Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gannett Hopping Mad Over 'Hopper' -- Longterm agreement reached!

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

this isnt fair to the other dish customers that dont have the HOPPER!:nono:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

Hoosier205, which are you ... a content provider or a paid lobbyist for one?

Commercials BAD
Skipping commercials GOOD!!

Content Providers BAD
Dish GOOD!!
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#23 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hoosier205, which are you ... a content provider or a paid lobbyist for one?

Commercials BAD
Skipping commercials GOOD!!

Content Providers BAD
Dish GOOD!!

I understand that there is a cause and effect. What you see as a positive impact on Dish customers also has the potential for a negative impact for viewers on the back end.
DTV = Digital Television

#24 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

Say What?, I spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years on local commercials for my stereo store. Why should I do that if companies make it easier and easier to skip them?

Commercials are effective advertising for local retailers and restaurants. They are a profit center for local television stations and cable service providers. When they are PSAs, and many TV stations donate time to local non-profits to help their causes, they are even good for the community. The Red Cross needs to get out the word that there will be a blood drive and they will be at these churches and schools on the following days.

The commercial skip feature of the Hopper can have effects down to the neighborhood bar which wants to let people know it has a 2 for 1 Happy Hour every weeknight.

As a guy who has created a lot of TV commercials, I am definitely pro-commercial.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#25 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

I agree with Hoosier. It doesn't make much sense to push the envelope to this level. Without Hopper, there are DVR customers who may get lazy when skipping commercials. I know that I sometimes forget, or I'll see something interesting and watch. With the Hopper, there is 0 chance an ad is going to be watched.

#26 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

So the content providers that produce/broadcast the programming you pay your service provider to retransmit are bad, while the service provider is good. Hmm...ok.
DTV = Digital Television

#27 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

I agree with Hoosier. It doesn't make much sense to push the envelope to this level. Without Hopper, there are DVR customers who may get lazy when skipping commercials. I know that I sometimes forget, or I'll see something interesting and watch. With the Hopper, there is 0 chance an ad is going to be watched.

Yep. It makes an already volatile relationship between service and content providers that much worse. As if there weren't enough acrimony.
DTV = Digital Television

#28 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

...so your solution is for content providers to accept less in retrans fees AND voluntarily give up ad revenue? That doesn't make any sense. What you are proposing would have a direct impact on the quality of their product.

How could their product POSSIBLY get any worse? :lol:

#29 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

How could their product POSSIBLY get any worse? :lol:

Name your favorite channel. Now take away a portion of their ad revenue and/or a portion of their retrans fees. Now imagine if other service providers do the same. That favorite channel of yours quickly becomes a shadow of its former self,
DTV = Digital Television

#30 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

Name your favorite channel. Now take away a portion of their ad revenue and/or a portion of their retrans fees. Now imagine if other service providers do the same. That favorite channel of yours quickly becomes a shadow of its former self,

I think they've already hit THAT point lol

#31 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

With all of the fees that these local affiliates get slammed with every year you would expect them to look for ANY excuse to try and get a rate hike.

Fact of the matter is ad-hop is optional, ad hop is off by default and you even have to go a few menus deep to turn it on.

Yeah this does effect the local mom and pop shops but gannet isnt looking to defend them, there just looking to get more cash at the end of the day.

#32 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

Content providers have been pushing the envelope for years. More commercials, less program time, more intrusive commercials in the programming and overlaid on the programming, all while the Execs take home bigger and bigger paychecks.

It's time for the carriers and viewers to start pushing back.

Less advertising money doesn't have to hit the quality of programming if the Execs weren't so greedy.

#33 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,746 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

The Hopper is just an easy target ... and DISH has already modified the product to appease broadcasters. If broadcasters had their way viewers would be able to skip any portion of television EXCEPT the commercials.

I'm sure that if the Hopper didn't skip commercials Gannett would just find another gripe to complain about. It is just low hanging fruit. Somehow these station groups and channel groups find something to dispute ... even in cases when the carrier isn't DISH. :)

#34 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

With all of the fees that these local affiliates get slammed with every year you would expect them to look for ANY excuse to try and get a rate hike...

What fees?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#35 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

I just turned Prime Time and auto-hop on last week. Personally, I think the auto-hop feature does more to get ads to me than w/o auto hop. With auto hop you seem to get 2 or 3 seconds of the ad (which seems to be programmed to get the main gist of the product across). When I skip manually I ignore everything and skip much faster thru the ads. I think more about the product with that 2-3 second shot. If I thought the commercial was interesting enough, I'd go back and watch it w/o autohop (haven't done that yet). Dish could collect more from the advertisers to put their 3 second spot into auto-hop.... subliminal advertising...

It's a choice... we need more of that! If providers/advertisers don't give customers what they want, more will be losing customers to streaming content.

#36 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

DISH has already modified the product to appease broadcasters.

According to who? Dish?

Edited by Hoosier205, 05 October 2012 - 04:22 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#37 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

What fees?

The affiliates have to pay fees to ABC, Fox, CBS ect just to transmit that to us, there usually pretty outrageous too.

The reasons these disputes always happen is because they have to pay an ass load to stay on the air and expect to make the majority of that through companies like Dish and DTV on top of the money they get from ads.

#38 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

It is just low hanging fruit.

Yeah, you gotta be careful when they start grabbin' fer yer grapes!

According to who?

Hoyle?

I seem to recall that the way Hopper works was altered a few weeks back.

#39 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

I seem to recall that the way Hopper works was altered a few weeks back.

Right...they gave the illusion of passing responsibility on to their customers in an attempt to avoid a lawsuit. Rather than auto hop being on by default, customers have to select it. Dish hopes that is enough to appease the content providers they are treating with so little respect. Perhaps they should have considered the negative impact of
their actions first.
DTV = Digital Television

#40 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

Channel 9 Denver just carried a segment on their 10/5 4p news at 4:30. Dish spokesman claims Gannet wants Dish to disable auto hopper in their Hopper DVR's, Gannet claims there is no such wording in the currently proposed contract. Sounds like a presidential debate. I would guess this translates into Gannet has no wording in their contract regarding auto hopper skip, but there are potentially two different contract prices Dish can choose from?
VIP922, 1000.4 Western Arc Dish, Ronard Ultra Duty 3 Foot Satellite Tripod, RG6 Quad Thomas & Betts fittings. Samsung 55" 7100 LED, Sony PS3, Sunfire TGA-5400 Amp, Sunfire TGP-5 Preamp, Magnepan MG 3.6 front, Boston Acoustic CR8's rear, Thiel SmartSub SS1. CyberPower CP1350 UPS. Cisco E4200 Network.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...