with the latest equipment and at least a 1 year discount under a two year contract.

I support Dish playing hard ball with Gannet, AMC networks and others that may come up in the future provided it keeps my bill lower than DirecTV or cable. The content providers have needed a big wake up call for over a decade and maybe lossing 20 million customers in their revenue stream may provide that. This is not going to be the same goal for everyone, some people are willing to pay whatever the cost will be.

I read over and over again that neither cable or satellite are growing at rates they did 10 years ago. Many wonder if the subscriber rates will actually start falling. Keep in mind that many of the younger folk buying their first home are choosing streaming sources over satellite or cable and pay as you go may be the only audience left for content providers if they don't change their position. I think a perfect example of this is the music industry. When was the last time anyone bought a CD? Now days people buy the specific songs they want.

http://www.9news.com...mming/dish.aspx
VIP922, 1000.4 Western Arc Dish, Ronard Ultra Duty 3 Foot Satellite Tripod, RG6 Quad Thomas & Betts fittings. Samsung 55" 7100 LED, Sony PS3, Sunfire TGA-5400 Amp, Sunfire TGP-5 Preamp, Magnepan MG 3.6 front, Boston Acoustic CR8's rear, Thiel SmartSub SS1. CyberPower CP1350 UPS. Cisco E4200 Network.

#5 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

I just don't understand the strategy behind openly inviting/encouraging lawsuits and strained business relationships with things like the Hopper.
DTV = Digital Television

#6 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

Me either... we just keep getting fatter because we don't have to get off the couch to change the channel... now our thumbs are getting fatter because we don't have to hit the forward button 5 times every 15 minutes. Yeah it's a nice "free" feature for us couch potatoes, but if it causes a 1 cent increase in cost, I'd rather not have it. I'd rather see better guide interface (like delete 10 PTAT shows at once; and more folder options).

I just don't understand the strategy behind openly inviting/encouraging lawsuits and strained business relationships with things like the Hopper.

#7 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

Dish subs in Atlanta, Washington, D.C., Denver, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Phoenix and Sacramento would lose access to Gannett stations in their market.

Other cities that could be affected by a blockage are St. Louis, Little Rock, Tampa, Jacksonville, Macon, Bangor and Portland, Me, Grand Rapids, Buffalo, Greensboro, NC, Columbia, SC, and Knoxville,TN.

That's a ton of viewers, read 'ad revenues' for Gannett to forfeit and, potentially, a lot of programming content, read 'subscribers' for Dish to lose.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

While I think there are two issues in play over the dispute, cost to carry and commercial skipping, then why not offer the commercial skipping service as a fee option for those that want to pay it. Free Pandora includes commercials, $36 a year gives you commercial free music. I personally wouln't pay for add skipping if its going to raise my bill.

Happy late anniversary to us Nick! We joined in the same yy/mm/dd. Still miss dbsforums, started there before talk was born.

Edited by Marcus S, 05 October 2012 - 01:58 PM.

VIP922, 1000.4 Western Arc Dish, Ronard Ultra Duty 3 Foot Satellite Tripod, RG6 Quad Thomas & Betts fittings. Samsung 55" 7100 LED, Sony PS3, Sunfire TGA-5400 Amp, Sunfire TGP-5 Preamp, Magnepan MG 3.6 front, Boston Acoustic CR8's rear, Thiel SmartSub SS1. CyberPower CP1350 UPS. Cisco E4200 Network.

#9 OFFLINE   keifer27

keifer27

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Completely ridiculous to me. If I lose my channels, I will be switching.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

Customers want to skip commercials, channels don't want you to... customers don't want to lose their channels.

Dish can't win for losing.

If Dish takes away trick play commercial skipping features, customers will complain too... I guarantee that.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#11 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Always support the carrier over the content providers. Always.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#12 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Customers want to skip commercials, channels don't want you to... customers don't want to lose their channels.

Dish can't win for losing.

If Dish takes away trick play commercial skipping features, customers will complain too... I guarantee that.

It just doesn't seem very well thought out. Thumbing their nose at content partners and looking for disputes.
DTV = Digital Television

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,501 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

But it also doesn't make much sense to me the other way either. The customers that are likely to have a DVR (let alone a Hopper), are more likely to not watch commercials anyway, except maybe sports. How many people actually watch a recording and watch commercials? Other than stopping for an interesting looking commercial, watching it then continuing to fast forward, I don't really see it.

Seems like a wash in ad viewing either way.

#14 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Always support the carrier over the content providers. Always.

...except those times when you shouldn't. That content isn't owned by the service provider. It's a retransmission agreement, not a license to edit out a valuable source of revenue. They've already taken a hit from the usage of DVR's. Automatically skipping commercials just makes matters worse.
DTV = Digital Television

#15 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

I see it as thinking of their customers first.

#16 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

I see it as thinking of their customers first.

By inviting potential lawsuits and negatively impact business relationships with content providers?
DTV = Digital Television

#17 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

If you think about it, Gannett et al, should be offering to REDUCE rates in exchange for disabling Hopper, not blackmailing and extorting higher rates among threats.

This is 2012. People don't like being forced to watch commercials. They're appreciative of tools to help make them go away.

#18 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

By inviting potential lawsuits and negatively impact business relationships with content providers?

Embraces Dish's efforts. Direct your ire at the content providers who are making the threats and enriching the lawyers.

In fact, what Dish should do is offer the technology free to Direct and the cable companies, so they can all work together to stick their thumbs in the eyes of the content providers.

#19 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

In fact, what Dish should do is offer the technology free to Direct and the cable companies, so they can all work together to stick their thumbs in the eyes of the content providers.

That's called collusion and it's illegal.
DTV = Digital Television

#20 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

If you think about it, Gannett et al, should be offering to REDUCE rates in exchange for disabling Hopper, not blackmailing and extorting higher rates among threats.

This is 2012. People don't like being forced to watch commercials. They're appreciative of tools to help make them go away.

...so your solution is for content providers to accept less in retrans fees AND voluntarily give up ad revenue? That doesn't make any sense. What you are proposing would have a direct impact on the quality of their product.
DTV = Digital Television

Protected By... spam firewall...And...